• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KING KRIS

I AM BACK !
Years
thanks 0m3GA AR$3NAL and my QUESTIOn do you need to have both diamond and pearl to get all the sinnoh pokemon EDIT what items do i need to use nintendo ds wifi and where can i find them

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Like when editing an ingame sprite, how to change the available colors while keeping it indexed.

The easiest way is to export the sprite and then use programs like Photoshop (which is just the first one that got into my mind) where you can edit indexed pictures, as well as palettes. When you're finished, you just import back the new sprite.

BattleBeastEXP

Competitive Double Battler
Years
  • NJ
  • Seen Jun 20, 2009
Alright, well, I'm pretty much a total beginner at scripting, and I was just trying to edit the text in my LG ROM. So here's my question. In Oak's lab, how can I get the two professor's to say something different? I try to edit them, but they always end up saying the same thing. It doesn't really matter, I was just wondering how. Like I said, I'm a complete beginner.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Alright, well, I'm pretty much a total beginner at scripting, and I was just trying to edit the text in my LG ROM. So here's my question. In Oak's lab, how can I get the two professor's to say something different? I try to edit them, but they always end up saying the same thing. It doesn't really matter, I was just wondering how. Like I said, I'm a complete beginner.

Look in the Document and Tutorials section for scripting examples and tutorials.
It's better making a new script rather than simply editing text.

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2012
Well, my computer isn't that fun, First off, When I try to edit someone's text with a script editor, all the text disappears and the game freezes for one thing. and another, whenever I use advanced text, It says "Overflow, Advanced Text will now quit" have anything to help me?

AmusedRaccoon

Dilettante
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
I was wondering (I'm quite new to ROM hacking in general, especially scripts and the like, so forgive me if it's a dumb question):

how does the Morning/Day/Night palette changing in G/S/C work?

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
I was wondering (I'm quite new to ROM hacking in general, especially scripts and the like, so forgive me if it's a dumb question):

how does the Morning/Day/Night palette changing in G/S/C work?
It's pretty simple, really. When you start the game, it will ask you for the time. This will affect the palettes' change in the game. At certain times in the game, the game's palettes will change to either Morning, Day or Night.

AmusedRaccoon

Dilettante
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
It's pretty simple, really. When you start the game, it will ask you for the time. This will affect the palettes' change in the game. At certain times in the game, the game's palettes will change to either Morning, Day or Night.

...yes, thank you, but I'm asking in a ROM hacking context--as in, exactly what script does the game use to change these palettes, if indeed it is a script (to my knowledge, scripts and ASM are very different, and calling ASM a script would be incorrect--maybe I'm wrong, though) and how and where is all this stored?

To take a different approach, how would one go about (a) modifying/overriding this system in G/S/C, or (b) replicating it in GBA?

Or if, for example, I wanted to replace some G/S/C tiles with my own, which have different palettes, would I have to change those palettes for all three times of day--and if so, how?

..heh, I guess explaining my simple question makes it sound a bit more complicated... but, thanks in advance, and sorry again if this is a stupid thing to ask.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
Oh, I'm pretty sure I understand you, don't worry. I think that the changing of time, from morning, day, and to night, is quite definitely ASM, because I'm quite sure that it is impossible to script something of the such. If it IS possible to script something that complicated, it would undoubtedly be difficult.

As for "modifying/overriding the system in G/S/C" or "replicating it in GBA", I think that it would be close to impossible to modify the system in G/S/C, although it might be possible with some ASM. ASM can make basically anything possible.

For the replication to GBA, I'm quite sure that it IS possible (as it has already been discovered by a few hackers, including Mastermind_X and ~Tutti~) using ASM. I think that it is 100% possible in R/S/E, but I'm not so sure about FR/LG, as there is no time system.

Lastly, if you want to replace certain G/S/C tiles, you don't have to import them with different palettes, as the Day/Night System in G/S/C changes the hue of the tiles (or so I'm told), so you don't have to worry about it. It would be very bothersome and difficult if that had to be done.

Oh, and don't worry, that wasn't a stupid question at all. It was actually a pretty good question. Newbies at ROM hacking usually ask really obvious question, I actually had to think to answer this one. :P

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2015
Hi.

I'm making a hack for Fire Red, and I used Advance Map to create grass patches in Viridian City. Now, whenever I exit the Pokemon Center (or any other building) or run from a pokemon battle, my game screen stays at the black screen, while the music still plays. When I battle pokemon in route 1, my game progresses fine. However, when I get to the hacked Viridian City, this will always happen. I put sunlight as my weather, and I also changed the looks of the houses and gyms. If possible, could you figure out what causes the black screen after battles and exiting buildings? Thanks. I'm using VBA 1.80 Beta 3.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
The only thing I can say is you're either not editing it correctly, your ROM may have been already hacked, or you could have gotten a bad ROM. I've gotten my share of bad ROMs in the past, as well.

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2015
The only thing I can say is you're either not editing it correctly, your ROM may have been already hacked, or you could have gotten a bad ROM. I've gotten my share of bad ROMs in the past, as well.

Are you sure? I tried out the raw rom on my VBA, and didn't get this problem. As for the editing problem, that's probably the problem, however I do not know where to start concerning this.

Years
You need a DS, a Game that uses Wifi, and an internet source.
_________lA store _______lA store l____________________ lJust about anywhere. l

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Hi.

I'm making a hack for Fire Red, and I used Advance Map to create grass patches in Viridian City. Now, whenever I exit the Pokemon Center (or any other building) or run from a pokemon battle, my game screen stays at the black screen, while the music still plays. When I battle pokemon in route 1, my game progresses fine. However, when I get to the hacked Viridian City, this will always happen. I put sunlight as my weather, and I also changed the looks of the houses and gyms. If possible, could you figure out what causes the black screen after battles and exiting buildings? Thanks. I'm using VBA 1.80 Beta 3.

Looks like your ROM got screwed up, indeed.
Feel free to try with a clean one first, you shouldn't ever get the same results.
Also, what did you edit besides maps? And what did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back