• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] How to hex edit hardcoded base stats for Gen 3 Pokémon?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 26, 2020
I had an idea for a challenge where it's Pokémon Fire Red but every Pokémon had both Shedinja's signature ability, Wonder Guard. But every Pokémon also had Shedinja's single hit point caveat. I tried finding information on this forum on how to hex edit those stats as they're hardcoded for Shedinja to only have a single hit point even if it had its base HP increased and I'm certain it can be done, but I have no idea how to find the values for all the other Pokémon so I could change them to all have only 1 HP. If anyone can help me to find the values so I can make this a reality, I would be most grateful. Thanks for reading.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Stats and abilities are easy. There are a bunch of programs that can even do them.

Now, I could be wrong, but unfortunately I think Shedinja's HP isn't as simple as just having a base stat of 1.

There's an extra routine for him, I reckon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Tacobell is right, you need to locate this code and make it always set newMaxHP = 1 for all Pokémon. Finding that code is probably best done by compiling pokefirered, because then the pokefirered.map file will tell you the offset of that function in your ROM.

EDIT: CFRU would also be an option if it patches that function, because then you could change the C code directly.

Back