• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pair of Starter Decks?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Aug 18, 2019
My nephew wants to dip his toes into this game. His parents bought him 6 packs of cards, because they read that a deck should contain 60 cards. He then asked me to show him how to play, even though I don't know how myself.

Our game went very badly. We each had "decks" consisting of 3 random energy cards and 30 random other cards. I was so frustrated by the time we finally managed to bring that game to a close, that I immediately went online and bought a box of 450 basic energy cards, with the idea that I'd give them to him the next time a gift-giving occasion came up... or the next time he asked me to play with him... whichever came first.

But once I was thinking a little more clearly, I realized I should have just bought him a starter deck. Because lack of energy is not the only problem he'll have trying to build a deck with those cards. (This revelation came on too late to cancel the order. So I've got that sitting around the house now.) Actually, I realized I should get him 2 starter decks, so he can lend one to whichever family member he ropes into playing with him.

Anyway, I come to you now for suggestions on a pair of starter decks that are fairly evenly matched. I don't want to set him up where deciding which deck he uses himself, and which he lends to the other person, pretty much decides who wins.

Also, how likely are cheep internet basic energy cards to be fake?

Years
My nephew wants to dip his toes into this game. His parents bought him 6 packs of cards, because they read that a deck should contain 60 cards. He then asked me to show him how to play, even though I don't know how myself.

Our game went very badly. We each had "decks" consisting of 3 random energy cards and 30 random other cards. I was so frustrated by the time we finally managed to bring that game to a close, that I immediately went online and bought a box of 450 basic energy cards, with the idea that I'd give them to him the next time a gift-giving occasion came up... or the next time he asked me to play with him... whichever came first.

But once I was thinking a little more clearly, I realized I should have just bought him a starter deck. Because lack of energy is not the only problem he'll have trying to build a deck with those cards. (This revelation came on too late to cancel the order. So I've got that sitting around the house now.) Actually, I realized I should get him 2 starter decks, so he can lend one to whichever family member he ropes into playing with him.

Anyway, I come to you now for suggestions on a pair of starter decks that are fairly evenly matched. I don't want to set him up where deciding which deck he uses himself, and which he lends to the other person, pretty much decides who wins.

Also, how likely are cheep internet basic energy cards to be fake?

So, the only analogue to Starter Decks that we have in the modern era are Trainer Kits, which come with two 30 card half decks that are set up in a specific way in the box to walk you through how to play. Each half can be merged together after the learning trial to give you a functioning (but not necessarily good) 60 card deck. If he understands how to play, then you don't need a Trainer Kit, though.

How old is the kid? I want to recommend some better theme decks over the Trainer Kits but age (and whether he has some attention disorder like ADD or ADHD) might affect his ability to focus on more advanced concepts.

As for the Energy, the box you bought sounds like it's the official Basic Energy Box given the number of energy it contains.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Aug 18, 2019
How old is the kid? I want to recommend some better theme decks over the Trainer Kits but age (and whether he has some attention disorder like ADD or ADHD) might affect his ability to focus on more advanced concepts.

He's turning 6 in about a month. I have no frame of reference, but my mother says he's "a bright 6," whatever that means.

Theme decks should be good. Actually, a quick search reveals that that's the real name of the things I'd seen and thought were called "starter decks."

Years
He's turning 6 in about a month. I have no frame of reference, but my mother says he's "a bright 6," whatever that means.

Theme decks should be good. Actually, a quick search reveals that that's the real name of the things I'd seen and thought were called "starter decks."

Unless he sees a theme with his favorite Pokemon, get the Torrential Cannon and Mach Strike theme decks. Should be relatively balanced.

Back