• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you need a good PC for ROM hacking?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 8, 2019
How good of a PC or laptop do you need for ROM hacking? Will a standard use laptop be able to run hacks and all the programs needed to create a ROM hack?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It really depends on which game you'd like to hack. If you're aiming to hack a 3DS game like Pokémon X or Pokémon Y, you'll need a pretty decent powered PC to use Citra Emulator on it. But if you're looking at hacking a DS game like Pokémon Black Version or Pokémon White Version, then your current laptop you're using should be fine!~

Also, any GBA, GBC or GB games will work as well with your PC with no problems.

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
Years
How good of a PC or laptop do you need for ROM hacking? Will a standard use laptop be able to run hacks and all the programs needed to create a ROM hack?
You can make GBA or GBC hacks easily even on your granny's old computer. But hacking 3DS might require you a NASA supercomputer (i guess i went too far)
So, GBA and GBC games can be made with the laptop/computer you are using now. No worries! ( there arent many people out there hacking DS roms, but hacking them will surely be ok on your computer

bitelaserkhalif

Falcon Punch!!
Years
You can make GBA or GBC hacks easily even on your granny's old computer. But hacking 3DS might require you a NASA supercomputer (i guess i went too far)
So, GBA and GBC games can be made with the laptop/computer you are using now. No worries! ( there arent many people out there hacking DS roms, but hacking them will surely be ok on your computer

I was used to hack GBA Pokemon games, and can confirm this.
I used to made ROM hacks on BenQ Joybook U101 netbook. It ran Windows XP SP2, with 2GB (upgraded from 1GB) DDR2 RAM, and 160GB HDD. It uses Intel Atom N270 processor (that thing only has ONE core!)

It can emulate GBA games at kinda decent speed, but when it comes to DS and beyond, it's very laggy. So, yeah.

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
Years
I was used to hack GBA Pokemon games, and can confirm this.
I used to made ROM hacks on BenQ Joybook U101 netbook. It ran Windows XP SP2, with 2GB (upgraded from 1GB) DDR2 RAM, and 160GB HDD. It uses Intel Atom N270 processor (that thing only has ONE core!)

It can emulate GBA games at kinda decent speed, but when it comes to DS and beyond, it's very laggy. So, yeah.

yeah i used to play DS games on my tablet on an emulator called NDSBOY. (its not like i am being rude, but that emulator is the worst for playing DS games..i dont even think it can run gbc games..it ran at like 2fps...) so i changed my emulator and started playing on Free DS. it runs so smooth now. atleast better than NDSBOY.

Years
I have run into Gen 3 rom hacking programs that I can't run on my ancient HP mini laptop from like 06 or 07.
But if it's from this decade and not broken it should be able to handle pretty much all Gen 3 rom hacking tools.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 29, 2021
I've been doing a yellow hack in an 8gb ram i7, and a lot of stuff don't run unless I execute them in compatibility mode for *Windows XP*.

Back