• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Dreary [100% Complete, 1/28/2019] (v1.4, 3/26/2019)

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2023
Thanks, glad you like it. I completely forgot about the nicknaming... I'll make sure to add that in for the next patch. Also, the v1.4 patch decreases the level curve in Unknown Tower, so that may help you out. :)
I'm aware that someone else tried editing their save and using cheats, and the game broke for some reason as well. I'm not sure if your case is the same.

Just to clarify: did you battle Darkrai and lose? After you lost, the game should have reset and sent you back to your last save. Returning to Darkrai's room should trigger the same scripts, since everything was reset after losing. Perhaps you forgot to jump down the black holes and talk to Xergle, Nietzsche, and Palkia? The Darkrai script will trigger after speaking to those NPCs.

Thank you for the quick and helpful response!

Uuu, dang, I just realized I might be playing v1.1 because I downloaded it a while ago. My bad. Well, maybe I'll end up replaying it eventually...

Yeah, I battled Darkrai and lost, then after the reset I was in the X room. I left to grind, and when I came back, the battle wouldn't trigger. But you were right! It seems that I have saved before talking to those three, so doing that did the trick. Now I can get my butt kicked all over again! Thanks so much!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 23, 2020
Hey! I loved the game. I've played a lot of romhacks but this one is definitely the one that I love the most. I would do a deeper analysis but I'm not really a good english speaker so I'll just say that I loved it, really. I think there is a lot of people that dont share this opinion with me but, I LOVED the ending. That was just cool.

Thanks a lot for the game, I hope we'll see more projects from you!

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2023
I finished the game! What an extraordinary hack. I hope I didn't miss out on too much new dialogue that you added in 1.4? And do you suppose the postgame will be old savegame compatible? I'm looking forward to it.

As I've mentioned, I was playing 1.1, so I apologize if anything I say is outdated by now.

Ok, now on to impressions. I loved the story. You did a mature pokemon story much better than most attempts I've seen. It really left me wanting more! I had a real feeling of mystery and... dreariness throughout. The writing could use some polish, such as more foreshadowing of Dreary, and more concise dialogues (I felt you could express the same information in less words in many cases). But the core, solid. And I liked the ending too - I like unexpected twists like that hehe.

I didn't even mind the limited pokemon choice, to be honest. It made me use Hitmonchan, which I've never done before, and I loved him really.

Bulbasaur was really mostly useless if not for Leech Seed. I would not use it if I were to play again, too many Fire and Psychic type opponents.

I was so sorry for Darkrai at the end... never mind Aphrodite. I will be very sorry if you don't make a sequel!

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Hey! I loved the game. I've played a lot of romhacks but this one is definitely the one that I love the most. I would do a deeper analysis but I'm not really a good english speaker so I'll just say that I loved it, really. I think there is a lot of people that dont share this opinion with me but, I LOVED the ending. That was just cool.

Thanks a lot for the game, I hope we'll see more projects from you!
Great, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The ending will be expanded upon in v1.5.
Currently, I'm working on launching a Community ROM Hack, which will be available for submissions sometime before May (hopefully).

roqi said:
I finished the game! What an extraordinary hack. I hope I didn't miss out on too much new dialogue that you added in 1.4? And do you suppose the postgame will be old savegame compatible? I'm looking forward to it.

As I've mentioned, I was playing 1.1, so I apologize if anything I say is outdated by now.

Ok, now on to impressions. I loved the story. You did a mature pokemon story much better than most attempts I've seen. It really left me wanting more! I had a real feeling of mystery and... dreariness throughout. The writing could use some polish, such as more foreshadowing of Dreary, and more concise dialogues (I felt you could express the same information in less words in many cases). But the core, solid. And I liked the ending too - I like unexpected twists like that hehe.

I didn't even mind the limited pokemon choice, to be honest. It made me use Hitmonchan, which I've never done before, and I loved him really.

Bulbasaur was really mostly useless if not for Leech Seed. I would not use it if I were to play again, too many Fire and Psychic type opponents.

I was so sorry for Darkrai at the end... never mind Aphrodite. I will be very sorry if you don't make a sequel!
There were a few new instances of dialog / changing some NPCs around, however nothing major. :)
The postgame will definitely be savegame compatible.

My writing isn't the best, but I really like when backstories and such are fleshed out, so the myriad of words (especially in Unknown Tower) doesn't bother me much. But yes, I agree, there are some places where the dialog could surely be ironed out. Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2023
There were a few new instances of dialog / changing some NPCs around, however nothing major. :)
The postgame will definitely be savegame compatible.

My writing isn't the best, but I really like when backstories and such are fleshed out, so the myriad of words (especially in Unknown Tower) doesn't bother me much. But yes, I agree, there are some places where the dialog could surely be ironed out. Thanks for your feedback!

Glad to hear I didn't miss out!

Oh I didn't mind the amount of reading at all! I like reading, didn't feel like there was too much of it. I would like to see more hacks with more involved stories like that. I just felt like it could be condensed a little - like some sentences were repeating the same thing, like how hopeless Aphrodite felt in her backstory. I got it the first time it was said. It's just a minor complaint though and something to be figured out with practice I guess! Keep up the good work.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 28, 2021
Hey Anthroyd, In cinnabar island, there is a note on the counter of the pokemon mart. What's that for. And i'd like to know the piano music from the opening/start

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Hey Anthroyd, In cinnabar island, there is a note on the counter of the pokemon mart. What's that for. And i'd like to know the piano music from the opening/start

You're able to decipher the note in Cinnabar Laboratory using one of the computers in the fossil conversion room.
Piano music is from a visual novel called Ever17. The song is called "Karma."

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 16, 2023
Hello there ! Usually I only write reviews in my native language, but for once I have the chance that the creator of a Pokéhack is still quite active, and given that I sensed real effort put into this hack, I thought I could share some feedback to you and decided to create an account just for that occasion.

First, kudos on wanting to create a story-focused Pokéhack. Playing Pokéhack is kind of occasional hobby of mine and I have beaten quite of number of them, with many rehashing the official games' "template scenario" without too much originality. Boy am I tired to beat gym leaders and save the world from a more or less stupid Team !
I liked the atmosphere too, you can feel the despair and the weirdness around and there are incentive to know the truth. And there is enough mon variety to make a decent team.
Now for some (constructive, I hope) criticism :

- The tower's battles could benefit from a re-scale. The rest of the game is manageable enough, but after the power plant (which was little more than a trainer fest) it was a bit tiring for me, especially with the seemingly out of nowhere possibility to input numbers in order to mass-murder the same mons.

- I was relieved when I saw the main character wasn't amnesiac, but the "chosen one" trope is still a bit light. So okay we were chosen because we are resistant to fright (useful against the killing "rain"), but was all the mumbo-jumbo about different timelines really necessary ? Dialga and Palkya are so restricted in their powers (didnt't quit understand why) so that they cannot send several persons instead of a lone wolf ? And if we are the "classic" champion, why is a Pikachu the only Pokémon we can have as a starter ? Can't the PokéGods gather more help is the situation is that dire ?

- Some lucky eggs might be welcome in the Sylph building. I think many players ransacked the place to death through various Pokéhacks, it could be a nice reward since one's pretty much forced to grind through all the policemen battles, while it doesn't always make sense that they attack you.

- I understand the need for plot exposition, but the mechanical Abras are a bit clumsy of a device for this. Sure we would understand less without them, but they really seem like an ad hoc narrative machine rather than something well implemented in the setting- even with their teleport ability. I'm used to wall of texts (one of my favorite games is Planescape Torment) but here it was difficult to digest it, with the "all telling/ no showing" choice. Since Darkrai can seep into dreams, wouldn't that be a more fluid way of telling the backstories ? Allowing even some "cutscenes".
And for Nietzsche (a bit too obvious a reference ?), he could tell his tale himself.

- And finally, the ending. Writing good endings is not an easy task, and I'll be blunt : in my opinion, this one renders the whole experience almost pointless. The fact that our avatar dies isn't even the main issue. Even if the way it's done is disappointing : there's no way out, no possibility to defend yourself. Can't the Pokégod of time save us ? And the "congratulations, you're dead" is quite uncalled for.
No, the main issue is that it's easy to feel that our character didn't accomplish anything. The trainers beaten are of no consequence and the tower lays intact. The only thing would be that Darkai has a change of heart- but he's still controlled anyway, no ?
When I finished playing your romhack, I was left wondering what was the point of all of my actions. Clearly the antagonist won't be hindered- we were just a distraction to him !

I look forward to the postgame content you announced, because not only I feel a lack of closure, there are questions unanswered (Dreary felt rejected, allright, but more info on how a became a not-so-well intentioned extremist would be nice, for example).
All in all, I don't regret trying Pokémon Dreary, I just feel it could achieve better results with some fixes, most notably the ending.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Thanks for playing and giving feedback on Dreary for the past year. This was the first hack I released publicly, so it was interesting to see where things perhaps could have been improved and where things were a-okay.

Dreary's aftergame has been officially CANCELLED. v1.4 was the final release for this game.
Instead, Pokémon Aphrodite (a sequel to Dreary) has begun development today.

I know I've had the "an aftergame is in development" note up for a long time, so I thought I'd give an update for those who may be interested.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Loojaw said:
Will the sequel take place in a new region, not in any official games?
Aphrodite will likely be set in various areas, including Kanto, Johto, and some brand new locations.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Just finished the hack and my god I loved it! For me, the difficulty level was perfect. High enough that I actually had to think about which pokemon I was sending out, but not so big that I was left feeling frustrated and I think I could have even finished the game without grinding if I was more willing to use items, but that's entirely on me.

The only thing I want now is a follow up to the story! I need all those juicy details on Dreary and the world he's trying to create and the satisfaction of actually getting to beat him XD

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Esila said:
Just finished the hack and my god I loved it! For me, the difficulty level was perfect. High enough that I actually had to think about which pokemon I was sending out, but not so big that I was left feeling frustrated and I think I could have even finished the game without grinding if I was more willing to use items, but that's entirely on me.

The only thing I want now is a follow up to the story! I need all those juicy details on Dreary and the world he's trying to create and the satisfaction of actually getting to beat him XD
Phew, good. Was hoping for that feel of difficulty. Sometimes people complain that it may have been too hard at Unknown Tower, but that's why I gave the player a merchant to buy from. Yes, I plan to flesh out all of the characters' motives as well as develop on the world that Dreary is working to create. Thanks for playing. ^_^

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jun 27, 2023
Wow. This game was so... special. This calm/nostalgic/call it the way you want atmosphere is great. And the end... So this is how it feels like to not be able to fix everything in a Pokemon game. Anyway I'm definitly a big fan.

Years
Just finished playing and I really enjoy the difficulty and healing/resource management mechanics. I know this is an old hack and you've probably improved a lot since then, but I'll leave my small review anyway!

Two errors I noticed:
-If your party is full when you go to pick up the charmander in silph co., the error message is, "fr nayblue your party is full", which I assume was a typo in changing the font colour;
-"Ridiculous" is misspelled as "Rediculous" a couple of times, although the only specific occasion I can remember is when the player and May teleport just outside Viridian.

I do kind of agree with some of the feedback given on the ending, although I totally see what you were going for! I'd maybe build up just a little bit to the idea that the player can't win, e.g. have them fight an unwinnable battle, have Dreary use the tech to rob their pokemon from them, etc. just to ease the player into the sense of "Oh shit, I actually don't have any power here". To be honest the player suddenly getting jumped, turned into a small skull and crossbones and then the hall of fame playing honestly got a laugh out of me, which I don't think was the tonal intention there? (That said, maybe I'm just grouchy and bad at suspending disbelief- Nietzch's backstory also made me laugh, because the idea of some lad's fat nerd friends being bullied so he kills twelve people struck me as falling a little short of the right type of edgy.)

It's also worth noting that you can pretty much sweep the entire game from the power plant to darkrai if you have a good dark-type move, because the vast majority of the pokemon that the threat team have are weak to dark.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
cheetour said:
Just finished playing and I really enjoy the difficulty and healing/resource management mechanics. I know this is an old hack and you've probably improved a lot since then, but I'll leave my small review anyway!

Two errors I noticed:
-If your party is full when you go to pick up the charmander in silph co., the error message is, "fr nayblue your party is full", which I assume was a typo in changing the font colour;
-"Ridiculous" is misspelled as "Rediculous" a couple of times, although the only specific occasion I can remember is when the player and May teleport just outside Viridian.

I do kind of agree with some of the feedback given on the ending, although I totally see what you were going for! I'd maybe build up just a little bit to the idea that the player can't win, e.g. have them fight an unwinnable battle, have Dreary use the tech to rob their pokemon from them, etc. just to ease the player into the sense of "Oh shit, I actually don't have any power here". To be honest the player suddenly getting jumped, turned into a small skull and crossbones and then the hall of fame playing honestly got a laugh out of me, which I don't think was the tonal intention there? (That said, maybe I'm just grouchy and bad at suspending disbelief- Nietzch's backstory also made me laugh, because the idea of some lad's fat nerd friends being bullied so he kills twelve people struck me as falling a little short of the right type of edgy.)

It's also worth noting that you can pretty much sweep the entire game from the power plant to darkrai if you have a good dark-type move, because the vast majority of the pokemon that the threat team have are weak to dark.
Hey, glad you liked it! Yeah, there may be a few of those color text errors floating around, although that's the first time someone has mentioned one to me. I've always spelled it "rediculous" since that's how it's pronounced. Never knew it was actually "ridiculous" until recently.

It's not a matter of improving over time, really. Dreary was meant to be a very casual and low-effort project (not to say I didn't take it seriously.) It isn't supposed to be incredible with its technical details or present a flawless story. The primary focus was seeing how well I could implement a dreary atmosphere, and judging from what others have said, it sound like I succeeded. Sounds like you enjoyed the ending, which actually makes me laugh! xD Yeah, it was a pretty bizarre way to die. Thought it would be funny to break the unwritten law of video games and just kill the hero at the end, haha. Now we know why it's an unwritten law--nobody really wants that to happen! ^_^

Back