• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 12, 2021
Does this count as a bug?
jDlEEZ9.png

I don't remember how it worked on Vanilla Crystal, but as you can see, my Lv100 Typhlosion is getting experience which is a waste. It should go to the Pok?mon I've put an exp. share on instead, in my opinion.

HI 5! My Thyplosion is also named Cinder :D

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Some bugs:
Bugs:
At Olivine Pok?center the green guy still says that a sailor at Olivine Caf? taught his pok?mon Strength.
Maybe I'm just really unlucky but I can't find Entei even when I'm at the route where it's suppossed to appear (this didn't happen with Raikou).
No pok?mon can learn Water Pulse by tutor.
If you delete Lyra's number there's no way to get it again?

Also... How do you battle Bill?

Fixed these.

Catch all three legendary beasts, then talk to Bill.

Does this count as a bug?
jDlEEZ9.png

I don't remember how it worked on Vanilla Crystal, but as you can see, my Lv100 Typhlosion is getting experience which is a waste. It should go to the Pok?mon I've put an exp. share on instead, in my opinion.

That's how every generation works. I did just remove the exp gain message for level 100 Pok?mon, but they'll still take a share of the exp from battle.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 27, 2017
Hello I'm playing on the 3.0.0 beta and these are the bugs I've noticed so far; when reading the unknown pokedex the text boxes all glitch out, my pp is never used, sometimes my items will be used and after a battle remain with the Pok?mon as if it hadn't be used. That's all I've seen so far. Love the hack!!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 28, 2024
nearing 100% completion, beat lance 2nd time around and weakness policy crashed the game on his level 80 dragonite.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
Years
Well, if you need the latest patch built from github, here you go.
However, it seems to have broken compatibility with old savefiles, so you'll have to start everything again.

Hi community, I would like to know if it's normal the next case...
Today I start to play the beta version mentioned above (I don't know if this is really the latest version), what intrigues me is what happens with the PP's located in second, third and fourth place, I mean, after any battle they're restored automatically, while the attack placed first does not (which is normal).

Does this happen to someone else? Is it a bug?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
Checked both, Goldenrod's and Celadon's Dept. Stores, I see no Solar Stone for my Sunkern.
Where can I find them?

They're prizes for getting first place in the Bug Contests that take place every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
They're prizes for getting first place in the Bug Contests that take place every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
And that's the only way..? Dang it, if I had remember it, I wouldn't have sold the ones I had ;_; ...
Oh welp, thanks for the answer, gotta wait and get it tomorrow.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 25, 2021
Hi community, I would like to know if it's normal the next case...
Today I start to play the beta version mentioned above (I don't know if this is really the latest version), what intrigues me is what happens with the PP's located in second, third and fourth place, I mean, after any battle they're restored automatically, while the attack placed first does not (which is normal).

Does this happen to someone else? Is it a bug?

I get a similar sounding issue. Sometimes after a battle ends, the first move in the moveset of the first Pokemon in my party loses a lot of power points. My other moves do appear to have to have their PP restored though.
NEW Polished Crystal 2017-07-05 11.09.01.png
For example, this is Eevee right after a battle, and I've only been using swift since I entered the cave I'm in and last healed. It's happened on more occasions before, with some at really bad times.

Years
  • Seen Aug 26, 2022
No I didn't forget about this:
Spoiler:

Notes:
_as far as front sprites are concerned, only Ho-Oh's pose was unchanged, it still has a different color pattern however;
_Rapidash's shiny coloration is based on Ponyta's;
_Genger's shiny coloration is based on its Mega-Evolution's;
_Blissey's shiny coloration is based on Chansey's.

I do have all those sprites in individual format if anyone's interested.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 2, 2017
I have found a bug which wasn't there in old versions and in the 26th june beta:
My pokemon keep oneshotting everything: Lyra's chikorita, wild pokemons and trainer pokemons.
I've tried vba and emumaster but the bug is still here so is not emulator-related
I'm playing 3.0.0. beta, commit 8418dce (the latest on github)

EDIT:
Thanks Rangi for correcting this.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
part of me wishes there was a DV calculator specifically for this hack, but I know that would be difficult. I wanna play the game without using the Max IV setting available at start but obviously that would take a lot of the game away for someone who likes to breed pokemon as well as battle. I probobly should disable natures if anything to make the DV calculator seen on Psypoke more accurate but at the same time I dont wanna lose this totodile I started with either as it seems pretty decent

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
Fixed PP issues for party, thanks for the reports.

part of me wishes there was a DV calculator specifically for this hack, but I know that would be difficult. I wanna play the game without using the Max IV setting available at start but obviously that would take a lot of the game away for someone who likes to breed pokemon as well as battle. I probobly should disable natures if anything to make the DV calculator seen on Psypoke more accurate but at the same time I dont wanna lose this totodile I started with either as it seems pretty decent

You can use the calculators for later generations, just keep in mind that IV precision is half of what it is in III and onwards. For example, if the calculator claims you have 0-3IVs, what you actually have is 0-1.

0DV = 1IV
1DV = 3IV
2DV = 5IV
3DV = 7IV
4DV = 9IV
5DV = 11IV
6DV = 13IV
7DV = 15IV
8DV = 17IV
9DV = 19IV
10DV = 21IV
11DV = 23IV
12DV = 25IV
13DV = 27IV
14DV = 29IV
15DV = 31IV

Of course, there's another thing that throws a wrench in this -- some pok?mon have changed base stats.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 2, 2017
I think there's something wrong with physical damage when a pokemon is burned:
ieHeXOI.png

When Totodile isn't burned it deals 5 damage to my cyndaquil using scratch, but even when is burned by Flame Body it continues to deal 5 damage as it was before.
It loses life every turn as intended though.

Pokedex entry are a little glitchy:
a1PhCmF.png

I've found a Bellsprout with a Gold Leaf but it's stats are all zeroed:
HWc9PuL.png

e3TVrWS.png

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Fixed PP issues for party, thanks for the reports.

Of course, there's another thing that throws a wrench in this -- some pok?mon have changed base stats.

Which is exactly my issue here

Which is exactly my issue here

You have access to the base stats and you know the formula. Calculate them yourself (the math is simple) or code a calculator that will do it for you. Rangi deliberately put in the Max IVs option so that this wouldn't be an issue for people who care about min/maxing. I've seen many of your posts around and I honestly cannot see why you constantly expect hackers to go out of their way to fix issues that only you seem to have. Most players don't hardcore EV train or breed in a hack because (especially for this hack) it's pointless to do so. In fact, you are literally the only one I've seen in all my years on PC who does. I think it is unreasonable to expect these things from hackers for the one person in a hack's playerbase who will utilize them.

Rangi, I started playing but ended up mired in more real life stuff before I could really dig in. I'll get to Polished Crystal and the feedback I promised when I can.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 25, 2021
When I first got my Ariados, something that bugged me(pun intended) about it was its menu sprite, mind you I do still highly appreciate the custom sprites for each Pokemon, and really enjoy the added detail.
Pokemon Polished Crystal 2017-07-05 21.05.11.png
With the sprite currently in the game, my criticisms mainly derive from how square Ariados' head is, as well as the big size of the dark area around it's eyes.

I have two different altered versions made at the moment just to see if anyone would like either design more. What do you think of these?
Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 10.27.03 PM.png
I have, of course, kept the same pose, limited the sprite to three colors, and kept within the 16x16 boundaries. Each sprite can be flipped to get the animation that plays in the menu. What do you think about this possible change?

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I think having a rare item for it would be a good idea. And yeah, I meant more for the trios, not so much Ho-oh, Lugia, Mewtwo, etc.
Like I can see multiple legendary birds existing without much problem, but having a bunch of Mew wouldn't make sense at all. I mean, I can totally get why official games don't have it that way, but it kind of makes sense for the birds to be able to lay eggs? Of course I think of the legendary birds and beasts as a very rare species and not one-of-a-kind, but that's just me.

As for TM stuff, in Gen 5 onward TMs are treated like key items. You can't sell them or dispose of them. But as long as it's made clear that TMs are reusable when you add that feature, I don't think people will go about buying a bunch of the same one just to waste money, especially since it's a negative exploit if anything.

Pokemon Snap sets precident for legendary pokemon eggs so yeah I can see that. Though the anime implies Lugia can breed as well. Hell the anime shows the presence of multiple Mew in the world. It would take some serious consideration to really make this work proper if breeding legendaries is done.

Perhaps for articuno, zapdos, and moltres you find actual eggs of those pokemon in the world and fight an uncatchable mother of each egg to claim it? Or perhaps Team Rocket could target the eggs and the mother entrusts you with one out of the number of eggs they have as a thank you for saving the whole nest? Pokemon Chronicles has an episode where the GSC rival goes to the sevii islands ad tries to catch a moltres but passes on the capture. It'd be a nice nod to have another confrontation with Silver for the aquisition of Moltres which can serve to drive him crazy due to how he cant imagine the player to get a legendary pokemon egg let alone a legendary pokemon (referencing dialogue from the Ekruteak City burned tower encounter). Perhaps there could be a tie in with the anime's whirl islands with the baby lugia as well with this in mind, but that might be a hard sell.

With Raikou, Entei, and Suicune the legends state they are one of a kind for obvious reasons.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 13, 2024
Sorry if (some of) these have been reported already:

1. Mons in the Hall of Fame slideshow have a glitch bar above them. Same with the player character.
2. This one has been around since 2.2.0 and I finally got sick of ignoring it: it's possible to not activate the event with Lawrence by flying to Vermillion. It's also possible to walk up to him in his initial position and prompt the "object event" text box.
3. Lawrence disappears after the "camera" panning on Zapdos (after completing the Power Plant quest). The rest of the "cutscene" plays perfectly fine, though.
4. Only a ridiculously small part of Lucky Island actually shows up (single tile row of: shore, grass, "sand" and shore). You can only surf through them.
5. Battle Tower receptionist sorted me in the level 90 tier despite having a level 100 mon.
6. It's possible to stay in the Battle Tower elevator. Exiting it resumes thr script as usual.
7. I know that there are several components that still need to be finished, but 1. All the BT trainers have 3 fainted mons yet one will be sent into battle (and faint after any move is used); and 2. None of the BT merchants are functional.
8. Player character spawns in the PokeCenter counter which can lead to the player getting stuck behind it.
9. Magmortar being sent in crashes the game
10. Talking to the NPC in the Celadon house where the Dubious Disc is acquired crashes the game.
11. Battling the Rich Boy in the Celadon Hotel crashes the game. The error occurs before a mon is sent.
12. Candela doesn't appear in Fire Island; the other two do in their respective islands.
13. This might be attributed to the TODO nature of some of the trainers in the area (where the pantless Slowking is) but some of them only have a level 50 Bulbasaur.
14. Girl who sells Shell Bells/Shed Shells (whichever one heals 12.5% of the damage done) takes the player's money but doesn't give any items in exchange.
15. Weakness Policy doesn't activate all the time.

Some feedback, if you don't mind:
1. The Johto part of the game is waaayyy shorter than the Kanto one, to the point that Johto feels like an addendum to the game (rather than being the main region).
2. The leaders are extremely easy to beat. This is easily remedied, though, by giving them better mons (for instance Farfetch'd works better as a Flying gym mon than a Fighting one, or Girafarig being a better Normal gym mon than a Psychic one), semi-wildcards (Chuck could definitely use an Electabuzz in his team as it's a Fighting evolver, or a Rhydon for Jasmine), better movesets (they're Gym leaders after all, breeding shouldn't be a problem) and items (Eviolite Pidgeotto, Scyther or Magneton would be an actual challenge), etc. I modified my beta to have a more competitive Gym Leader roster and beating them actually feels rewarding.

Milesilus

Memelord
Years
When I first got my Ariados, something that bugged me(pun intended) about it was its menu sprite, mind you I do still highly appreciate the custom sprites for each Pokemon, and really enjoy the added detail.
View attachment 82391
With the sprite currently in the game, my criticisms mainly derive from how square Ariados' head is, as well as the big size of the dark area around it's eyes.

I have two different altered versions made at the moment just to see if anyone would like either design more. What do you think of these?
View attachment 82393
I have, of course, kept the same pose, limited the sprite to three colors, and kept within the 16x16 boundaries. Each sprite can be flipped to get the animation that plays in the menu. What do you think about this possible change?
No offense intended from my unfiltered thoughts, but your proposed revision looks like unwashed Stunky ass to me. In addition, I don't see anything wrong with the sprite you're trying to replace. The current version looks like the general Yellow art style, whereas your version looks the general Red/Blue style (even when I was 5 years old I didn't find R/B/G's sprite aesthetic tasteful whatsoever). Eye of the beholder, I guess. All I know is, as a fan of Ariados (Poison is my favorite type), I find the current menu sprite very detailed and stylistically perfect. [shrug]

Nonetheless, I greatly respect you for suggesting what you feel is an improvement to this project. Keep it up!

In other news, thank you Rangi, faithful Polished Crystal is everything I was looking for. My only wish is more difficulty from the start and throughout! I wouldn't be opposed to the inclusion of an option that would engage Pyrite-inspired level caps, or other "hard mode" mechanics besides Nuzlocke (never been a big fan of losing progression). Even so, I can't find anything to complain about, especially with 3.0.0 and all its features around the corner. I'm glad I found this project at such an exciting time!

Back