• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat: What even is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
For those of you who don't know, I work at a college campus computer lab, and today I found uTorrent installed on a computer. It was likely done by a student but holy cow does that violate the college's computer use policy. :|

When I was at school, once, I found Steam and Counter-Strike: Globally Offensive installed on one of the lab PCs. Funny, but at the same time violates the rules.

Years
Well, my desktop's internal Realtek sound card was malfunctioning recently by doing this static popping noise every now and then, and really fucking with my computer's sound. I uninstalled the drivers tonight, rebooted, reset my BiOS settings, and then let Windows do its magic. Hopefully the issue is resolved.

Raffy98

Years
Well, my desktop's internal Realtek sound card was malfunctioning recently by doing this static popping noise every now and then, and really ****ing with my computer's sound. I uninstalled the drivers tonight, rebooted, reset my BiOS settings, and then let Windows do its magic. Hopefully the issue is resolved.

Is it a dedicated sound card or an integrated one?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
For those of you who don't know, I work at a college campus computer lab, and today I found uTorrent installed on a computer. It was likely done by a student but holy cow does that violate the college's computer use policy. :|
Some people used to install stuff on the PCs of my old university, as well. Used to play Minecraft, Skyrim, Terraria and what not. Well, at least they were smart enough to reset the computers afterwards so that nobody noticed that they knew the admin password. {XD}

Years
When I was at school, once, I found Steam and Counter-Strike: Globally Offensive installed on one of the lab PCs. Funny, but at the same time violates the rules.
Well, I guess we as lab techs are a bit guilty here, because we installed Steam onto our computers in the front. And some computers in the lab have League of Legends installed on them (not because we wanted it, but rather students who wanted it).

Years
Well an update on my sound card: the popping hasn't seemed to happened in quite a few weeks. It involved me pretty much doing two or three clean installs of the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer (Asus), as well as maybe one from Realtek themselves.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
I heard sound cards are rather... redundant... now-a-days. What are the opinions here?

Arsenic

Years
I'm curious..what makes you think they're redundant?

A lot of newer Mobos are coming with pretty decent audio suites. A bunch of headphones as well.

I have a soundblaster pro that I... Liberated... From a family members storage room. Even with all that fun to get it, it was nothing more than a fancy red light in my PC because it didn't have a USB port for my headphones (I wish I didn't get USB headphones) and because the headphones had their own built in audio suite anyways. Sadly I can't fit the SB anymore because my new graphics card is too big and my lowest Pcie is dead. Rip. Case is a lot darker.

The new Mobo I plan to get advertises an amazing sound system as well, built right in.

Years
A lot of newer Mobos are coming with pretty decent audio suites. A bunch of headphones as well.

I have a soundblaster pro that I... Liberated... From a family members storage room. Even with all that fun to get it, it was nothing more than a fancy red light in my PC because it didn't have a USB port for my headphones (I wish I didn't get USB headphones) and because the headphones had their own built in audio suite anyways. Sadly I can't fit the SB anymore because my new graphics card is too big and my lowest Pcie is dead. Rip. Case is a lot darker.

The new Mobo I plan to get advertises an amazing sound system as well, built right in.
Guess I missed the cue that you were talking about soundcards in general, oops. Still thought you were talking about mine, which is actually built into the mobo. :)

And in other news, my grandmother moved recently and instead of opting for FiOS through Frontier Communications, she wanted to get DSL service, which is what she had at her old house for many years. She wanted copper phone service too because she didn't want her phone to go out during a power outage, which is understandable enough, except her speeds are going to be slow as fuck since she's moving further away from the central office.

Raffy98

Years
Are you sure your adapter/cable isn't damaged? I was having a problem where my phone was taking an unusually long amount of time to recharge and it turned out that the cable was opposing a lot of resistance, replaced it and everything went back to normal.

Years
Are you sure your adapter/cable isn't damaged? I was having a problem where my phone was taking an unusually long amount of time to recharge and it turned out that the cable was opposing a lot of resistance, replaced it and everything went back to normal.
I did find what appears to be a crack going up the middle of the plug on one side, but so far it seems minuscule since it doesn't move when I pinch it. However, I do know it's a crack because I can feel it by running my fingers across it.

Thankfully my phone hasn't done this the past two nights, and I know which side to plug the device in with the Lightning connector now.

Raffy98

Years
I have no idea why Microsoft has made accessing safe mode in Windows 10 so difficult, I have a virtual machine in VMWare which is having some problems with its display adapter (most likely the wrong version of VMWare tools is installed) and as soon as it boots the screen goes black and I can't see what I'm doing.
F8 doesn't work and neither Shift + F8 does because it boots too fast, so what I did was pressing Ctrl + Alt +Del at every boot sequence until it thinks it can't boot and it starts the automatic PC repair... such a pain.
I miss the good old days when pressing F8 was enough...

Last edited:
Years
Welp, I was doing a firmware update on a router today and the firmware from the manufacturer bricked the fucking thing.

PSA: Don't buy Belkin. Ever.

Arsenic

Years
I have no idea why Microsoft has made accessing safe mode in Windows 10 so difficult, I have a virtual machine in VMWare which is having some problems with its display adapter (most likely the wrong version of VMWare tools is installed) and as soon as it boots the screen goes black and I can't see what I'm doing.
F8 doesn't work and neither Shift + F8 does because it boots too fast, so what I did was pressing Ctrl + Alt +Del at every boot sequence until it thinks it can't boot and it starts the automatic PC repair... such a pain.
I miss the good old days when pressing F8 was enough...

Yeah it's pretty goofy that you have to boot into windows and go to Safe Mode from an option in the settings. I mean I can understand wanting to get rid of the button mash, but doing so by removing the option altogether doesn't seem like a solution at all...

Raffy98

Years
Yeah it's pretty goofy that you have to boot into windows and go to Safe Mode from an option in the settings. I mean I can understand wanting to get rid of the button mash, but doing so by removing the option altogether doesn't seem like a solution at all...

Exactly, if you can't boot into Windows and you want to try safe mode you need to have a repair disc or you try that, which is not the best solution though. I really don't understand this choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back