• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

2nd Gen Red Gyarados

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
Most of you playing the oldies, GSC, would remember the only shiny Pokemon that appeared in part of the storyline of the GSC Games. The shiny Garydos at the Lake Of Rage was pretty elusive, if you didn't have the right Pokemon and Pokeballs to capture it. Did you capture it? If not, how did it slip through your hands? Or maybe, you didn't even want the Garydos in the first place? Let's get posting, PCers! :D

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
Years
He didn't slip through my hands when I happened across him. I saved right before the encounter! :D

I used him all the way up to the Elite Four. I mean, who wouldn't?! He was a RED GYARADOS!!!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Oooh, good topic. <3 Makes me happy! Anyway, I missed it the first time playing Silver. :( I've gotten it subsequent times and have used it. I don't really remember what caused me to mess up the first time, though. I wanna say an accidental crit and I didn't save right before facing it, so yeah. ;( Never made that mistake again haha.

Years
The first time I can recall playing, I actually knocked out the Red Gyarados, but luckily I saved right before I went to battle it. I did catch it the second time around, though, and it quickly became my Water HM slave, just as it did in HeartGold.

I do remember that the Red Gyarados was one of the first Pokemon that I practiced cloning, though. I think at one point I had well over a dozen (and it's not like they were holding Rare Candies or anything...).

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
It did not escape me the first time I played the game, it when in to the box straight away as I had a water type already. Sure I would of used it if I hadn't had a water type in my party already.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
I was so amazed by it...like it was a legendary, haha! I saved before and ultimately caught it. Little did I know that it was a shiny, or that it would probably be the only shiny I'd ever catch.....heh.

Years
The only shiny I've ever encountered in my 5 generations of Pokemon playing,I always saved before hand not about to let that thing go,so epic.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
I've been playing pokemon since pokemon yellow very first came out. i learnt that when i was going up against an 'event' pokemon i would save before hand. i learnt this from zapdos over 10 years ago. i always used to turn my game off if it wasn't a male. back in those days i obsessed over having an all male team. sexist i know. but yeah. i was young and under the impression females where weaker. :P
but he did nothing but sit in my box afterwards. poor red guy.

Sirfetch’d

I caught it and it made a valuable member on my team! It was really weak to be honest, but I knew it was special so I made him work. I always made sure I caught this guy everytime.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
I never caught him, I never really liked him to be honest. I think it's due to those childhood days on Red trying to get the magikarp you buy at mt moon to evolve. God that was repetitively boring lol.

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
I've been playing pokemon since pokemon yellow very first came out. i learnt that when i was going up against an 'event' pokemon i would save before hand. i learnt this from zapdos over 10 years ago. i always used to turn my game off if it wasn't a male. back in those days i obsessed over having an all male team. sexist i know. but yeah. i was young and under the impression females where weaker. :P
but he did nothing but sit in my box afterwards. poor red guy.

A bit off topic, but in Gen I and II, females were weaker than males XD

In order for a poke to be female, it would have to have an attack DV of 0 or 1. So yes, you were right XD

But yeah, I always made sure to catch the Red Gyarados whenever I play the game, even now.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I captured it every time I encountered it (I have Silver and Crystal). I mean, who wouldn't want a red Gyarados? I raised him to a high level and had Dragon Rage amongst its move set but I forget the other moves I taught it.

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I caught him a few times - sometimes I killed him on accident. I think I probably used him once or twice for the whole game, but for the most part, no. He was pretty cool though!

Years
I remember the first time I played Silver version, I decided to use all the Pokemon which were rare for only one in the game; all except Legendaries, of course. I had Typhlosion (of course), Togetic, Espeon, Sudowoodo, the Red Gyarados, and I believe that was it. The Red Gyarados didn't phase me with "how I was going to catch it?", but rather how hard it hit! So the first time I got to that point, I was so scared it might kill my team, I killed it! Luckily I saved before...so I got it at the second try. He's a very strong pokemon!

Years
I've caught him in Gold, Silver and Crystal. He was my main Water Pokemon in Silver (I put Feraligatr in the Box for him).

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2016
I remember this guy lol
I knocked him out the first time thinking it was just the female version, kinda like Nidoran lol... and later that day I watch the episode when they encounter it and explained it was special and what not... I felt so dumb lol

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 28, 2023
always caught it, but never really use it.
now that I think about it, the shiny Gyarados in gen II is the blue one, cause I believe all player catch it, which means only a few player have Blue Gyarados. LOL

Back