Male
United Kingdom & Ireland
Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted November 17th, 2019
7 posts
9.9 Years
I'm in the middle of drafting a beta for a hack that I plan to make, and I'm wondering what people think of changing type effectiveness. Do you think that this is something that is sacred and shouldn't be modified, or do you like it when a hack changes your expectations of type effectiveness?

For context: I'm fiddling with adding one new type and making some minor changes to type effectiveness to circle around this new type. There won't be any significant changes (i.e. changing a super-effective matchup to not very effective/immune or vice versa) and I thought that it would be fun to give some existing Pokémon a better chance to shine in the limelight if they had a couple of things tweaked, such as the elemental types being immune to themselves (Grass, Water, Electric, Ice, Poison and Fire) and elsewhere mainly defensive buffs to existing types.

What's everybody's thoughts on making changes like this in a Pokémon hack?

MazdoTechno

Male
Canada
Seen May 4th, 2020
Posted May 1st, 2020
45 posts
1.8 Years
I think it would be interesting, although you can never know how people would react to it on mass.
I’m also going to be adding a new type to my rom hack, although there’s only going to be one Pokémon who will use said type. And it may be uncatchable, haven’t decided on that yet.
I don’t plan on messing with type matchups personally, but my vote would be to do it.
It’s your hack after all.
Male
Seen February 15th, 2020
Posted February 15th, 2020
14 posts
239 Days
Depending on the version of the game it could do some major fixing. I'm doing a yellow rom, for exemple, winch the type effectiveness was psychic = immune to ghost, instead of weak. You could also 'fill blanks' like making some typings resistant to themselves, which wasnt made for all of them. Some types are super effective against another, but the otherway around is normaly effective. Because of that few cycles like the starter ones can be made, I guess they didn't had enough memory.