• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Okay, now it's Chansey's turn.

Red/Blue:
Spr_1b_113.png

Wow this sprite makes Chansey look fat. And what is with that foot? I mean it just looks like a fat line, in fact when I was little I didn't know it was a foot.
2.5/10
Green:
Spr_1g_113.png

Now Chansey looks fatter than before. I also hate the lines under its eyes and mouth. In total a awful sprite.
1.5/10
Yellow:
Spr_1y_113.png

This sprite is really good. Its colours are really good for the first generation and you can tell the bar is a foot because it is the right size. And for the first time it is proportioned right.
7/10
Gold:
Spr_2g_113.png

I Looooooove this sprite. It looks so cute, I like the colours, I like its pose and it will always be my favourite. All in all best sprite of all in my opinion.
10/10.
Silver:
Spr_2s_113.png

Not as good as the Gold sprite but still very good. I like how it looks like it's going to give me a big hug.
8.5/10
Crystal:
Spr_2c_113.gif

I love this sprite! However not as much as the Gold one for one reason only. The sprite is too dark. However I love how it blows you a kiss. It looks adorable.
9.5/10
Ruby/Sapphire:
Spr_3r_113.png

This sprite is just above average. I don't mind the pose but the colour makes it look more red than it should.
5.5/10
LeafGreen/FireRed:
Spr_3f_113.png

This sprite is awesome. Just as good as the Crystal sprite. The colour is perfect and the pose is good however it is not as the Gold sprite.
9.5/10
Emerald:
Spr_3e_113.gif

Just like the R/S sprite and the jumping doesn't really add anything.
5.5/10
Diamond/Pearl:
Spr_4d_113.png

I like this sprite, it says lets skip merrily through the meadow. It's a good colour to.
8/10
Platinum:
Spr_4p_113.png

The sprite is all right, I guess. I do like the colouring.
6/10.
HeartGold/SoulSilver:
Spr_4h_113.png

I like the pose of this sprite but the only problem is how bright the colours are. It would've been better is the outlines of its arms were black.
6/10
Black/White:
Spr_5b_113.png

Quick somebody get me a bucket because this sprite looks awful. I hate the pose and I hate how dark its foot is. It also looks more round than it should.
3/10

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Looking at all those made me realize how odd Chansey looks in general. I also find nothing wrong with the BW sprite. And about Chatot, I was very unhappy with what they did to it. I don't understand why they made it look evil for Pt/HGSS. Not a good idea.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2014
Looking at all those made me realize how odd Chansey looks in general. I also find nothing wrong with the BW sprite. And about Chatot, I was very unhappy with what they did to it. I don't understand why they made it look evil for Pt/HGSS. Not a good idea.

I know. I would lirerally play Pokemon Diamond all over again just so I could see the cute sprite over the evil one.

I'm just glad in black and White, they go back to the cute one. ^^

Halcyon

peace and serenity
Years
I prefer Chansey's R/S/E sprite over FRLG because the one in FRLG had her head too big and angular. D;

Chatot was based on Sugimori's art, I guess the spriters really have the urge change those Sinnoh sprites from D/P to Platinum. Although most of the sprites have vastly improved, some sprites were better in D/P, such as Wurmple, Golbat, Buneary and Lopunny.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
-cough- And Skuntank -cough-

DP:

Spr_4d_435.png

Pt:

Spr_4p_435.png

HGSS:

Spr_4h_435.png

BW:

Spr_5b_435.png

That PtHGSS pose. Why. Why. WHY. Why they do dis?! Glad they went back to the DP pose for BW's Skuntank sprite though.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Has anyone noticed that Ononokus' sprite has the exact same pose as Tyranitar's generation 3 sprite?
Spr_5b_612.png

Spr_3r_248.png

Guy

just a guy
Years
Okay, now it's Chansey's turn.

Red/Blue:
Spr_1b_113.png
Is it so bad to say that I'm actually fond of R/B's sprite of Chancey?

There's just something about it that turns my face into ":3" I don't even know. XD;

I never actually played Yellow all too much, and when I did, I played it from my friend's game. So, I can't say I got so far to where I found a Chancey. Still, this is definitely one of Chancey's best in my opinion. Don't be surprised if I say I consider it the best.

Diamond/Pearl:
Spr_4d_113.png
I find the coloring in this sprite of Chancey to be the best. The pose is also similar to Yellow's which I found to look the best given it was different from the preceded positions it had since. It's not exactly a "wow" factor, but it is nice.

Just my two cents on it anyway.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
It is one of the better drawn sprites of the first generation.

Conversely Chansey is also much harder to **** up than other designs but they still managed it with her feet.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It is one of the better drawn sprites of the first generation.

Conversely Chansey is also much harder to **** up than other designs but they still managed it with her feet.

Pretty much. And heck, you think that of all the things on Chansey, the feet would be the last things you screw up. I digress though.

Also...

DP:
Spr_4d_463.png

Pt/HGSS:
Spr_4p_463.png

BW:
Spr_5b_463.png

All of these make me feel terribly uncomfortable.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
This looks like funn. I want to try one of these.

R/B:
Spr_1b_073.png

It looks weird, but it probably mostly resembles the sprites from today. 8/10

Y:
Spr_1y_073.png

Okay, wtf is this? It's like it was dipped into blue dye and is trying to keep it's hat on. 3/10

G/S/C
Spr_2g_073.png
Spr_2s_073.png
Spr_2c_073.gif

Gold, I have no idea whats happening with your tentacles. It's swollen or something. Same with Silver. Crystal is probably the one I like the most. 4/10, 4/10, 7/10.

R/S/E/FR/LG:
Spr_3r_073.png
Spr_3e_073.gif
Spr_3f_073.png

All really similar. I'm currently liking the animation on the Emerald sprite. I have no idea what's up with the FR/LG sprite though. It seems as if it's chaffing. 8/10, 9/10.

D/P/Pt:
Spr_4d_073.png
Spr_4p_073.png

Eh, not too fond of these sprites. What annoys me the post about the Plat sprite is that it's only the second half of the D/P sprite. 5/10, 5/10.

HG/SS:
Spr_4h_073.png

I love this sprite. It shows simplicity and lots of tentacles. It's like you found one and it's only starting to become enraged. 9/10.

B/W:
Spr_5b_073.png

Pretty much the D/P sprite only reversed, which I think is a good thing. It was meant to be reversed. I have no idea what's up with it's tentacles though. 7/10

That's Tentacruel from me.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This looks like funn. I want to try one of these.

R/B:
Spr_1b_073.png

It's a gangster, obvs.

Y:
Spr_1y_073.png

Okay, wtf is this? It's like it was dipped into blue dye and is trying to keep it's hat on. 3/10

Awww, but he looks so cute. :<

G/S/C
Spr_2g_073.png
Spr_2s_073.png
Spr_2c_073.gif

Gold, I have no idea whats happening with your tentacles. It's swollen or something. Same with Silver. Crystal is probably the one I like the most. 4/10, 4/10, 7/10.

These aren't that funny. :<

R/S/E/FR/LG:
Spr_3r_073.png
Spr_3e_073.gif
Spr_3f_073.png

All really similar. I'm currently liking the animation on the Emerald sprite. I have no idea what's up with the FR/LG sprite though. It seems as if it's chaffing. 8/10, 9/10.

FRLG Tentacruel looks like my mom when she's angry, so when I catch one in those games, I end up naming it Mom.

D/P/Pt:
Spr_4d_073.png
Spr_4p_073.png

Eh, not too fond of these sprites. What annoys me the post about the Plat sprite is that it's only the second half of the D/P sprite. 5/10, 5/10.

They both look retarded, lol. :(

HG/SS:
Spr_4h_073.png

I love this sprite. It shows simplicity and lots of tentacles. It's like you found one and it's only starting to become enraged. 9/10.

OHHHHHHHHH<3

B/W:
Spr_5b_073.png

Pretty much the D/P sprite only reversed, which I think is a good thing. It was meant to be reversed. I have no idea what's up with it's tentacles though. 7/10

Coloring looks horrible on the tentacles.

Never quoting again, lol.

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
Years
Arcanine!

Imma do Arcanine aswell!

Red/Blue:

Spr_1b_059.png

I love this sprite! The pose is, IMO, really good for Arcanine. I don't have bad to say about it! 10/10!

Yellow:

Spr_1y_059.png

No! Just, no. What happened Arcanine? I hate the pose! 3/10.

Red(Jap)/Green:

Spr_1g_059.png

Skinny front legs and fat back legs? What on earth were Game Freak/Whoever thinking? 0/10.

Gold:

Spr_2g_059.png

Not bad! However, the pose sucks! The colours are nice though! 7/10.

Silver:

Spr_2s_059.png

Excellent! Just marvellous! I love this one! 10/10.

Crystal:

Spr_2c_059.gif

I'm glad they re-used his Silver sprite for his Crystal animation! 9/10.

R/S/E/LG/FR:

Spr_3r_059.png

Not the best sprite, but I like it! The colours are great! 7/10.

Spr_3e_059.gif

I love the animation! It make's it look like Arcanine is running, which would correspond to him being called the fastest Pokémon in one of his Pokédex entries! 8/10.

D/P/Pt:

Spr_4d_059.png

I dislike the pose, and the colours, so this one just didn't get it for me! 4/10.

HG/SS:

Spr_4h_059.png

What a massive improvment! The pose is awesome, the colours are great and the weight of his body/body parts is just right! 10/10.

B/W:

Spr_5b_059.png

Ok, this sucks! The pose doesn't work, the colours are ok, but the face looks weird! 6/10.

So, as you can see, Arcanine has had many sprites, some great, some terrible! However, he is still an epic Pokémon!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
We literally just discussed Arcanine a page or two ago. I have no comment at the risk of sounding redundant.

Red/Green
Spr_1g_146.png

It's looking at its wings wondering why it's diseased. However, this sprites is so creepy looking that I love it.

Red/Blue
Spr_1b_146.png

Personally, RG did Moltres better. This one doesn't even look like it has fire anywhere on its body.

Yellow
Spr_1y_146.png

It looks pissed, lmao. But at least the flames on its wings and head are clear.

Gold
Spr_2g_146.png

Basic pose, nothing special. Although we seems to have switched to wings fully engulfed in flames. Looks cool, imo.

Silver
Spr_2s_146.png

This is my favorite sprite for Moltres. I love the pose. Looks very majestic.

Crystal
Spr_2c_146.gif

Why did they use the Gold sprite? :(

Ruby/Sapphire
Spr_3r_146.png

The eye position makes it look bad...oh, and we're at partial flames agai-- WHAT IS THAT GIANT HUMP ON ITS BACK

Emerald
Spr_3e_146.gif

It shrinks, it pops back up. It shrinks, it pops back up. That's just great.

FireRed/LeafGreen
Spr_3f_146.png

At least it's looking at me, unlike the RS Moltres.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Spr_4d_146.png

Decent pose, I like it. It looks like it's descending down into the battle.

HeartGold/SoulSilver
Spr_4h_146.png

I like this one better than DPPt's, actually. Looks like it's a more epic entry into the battlefield.

Black/White
Spr_5b_146.png

Same as DPPt, with a few minor changes, like the feet. Not much to say.

Last edited:

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2014

This sprite is one of the creepiest sprites, no, it IS the creepiest sprite I have ever seen,

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
I always liked comparing Moltres' sprites because just look how much it changed from generation to generation... but then again, it looked ridiculous in Red/Blue, so of course that meant for a big change. But still.

Also, am I crazy for preferring the look of its fire in G/S/C over how it looks currently? I don't know why, it's very fluffy looking. XD

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
Really? It looks like it's on all fours to me.

Anyway, I find B/W's Salamence a huge improvement over the R/S/E and D/P/Pt Salamences:

373.png

B/W

Actually this reminds me a lot of mystery dungeon. At this point in time, this is my favorite non-native pokemon sprite from Black and White

B/W:

Spr_5b_059.png

Ok, this sucks! The pose doesn't work, the colours are ok, but the face looks weird! 6/10.

So, as you can see, Arcanine has had many sprites, some great, some terrible! However, he is still an epic Pokémon!

Wow, I totally wasn't expecting this pose for Arcanine, it looks so feminin.

I'm going to talk about Sceptile now.

R/S/E:
pkrs003.gif

D/P/P and HG/SS:
dpmfa254.png

B/W:
254.png

From R/S/E to B/W, this is the worst sprite update in history. The R/S/E Sceptile is my favourite. D/P/Pt/HG/SS doesn't appeal to me because I don't like the pose. B/W, what happened here?

Oh my gosh! D: what happened to my poor baby in Black and White? It makes me want to cry ;~; it looks anorexic!

264.png

Hey. For a moment I thought it was a different pokemon. This is one of the major sprite changes (and I gotta say it's pretty good, too).

It actually looks like a rodent. My heart cracked a little when I said that.

BW -
258.png
259.png
260.png

They were pretty perfect in HG/SS. I probably don't like the Swampert one because of the palette choice.

Again with the anorexia? But this time with Swampert.... (thinking about blaziken)

2vry5iv.png

not too bad from black and white, the colours are a little lighter than usual but its all good.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
The main thing is that the proportions on a lot of new Hoenn Pokémon sprites are much closer to Sugimori's original artwork than previous sprites of them. This is especially noticable in Sceptile's sprite.

You can make the argument that it's down to a lot of the sprites being traced off Suigimori's official art of the Pokémon, but it's not like art tracing hasn't been a key method in producing Pokémon sprites (and video game sprites in general) since the beginning. It appears to be another stylistic change they're going for in the 5th Gen sprite style.

Last edited:

Ayselipera

Spr_2c_113.gif

I love this sprite! However not as much as the Gold one for one reason only. The sprite is too dark. However I love how it blows you a kiss. It looks adorable.
9.5/10

I love Chansey with the dark pink body! It just seems a little too whitish then pink in its newer sprites. I guess it could be because they want it to look more egg like.

R/B:
Spr_1b_073.png

This sprite always reminds me of the King Jelly fish from Spongebob. I had to point that out. :D

G/S/C
Spr_2g_073.png
Spr_2s_073.png
Spr_2c_073.gif

I absolutely love the Gold sprite. It's been my favorite sprite for Tentacruel ever since I first saw it. It looks more to me like it's going to whip you with its tentacle then it being overly swollen. Sounds weird I know.

Red/Green
Spr_1g_146.png

It's looking at its wings wondering why it's diseased. However, this sprites is so creepy looking that I love it.

Silver
Spr_2s_146.png

This is my favorite sprite for Moltres. I love the pose. Looks very majestic.

The Red/Green and Silver sprites are my favorites for Moltres. I kind of wish they stuck with keeping the wings all flame like they did for Silver. I think it looks a little more impressive that way.

Back