• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Well, it's taken forever, but I have finally beaten Pokemon Leaf Green with only Poison-types! I will be moving on to Gen II now, playing Crystal. Just to show some proof of my victory, here are some screen shots.

Spoiler:

There you have it. I'll just go back and do Electric after I finish all of Poison. Cya guys later!

Bob III

Person
Years
Team after beating Ghetis:
Spoiler:

Got through the story stuff from finishing the game
Caught a Frillish - named her V
Got EXP Share in Iccurus from Pokemon Fan Club Chairman
V evolved into Jellicent
Got Energy Ball TM and taught it to V
Got Ice Beam TM and taught it to V and J
Caught a Ditto, who I traded for Eeks the Rotom on Route 15
Switched Rotom into Water Mode and replaced Z with him
Got Earthquake TM and taught it to L
Began Training

Current Team:

J - LVL 65 Samurott
-Surf
-Dig
-Ice Beam
-Slash

L - LVL 63 Seismitoad
-Surf
-Sludge Bomb
-Drain Punch
-Earthquake

Q - LVL 62 Carracosta
-Surf
-AncientPower
-Crunch
-Rock Slide

G - LVL 66 Swana
-Air Slash
-Aerial Ace
-Surf
-Fly

V - LVL 63 Jellicent
-Surf
-Energy Ball
-Ice Beam
-Hex

Eeks - LVL 63 Rotom (Wash Mode)
-Hydro Pump
-Electro Ball
-Hex
-Charge

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
Alright, I'm going to abandon my current challenge and begin a new one. Username: Thebeast21799, Single or Ultimate: Ultimate, Type: Water, Game(s): Blue, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and Black 2. Planned Team:Cloyster, Lapras, Slowbrp, and Starmie. Why no Blastoise? Because these are the water types of red and blue's OU Tier according to smogon, and I wanted to go through this challenge using only OU pokemon according to gen and smogon's Tier placement, and Blastoise is UU on smogon's Tier list.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
Years
Final monowater update. Beat Iris (blegh) and beat the game!

- Trained the team to Level 60-somethings in the tall grass near the league. Parivir ended up going the highest, reaching Level 70, with Vonne in second at Level 69 (HA!)

- Parivir ended up becoming much more useful after I went back and got him the Eviolite.

- Went for the league. First match: Shauntal

- When it came to Shauntal's Ghost Pokemon, I had no specific advantage or disadvantage, except for Shuriken's Psychic typing, but I didn't use him in the fight. Instead, I relied on a combination of Parivir and Weasley to win the fight.

- Next Match: Marshal. His Fighting Pokemon kept me from using Fatso, but the biggest help was Vonne and, of course, Shuriken. Most of his team was demolished with Shuriken's Psychic, but when he was wiped out due to a weak defense, Vonne stepped in and helped out.

- Next Match: Grimsley. His dark types kept Shuriken out of the fight, and since I had no specific advantages or disadvantages again, I went with the Weasley-Parivir combo. Although Fatso and Raid did step in once or twice.

- Next Match: Caitlin. Her Psychics were dealt with the same way as Shauntal and Grimsley's Pokemon. This time, though, every member of my team got a turn, though Weasley and Parivir did most of the work.

- Finally, I reached the Champion Iris. Fatso was an obvious lead choice here, with three of his moves being Ice-typed, so I went in. Iris's first couple of Pokemon (Hydreigon and Druddigon) did a number on Fatso before he wiped them out with Ice Beam.

- Then, enter the Lapras. Lapras was basically a defensive wall against all my water types and it took their collective force to beat it up.

- Archeops was easily brought down thanks to his weakness to my water attacks.

- Aggron seemed menacing at first, but Parivir was able to take it out with one swift Surf because of its rock-typing. Phew!

- Finally, Haxorus entered the seen. Iris's signature Pokemon attacked first almost wiping out Fatso before an Ice Beam was launched. Crit hit! Then... Focus Sash. With his last move, Haxorus destroyed Fatso, but I sent out Weasley who, being faster than Haxorus, should've been able to finish him off. Obviously, Haxorus got a Max Potion. Weasley was quickly killed, so my last hope was Raid, the last Pokemon in my party with an Ice-type attack.

- Raid's Ice Beam got Haxorus back down to 1 HP, and the vile creature went in for the kill. Although it beat Raid, I sent out one final Pokemon, Shuriken, and finished him off once and for all.

- The Dragon was slain... as was the princess, I suppose. I had won! Finally, after the battle, Parivir had gained a level and wished to evolve. Since he had done so much for me, and since I had beaten the game anyway, I granted his wish.

- Challenge completed! Fun playin, y'all! :D

Zohan's Hall of Fame Team:

Samurott_BW.gif

Name: Parivir
Final Level: 71

walrein.gif

Name: Fatso
Final Level: 65

swanna.gif

Name: Vonne
Final Level: 69 (HA!)

419.gif

Name: Weasley
Final Level: 64

224.gif

Name: Raid
Final Level: 61

121.gif

Name: Shuriken
Final Level: 67​

(Cue ending theme)

Bob III

Person
Years
Pokemon White Water Monotype Final Update:

Trained whole Team to LVL 70 for second Elite Four
-Shauntal was pretty easy, Cofagrius managed to take down 2 Pokemon but after it I was able to use secondary types to my advantage and 5-0ed the rest of her team
-Marshal was easy, used G to 1 or 2 hit kill all his pokemon except Toxicroak, who I had L kill with Earthquake
-Beat Grimsley with secondary type advantages
-Caitlin was somewhat hard and took down 5 of my Pokemon, but it was partly RNG based as she was able to take down Eeks and V (who had Shadow Ball) with crits
-Took a few resets, but defeated Alder

Final Team:

Spoiler:

Going to begin a Dragon monotype next

Last edited:

Harmonixer3500

Pokémon Master
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 19, 2018
I know it's been a bit too long since I posted but my emulator was giving me crud so I had to restart on my DS. Anyway here it goes. I finished training Zubat and Gastly to lvl 13 so at least Zubat could fight Falkner (as opposed to lvl 28 for Gastly). I then fought Falkner and defeated Falkner (Zubat had 1 HP left). Then I went south through the Union Cave and upon reaching Azalea I entered Ilex Forest and caught an Oddish. Now training Oddish and getting rid of Team Rocket at the Same time.

Bob III

Person
Years
Pokemon FireRed Dragon Monotype

Named myself Bob III and my rival Rufus
Hacked in a Dratini as a starter - named it Squiggle
Did beginning story stuff
Grinded to LVL 15 to get a decent attacking move (Twister)
Beat Rufus
Got through Viridian forest easily
Beat Brock by spaming twister
Got through Mt. Moon
Defeated Rufus in Cerulean City
Helped Bill
Defeated Misty using Dragon Rage
Caught an Oddish as an HM Slave
Squiggles evolved into Dragonair on SS Anne
Defeated Rufus on the SS Anne
Defeated Lt. Surge
Got through Rock Tunnel
Defeated Team Rocket's Hideout
Defeated Rufus in Pokemon Tower
Got the PokeFlute after clearing Pokemon Tower
Defeated Erica

Current Team:
Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Challenge
Spoiler:

Badges
50px-Zephyr_Badge.png
50px-Hive_Badge.png
50px-Plain_Badge.png

vs
111.gif
Spoiler:
Current Team
Spoiler:

Challenge
Spoiler:

Badges
50px-Boulder_Badge.png
50px-Cascade_Badge.png
50px-Thunder_Badge.png
50px-Rainbow_Badge.png
50px-Soul_Badge.png
50px-Marsh_Badge.png
50px-Volcano_Badge.png

vs
107.gif
Spoiler:
Current Team
Spoiler:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
So, since I was ignored :( I decided to restart my Bug Monotype Run!

Currently, I'm on the way to Ecruteak City, trying to get my team up to Lv. 20.

Spinarak Lv. 20 - Poison Sting, Leech Life, Shadow Sneak, Constrict
Heracross Lv. 19 - Headbutt, Aerial Ace, Brick Break, Endure
Pinsir Lv. 18 - Headbutt, Revenge, Bind, Seismic Toss
Scyther Lv. 17 - Quick Attack, Agility, Headbutt, Pursuit
Yanma Lv. 15 - Headbutt, Sonicboom, Quick Attack, Double Team
Butterfree Lv. 18 - Gust, Poisonpowder, Stun Spore, Confusion (not training him anymore)

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2015
Pokemon Heartgold Mono-Water Update #6 & #7
Badges:
rzXbLXk.png
8Tn6ITr.png

EFhJLIl.png
TD1DQJy.png

gmAhVDM.png
01y2CqA.png

w6j2ZzU.png

I went back to Olivine and brought the medicine to Jasmine and fought her. Even though her Magnemite and Steelix were higher leveled then me I beat her with my Feraligatr's dig
After I got the Mineral badge I went to Route 42 and Mt. Mortar, and stopped all of Team Rockets shenanigans, and then I fought Pryce which was very easy, since I just spammed my Polibo's Focus Punch.

Last edited:

Bob III

Person
Years
Got a second Dratini named Moose in the Safari Zone
Grinded Moose to LVL 40
Beat Rufus in Silph Co with the Ice Beam TM from the game corner
Squiggle evolved into Dragonite
Was able to beat Sabrina with Wing Attack
Got the Gym Key from Cynnabar Mansion
Defeated Blaine with Moose's surfing.
Moose Evolved
Got a few extra TMs and used them (Brick Break and Flamethrower)
Got through Victory Road
Grinded Squiggle and Moose to LVL 60
Elite Four
-Defeated Lorelei using Brick Break and Thunderbolt
-Defeated Bruno using Surf and Wing Attack
-Defeated Agatha using Dragon Claw and Wing Attack
-Defeated Lance using Thunderbolt for Gyarados and Dragon Claw/Ice Beam for the rest of his Pokemon
-Defeated Rufus using specific moves for each pokemon
--Pidgeot - Ice Beam
--Gyarados - Thunderbolt
--Rhydon - Surf
--Alakazam - Wing Attack
--Arcanine - Surf
--Venusaur - Ice Beam

Final Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Username: Holodif
Type: Ice
Challenge: Single
Game(s): Ruby

I'll start playing right away

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Type: Bug
Game: Blue
Badges: 8

Alright, so in recent news, I've been more or less rushing through the game, all the while grinding my ass off sped-up emulator style. I bought myself a Pinsir at the Game Corner, because the Safari Zone was proving itself a real *****.
Sabrina was fun. Parasect put her first Pokémon to sleep, which gave Beedrill enough time to set up an Agility and a Swords Dance and then proceed to sweep with Twineedle.
Koga was easy enough, but a bit more difficult. I honestly don't really remember there being any other strategy that Butterfree using Psychic, but it fainted at one point. I think. Or maybe that was Parasect?
Blaine was a hilarious match. Parasect sweeped his entire team with Dig - Rapidash and Arcanine had terrible luck with their accuracy, and Parasect survived two Fire Spins.
Giovanni was Parasect's and Butterfree's match. Parasect would use Spore + SolarBeam against his first couple of Pokémon, and Butterfree would use Sleep Powder and Psychic against the Nidos.

I'm off to the Pokémon League!

Current team:
Spoiler:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Type: Bug
Game: Blue
Badges: 8

CHALLENGE COMPLETE!
Spoiler:

Blasted through it by now. Here's a breakdown of the league battles:

Spoiler:

And here's my final team:

Spoiler:

This was a tiring challenge, mostly because - and I'm not proud of admitting this - I think I'm tired of the Gen I games. The graphics and the slow pace, (unless the space bar was pressed, but then things moved too fast for the eye to follow at all) I dunno, I just can't do that these days. I'm accustomed to something a bit more shiny, I'm sorry to say - which is why my next challenge will be finishing up my Grass UMC, going with Pokémon White!

Bob III

Person
Years
Hacked in Bagon named Steve
Did story stuff
Defeated first 3 gyms with no problems
Caught a Swablu named Yarggh on route 114
Trained Yarggh to LVL 25
Defeated Flannary with Steve
Trained Steve to LVL 38, and Yarggh to LVL 35, where he evolved into Altaria
Defeated Norman spamming Dragonbreath on both Steve and Yarggh (switching them when they got Yawned)

Current Team
Spoiler:

Leaving on a trip tomorrow, so won't update for a few days

Dr. Koga

Red wishes he was me...
Years
I'd like to challenge! =)

Username: Dr. Koga
Type: Steel
Challenge: Single (for now, but maybe ultimate after I finish this)
Game(s): Blaze Blake
I'll try to update every Tuesday.

I also have a question. If I use a hack of fire red that lets me catch all the 386 pokemon, can I use it and catch pokemon not available in fire red?

Last edited:

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
Update #1
- I got Bulbasaur as my temporary starter.
- I got the Pokédex.
- I caught Pikachu in Viridian Forest and named her Sparkelia and I dropped Bulbasaur in the PC.
- I defeated my rival.
- I got through Viridian Forest and grinded Sparkelia up to level Lv. 12.
- I failed to defeat the trainer at Brock's gym.
- I grinded her up to Lv. 16.
- I failed to defeat Brock.
- I grinded her up to Lv. 18.
- I failed to defeat Brock... again.
- I grinded her up to Lv. 20.
- I failed to defeat Brock... AGAIN.
- I got the Boulderbadge, FINALLY after a lot of tail whipping.
- I made my way through Route 3, 4 and Mt. Moon.
- I got to Cerulean City.
- I defeated my rival.
- I am now at the Nugget Bridge, fighting all the trainers there.

Team:
Spoiler:

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
Well, here it is. The next two legs of my ultimate grass monotype: Hoenn and Sinnoh. I'm particularly excited for these two; I've actually done a solo with a grass-type before in them (well, almost did with Sinnoh before I lost my file). Also, my team in Hoenn will all be of different dual-types! ^-^ Anyways, let's get these started with a rather hefty update #1:

Hoenn (Emerald) - 2 Badges
Spoiler:

The team so far:
Spoiler:

Sinnoh (Platinum) - 1 Badge
Spoiler:

The team so far:
Spoiler:

Interesting that both grass starters are female. And from my experience, these are the two that are depicted as female most rarely.

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Hey guys, I'm here with an update.

Part 1: It's All A Breeze

What happened:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Proof:
5qNOZ8F.png

That's it for now. Goodbye!

Status