Challenge The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns Page 12

Started by The Undisputed Era May 28th, 2019 11:24 AM
  • 293 replies
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
23 posts
1 Years
It only took a second attempt at Juan to win. It was another battle of Double Team. I managed to actually do enough damage to knock out Kingdra this time, even despite the +6 Evasion. Then again, I also had +6 Evasion.

I spent some time preparing, though, by going all around Hoenn and trying to get as many Leppa Berries ready as possible. Then it was just a matter of outlasting Kingdra. Signal Beam and Confusion helped me edge out and win. All of the rest of Juan's Pokemon are relatively tame compared to that roadblock. It took about 30 minutes to get through Juan thanks to repeated misses on both sides. Was kinda boring. I thought about teaching Shock Wave so I had another electric attack to throw at him.

About an hour ago, I went ahead and started my way through Victory Road, only stopping to pick up Psychic. I'm going to give the Elite Four a try just to level-set my expectations.

Here's where I was going into Sidney. I figured I'd grab everything out of my boxes to get a full 6.
Heracross L45 / 136 HP / 163 Atk / 85 Def / 49 SAtk / 100 SDef / 105 Spd
Horn Attack / Strength / Earthquake / Brick Break

Beautifly L46 / 130 HP / 101 Atk / 74 Def / 104 SAtk / 57 SDef / 87 Spd
Aerial Ace / Silver Wind / Giga Drain / Psychic

Volbeat L46 / 138 HP / 75 Atk / 60 Def / 63 SAtk / 93 SDef / 111 Spd
Thunderbolt / Signal Beam / Double Team / Moonlight

Armaldo L 47 / 151 HP / 143 Atk / 123 Def / 80 SAtk / 81 SDef / 58 Spd
Ancient Power / Rock Tomb / Metal Claw / Fury Cutter

Ninjask L42 / 112 HP / 91 Atk / 66 Def / 66 SAtk / 54 SDef / 143 Spd
Dig / Double Team / Swords Dance / Slash

Shedinja L39 / 1 HP / 83 Atk / 61 Def / 42 SAtk / 35 SDef / 46 Spd
Cut / Double Team / Shadow Ball / Fury Cutter

Here we go.

Sidney is up first and out comes Mightyena and Heracross. Brick Break nearly one-shots. Like 99.9% HP gone. Second Brick Break does the same thing, but I'm able to follow up with a Horn Attack and knock it out. That also levels Harry to 46 (+2,+4,+1,+1,+2,+3). Shiftry is up next, I used Strength to offset Shiftry's HP enough that Brick Break should knock it out on turn 2. Interestingly, all Shiftry can do is hit me with Torment. This oughta be fun. Absol is out, so I throw another Strength, but he takes the rest of my health. Wasn't really paying attention as to what he hit me with. I pull out Volbeat and hit Signal Beam. I get a Rock Slide for my trouble. I'm down to 16 HP, but I get to hit another Signal Beam and knock it out. Cacturne is next, and I repeat Signal Beam, 1HKO. Finally, Crawdaunt. I continue to throw Signal Beam. Takes it down to about 15% HP, but I get knocked out in return. I decide to go ahead and use Beautifly, accidentally hitting Psychic and then on-purpose hitting myself on the forehead for the goof. I use Silver Wind and he drops to 45% health, but uses Swords Dance...because he can? Another Silver Wind and that's one down.

Okay...Phoebe's gonna be a challenge, I think. I'm going in with Beautifly first to do as much damage as I can with Aerial Ace. First, I got Protect blocked...the second Aerial Ace hits...but it only does about 20% damage. I get Confused, but the next one goes through and Dusclops is down to 50%. I get Shadow Punched in return. Another turn confused but I still hit Aerial Ace, and a crit Shadow Punch hits me back, knocking me out. I bring out Armaldo and use Ancient Power, knocking out Dusclops. Next Dusclops out, and I start spamming Ancient Power. Then I switch to Rock Tomb. But I get knocked out before I can finish knocking out that second Dusclops. Unfortunately, I was in Full Restore territory. I start a Double Team build on Volbeat, but am forced to eat a Rock Slide. Takes me a few turns, but I manage to get all +6 Evasion going. I start using Thunderbolt in the hopes of paralysis. I don't get lucky, but I do manage to take it down. Banette comes out, and despite not being weak to it at all, I start spamming Signal Beam. It triggers confusion and 2/3 turns Banette hits itself. I use my last Signal Beam and knock it out. I heal up, both via Hyper Potion and a Leppa Berry...and then start the Signal Beam onslaught against Sableye. Two Signal Beams later, a nice crit happens and I take out Sableye. It's just outlasting the final Banette now. First shot of Thunderbolt paralyzes. Second shot crits and puts it to a sliver of health. Final thunderbolt and I'm through.

I always feel like Double Team/Moonlight and Signal Beam are cheap, but it works. Finishing this battle pushes my Volbeat up to 48.

Next up is Glacia. I'm worried about when she'll pull out the Walrein, so I start with Heracross instead of Armaldo. Brick Break crits and knocks out Sealeo. Glalie comes out and I hit Brick Break again. Another 1HKO. Sealeo again, but this one hangs on. I go for another Break Break and it takes another one past that to knock it out. Brick Break knocks out the final Glalie. It's down to just me and Walrein now. The moves Walrein know (Surf, Body Slam, Ice Beam, and Sheer Cold) are not super-effective against Shedinja, so I might bring that off for a laugh. Brick Break on Walrein takes it down to about 25% health. I get knocked out. Yay. Just for giggles, I bring out Shedinja. I do indeed avoid the damage from Sheer Cold with Wonder Guard. Now it's just hilarity as I spam Fury Cutter. Final hit crits and I win.

That was funny. Heracross to 47. Shedinja to 40.

RL Time to put kid to sleep, but then I'll be back for the final rounds.
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
23 posts
1 Years
I had to grind quite a bit. Everyone, except Shedinja and Ninjask, were around 50 when I did my last attempt. Teaching Earthquake to Heracross (it has higher attack then my Armaldo) helped a lot to get through Phoebe on this run, and Drake kept giving me trouble. Bugs versus Dragon is just not helping. I had to cheese it horribly by doing a bad: I had enough AncientPower uses activate the side effect that my Armaldo could survive Kingdra's Surf. So...I just spammed Hyper Potions until he ran out of Surf and then I kept using Metal Claw to up my attack more...then it was just spamming Ancient Power and Rock Tomb to get through Drake.

Wallace was actually easier than Drake. Mainly because the first Pokemon went down to my Heracross...and leveled to 53 and learned Megahorn. Hey, look...new move to spam. Somehow, I managed to have my Heracross wipe out his Wailord, then Whiscash, then Tentacruel, and barely Ludicolo (Double Team tactic sucks on the receiving end). I did about 1/2 damage to Gyarados, so then it was just a matter of Thunderbolt from Volbeat to knock it out...and then whatever powerful moves I could to manage to live. Milotic sort of sucks - I ended up realizing my remaining members didn't have the firepower to win. So, I used them to allow me a use of Max Revive to bring back Heracross and one final use of Megahorn...and I beat Wallace. It did take a few tries, though.

I do have to train quite a bit before I can fight Steven. I'm not going to even attempt it until everyone is 70. That should be a riot. The end is in sight, though! Only one more battle and it'll be time to move on.
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
23 posts
1 Years
Sorry for the triple post - I very much went overboard. I was able to train most of my Pokemon on the Solrock and Golbat in the area surrounding Steven fairly easily. Within the first hour, I had my Volbeat to 65, and figured I would try it at 65 for everyone. Slowly, I got everyone up to 65ish. Then, I tried Steven. And then I tried him again. And I learned a little and tried again.

The worst thing about Steven? You can't just keep hitting his Pokemon and hope they go down. You have to be able to do enough damage to manage to skip the red health area (or, for that matter, just above it - there's some part of yellow that will still trigger it). Otherwise, full health for that Pokemon.

After the first 4 or 5 attempts, I realized I wasn't going to be able to push through without some tactics, so I started trying everyone Pokemon order I could. After about 60 attempts of continually resetting in my rather stupid quest to pull this off at L65...this is what happened on the final time.

I realized I would need Volbeat to be able to take down both Skarmory and Claydol, or at least nearly take down Claydol. Skarmory is a 3HKO at 65 with Thunderbolt. It likes to use Spikes and Toxic, so I throw a berry on to at least make a turn of Toxic a waste of time. So, in my final run, I use Thunderbolt, get paralysis to land (something that only happened 3 times the whole series of attempts, so I wasn't counting on it at all), Spikes from Skarmory. Next turn, I throw Double Team up, and he uses Toxic. It hits, berry clears it. I use Double Team again (in preparation for Claydol). I use Thunderbolt again, and thankfully the 3HKO is a sure thing for Skarmory. I'm not in danger of actually triggering a Full Restore here. Skarmory goes for another Toxic and misses. Final Thunderbolt and Skarmory is down. Out comes Claydol. Time to spam Signal Beam. It never triggers confusion, but I do get down to just under 1/2 health on Claydol before Volbeat goes down.

Now, something interesting happens here. I swap in Ninjask...and the entire time Ninjask is out, I manage to get +6 Evasion from Double Team, +6 Attack from Swords Dance, and +6 Speed from my ability. How? Claydol never once attempts AncientPower. I don't understand why. But anyways, after all of that, two Slashes go off (no critical), and out comes Cradily. I basically spam Dig and manage to knock it out without taking any further damage.

At this point, Armaldo comes out, and while I hit it once with Dig, it manages to get an AncientPower through and knock me out. I bring my own Armaldo out and we got into this war of AncientPower. I manage to get a couple uses of AncientPower off (with both triggering the boosts), and I'm on a relatively small sliver of health when Metagross comes out. I know I'm basically going to lose, right? Well...Meteor Mash decided to miss twice in a row here - the first time I was healing up, and the second time was Rock Blast). I tried spamming Rock Blast to get as close as I could, but ended up getting my Armaldo knocked out. So, here comes Heracross to hopefully win.

I hit Earthquake and down goes Metagross. In the end, I was about to spam Earthquake to take out Aggron. So...I won. It was a set of tactics that wasn't completely luck based, but at this level, they were. I think it would have worked better to truly be 70 or 75. I may come back later and do more leveling and see what it would have looked like at 70 or even 75. But suffice it to say, I beat Steven...but only barely.

This completes Gen 3 for me.

Things I've learned after the first three Gens:
- Gen 1 was blind for me.
- Gen 2 wasn't blind - I went in with a plan for each Pokemon, but ended up changing it up slightly to breed for a move.
- Gen 3 was basically done the same way as Gen 2, but at the end I picked up a Heracross late and EV train and it did a lot for me.

Things I'll be putting into play in Gen 4:
- EV planning and training.
- Determining breeding for moves, if needed.
- Ensuring I know the route for the game (I got lost at the end of Emerald with all the back and forth)

The team that I ended up beating Steven with:
Volbeat L66 / 194 HP / 106 Atk / 84 Def / 89 SAtk / 130 SDef / 157 Spd / Thunderbolt - Signal Beam - Double Team - Moonlight
Armaldo L64 / 202 HP / 193 Atk / 166 Def / 108 SAtk / 110 SDef / 77 Spd / AncientPower - Rock Blast - Iron Tail - Fury Cutter
Heracross L65 / 192 HP / 220 Atk / 120 Def / 69 SAtk / 143 SDef / 150 Spd / Megahorn - Strength - Earthquake - Brick Break
Beautifly L64 / 178 HP / 138 Atk / 101 Def / 143 SAtk / 78 SDef / 120 Spd / Aerial Ace - Silver Wind - Giga Drain - Psychic
Ninjask L65 / 169 HP / 138 Atk / 105 Def / 100 SAtk / 81 SDef / 221 Spd / DIg - Double Team - Swords Dance - Slash

Looking at those numbers, I'm definitely going to grind to 75 and see if I just lucked out or if my tactics were sound and I was just too low level for it to be consistent.

Gen 3 done. Gen 4 starting soon!
Male
South Korea
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
21 posts
48 Days
Status update:
6th badge earned.

Lv 48 Empoleon (Hasty), torrent
HP 144
Atk 99
Def 100
Sp.Atk 127
Sp.Def 109
Spd 82

Lv 39 Bronzong (Calm), Levitate
HP 109
Atk 71
Def 109
Sp.Atk 74
Sp.Def 111
Spd 40

Lv 41 Magnezone (Modest), Sturdy
HP 118
Atk 65
Def 110
Sp.Atk 129
Sp.Def 83
Spd 66

Lv 37 Steelix (Serious), Rock head
HP 103
Atk 72
Def 163
Sp.Atk 48
Sp.Def 53
Spd 29

HM slaves Bidoof and Pelipper.

Used TM Earthquake for steelix and Grass Knot for Empoleon. Steel gym was an easy sweep with Earthquake and Brine. Replaced Probopass with Steelix for higher defense and a ground type that could use Earthquake. Ice gym upcoming but expect it to be a sweep with all my steel types.
Pokemon Platinum Steel type challenge

About half a week stop on pokemon stuff I came back to the challenge. My main goal was to learn moves for better coverage, so I tried to find every usable TM I could get after the 6th gym. The 7th Ice gym was a piece of cake due to my typing. The real threat during this part of the challenge was the final Cyrus fight. Empoleon took care of Houndoom but was burned and at low hp. I overlooked Gyarados' speed and its Earthquake, letting my Magnezone be OHKO'd. I tried to stall with Bronzong and healed Empoleon meanwhile. Grass knot was really helpful with taking gyarados down. Rest of Cyrus' team was dealth with Steelix, my physical tank. Here's the stats and movesets for my team; Bibarel was newly caught for HM slave, so Bibarel and Pelipper for HM slaves.

Lv 52 Empoleon (Hasty), torrent
HP 156
Atk 108
Def 109
Sp.Atk 139
Sp.Def 117
Spd 91

Drill Peck, Flash Cannon, Brine, Grass Knot

Lv 44 Bronzong (Calm), Levitate
HP 122
Atk 81
Def 123
Sp.Atk 84
Sp.Def 125
Spd 47

Extrasensory, Iron Defense, Confuse Ray, Shadow Ball

Lv 46 Magnezone (Modest), Sturdy
HP 131
Atk 74
Def 124
Sp.Atk 145
Sp.Def 92
Spd 77

Screech, Thunder wave, Thunderbolt, Mirror Shot

Lv 47 Steelix (Serious), Rock head
HP 128
Atk 92
Def 207
Sp.Atk 61
Sp.Def 66
Spd 41

Crunch, Earthquake, Rock slide, Iron tail

P.S. I checked the typing of Hidden Power for Bronzong, and it had Ice! Screw you Garchomp!
Male
South Korea
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
21 posts
48 Days
Pokemon Platinum Steel type run

Lv 52 Empoleon (Hasty), torrent
HP 156
Atk 108
Def 109
Sp.Atk 139
Sp.Def 117
Spd 91

Drill Peck, Flash Cannon, Brine, Grass Knot

Lv 45 Bronzong (Calm), Levitate
HP 125
Atk 82
Def 126
Sp.Atk 86
Sp.Def 128
Spd 49

Extrasensory, Iron Defense, Confuse Ray, Shadow Ball

Lv 46 Magnezone (Modest), Sturdy
HP 131
Atk 74
Def 124
Sp.Atk 145
Sp.Def 92
Spd 77

Screech, Thunder wave, Thunderbolt, Mirror Shot

Lv 50 Steelix (Serious), Rock head
HP 136
Atk 99
Def 220
Sp.Atk 66
Sp.Def 70
Spd 46

Fire fang, Earthquake, Rock slide, Iron tail

The electric gym was a smooth sweep with Steelix... I need to find more type coverage, I'm still considering whether hidden power ice should be on Bronzong. If I have sth else to replace iron defense, I'll be sticking to Ice Beam for Empoleon. Next update will be the HOF.
Male
South Korea
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
21 posts
48 Days
Pokemon Platinum Steel type run

Lv 58 Empoleon, torrent
HP 174
Atk 123
Def 124
Sp.Atk 156
Sp.Def 130
Spd 103
Ice Beam, Flash Cannon, Surf, Grass Knot
Lv 53 Bronzong, Levitate
HP 147
Atk 101
Def 149
Sp.Atk 101
Sp.Def 151
Spd 58
Extrasensory, Hidden Power(Ice), Confuse ray, Shadow Ball
Lv 56 Magnezone, Sturdy
HP 159
Atk 93
Def 152
Sp.Atk 179
Sp.Def 114
Spd 96
Magnet Rise, Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Mirror Shot
Lv 54 Steelix, Rock head
HP 146
Atk 108
Def 238
Sp.Atk 71
Sp.Def 76
Spd 49
Fire Fang, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Iron Tail

I felt like I needed more grinding, but wanted to give a shot at it anyway so I proceeded to the E4. The first two were not even a challenge, but tge fire type trainer was a difficulty. My steelix could not handle a single flamethrower at all, and Empoleon was OHKO'd by a critical Flare Blitz fro Infernape. Luckily my Bronzong had high enough Sp.Def to take a hit so I relied on Confuse Ray-Pray combo with revives. Eventually I made it through.
The psychic Trainer was also an easy win, so comes the Cynthia battle. I started with Magnezone to try to overpower it with Thunderbolt and suceeded with about half health. Garchomp immediately came out, so I took out Bronzong. Turns out that Garchomp knew flamethrower. Bronzong could only take two flamethrowers, therefore again I resorted to Confuse Ray-Pray-Revive strategy. Hidden power Ice did about a third of damage, so it took time but Garchomp was defeated. The real problem was from Lucario and Togekiss. The only pokemon that could stand aura spheres was Bronzong... Which lacked firepower. So for those two I just spammed Hyper Potion and Extrasensory. I madd sure I revived Magnezone for Milotic. Milotic was a OHKO with Thunderbolt, and Bronzong fainted against Roserade with a sliver of HP left on it. Magnezone finished it off and thus marks the end for my Platinum Steel type run.

When I first started the run, I thought that I would be lacking special defense and speed powerhouses, but as the run went on, I had more problems with considerable physical attack powerhouse and type coverage: I never could use a fighting-type move. I don't know what type and version challenge I will do next... If anyone has recommendations, please inform me hehe

P.S. I'm writing this on moblie and I cant see my HOF shot with the phone. Is this viewable in PC and if not, how can I insert the photo with the thread? I'd appreciate solutions.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions

Male
Washington, USA
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
4,190 posts
9.7 Years
Time to finish my first monotype on Kalos!

Update on Ultimate Poison Monotype Challenge:

Update #4 (Final) on Y.
  • Continued my journey to Route 18 and made my way to Couriway Town, where I beat Professor Sycamore.
  • Continued on through Route 19 to Snowbelle City, then explored the Pokemon Village to find Wulfric.
  • Challenged the gym, and he wasn't too difficult to defeat for my final badge.
  • Went to Victory Road, where I defeated Calem for the final time, then arrived at the Pokemon League.
  • Finalized movesets and held items, then took on the Elite Four.
  • Malva was first. Phibia tokk down Pyroar, Seaweed defeated Talonflame, then Rex finished strong against Torkoal and Chandelure.
  • Siebold was up next, and after Thorn crushed Clawizter and Starmie, Draken was the one to break through Gyarados and Barbaracle.
  • Drasna was almost soloed by Seaweed, with Thorn finishing off Druddigon.
  • Wikstrom was handled easily by Rex, who took down 3 by himself, then Countess finished against Aegislash.
  • Finally, it was time to face Champion Diantha. Here's the video and play-by-play of the battle:

Video:
    Spoiler:

Screens:
Spoiler:

Pokemon League:

Hall of Fame:
Spoiler:

Team Toxi:

Countess the Serious Crobat, ♀ - L66 @ Sky Plate
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Cross Poison, Fly, U-turn, Confuse Ray
Final Stats: 209/167/120/107/129/199

Draken the Adamant Drapion, ♂ - L66 @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
Moves: Cross Poison, Night Slash, Earthquake, Rock Slide
Final Stats: 195/176/173/89/122/156

Phibia the Lonely Toxicroak, ♀ - L66 @ Black Belt
Ability: Dry Skin
Moves: Poison Jab, Brick Break, Stone Edge, Sucker Punch
Final Stats: 216/203/94/127/117/133
Diantha MVP

Rex the Naive Nidoking, ♂ - L67 @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sheer Force
Moves: Sludge Bomb, Earth Power, Fire Blast, Ice Beam
Final Stats: 221/165/131/156/113/155
Kalos co-MVP, Elite Four co-MVP

Seaweed the Bold Dragalge, ♀ - L67 @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Poison Point
Moves: Sludge Bomb, Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, Hydro Pump
Final Stats: 183/118/167/171/187/90
Elite Four co-MVP

Thorn the Modest Roserade, ♂ - L66 @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Natural Cure
Moves: Giga Drain, Petal Dance, Sludge Bomb, Dazzling Gleam
Final Stats: 192/114/117/209/170/154
Kalos co-MVP

Boxed:

Buzz the Hardy Beedrill, ♀ - L20
Ability: Swarm
Moves: Poison Sting, Thief, Twineedle, False Swipe

My next monotype challenge will actually be a brand new one! Fairy types for the first time.

Forum User Name: jdthebud
Game(s): Omega Ruby, X, Ultra Sun
Pokémon Type: Fairy
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

Dawn

Sapphire Star

Age 30
Non-binary
Any dream will do
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 7 Hours Ago
11,895 posts
5.7 Years
Ultimate Monotype Challenge - Fire Red
Part #3 - Terrorising cruise ships, ambushing people in dark tunnels, and illegal gambling

Yes, believe it or not, I am still doing this! Well, I put it down for a loooong time because other things got in the way, but I have recently picked it up again and am now continuing to make progress! Albeit verrrry slowly. Painfully slowly, in fact. Grinding in old Pokemon games is such a pain in the backside. I had planned to have a Gyarados on my team at some point, but I also plan on having a Dragonite, and I only need one Pokemon that is going to take me an eternity to grind out. So I dropped the Magikarp. Dropping Butterfree as well means I have one more space to fill out, unless I plan on having a team of 5...I may do just that. Or I may fill my final slot with Zapdos, because then I can make bad Thunderbird jokes.

Had a relatively easy time battling my way through the S.S. Anne, and the hardest thing about Surge's Gym was turning off the second switch to get to him...I've always hated that puzzle, there's no guarantee you'll pick the right switch and it's annoying as hell. Surge himself was a pushove though, thanks to my teaching my Charmeleon Dig before the battle...he didn't even paralyze me. Huh. Rock Tunnel almost destroyed me, though. A Geodude owned by a Hiker scored a Magnitude 9 against my Charmeleon and wiped it out...then scored a critical Rock Throw against my Pidgeotto and wiped it out. Then my Golbat beat it...and he sent out a Graveler. Sigh. I got lucky at that point with crits and because he decided to use Harden, but I was sweating bullets trying to find my way out...god, I hate the darkness mechanics in Gen III. I miss the black outline walls from Gens I and II.

But I made my way out, healed up, then immediately dashed over to Celadon - using my HM Slave Paras to bypass the trainers along the route for later - and picked up my Dratini in the Game Corner...which is Level 18. Bloody hell. I taught it Shock Wave and I may teach it Water Pulse as a stopgap until I get Surf. Not really interested in optimising or whatever as I'll be of a comfortable level by the time I reach the E4/know what I'm doing with type matchups etc, so yeah. Now almost all of my hard-saved money is gone and I need to save for the Ultra Balls I will need to lob at Zapdos, and the Full Restores etc. I'll need for the Elite Four. I'm a hoarder when it comes to stuff like this, ahaha.

Next thing on my to-do list is Erika's Gym, which I will probably sweep with Charmeleon, but will probably try and distribute between all four of my Pokemon so they'll gain more levels. I'd quite like my Dratini to be at least level 25 or so before I do this though, so it's back to the grass to grind...sigh.

Stats:

Trainer Name: Dawn
Playtime: 6:37

Current Team
Charmeleon Aznable - Level 33
Golbat'em up - Level 28
Pidge "Are you ever going to use me again?" Otto - Level 27
The Dratini affectionately known as "I'm going to make your life a living hell by stalling your progress because I'm too weak to kill things a few levels below me" - Level 22

Badges: 3/8

Game(s): Fire Red, HeartGold, Emerald/Alpha Sapphire (depends on my mood), Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Moon, Shield
Pokémon Type: Flying
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions

Male
Washington, USA
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
4,190 posts
9.7 Years
Start of Ultimate Fairy Monotype Challenge:

Update #1 on Omega Ruby.

Name: Titania
Starter: Mudkip
  • Started with Mudkip, then got to Route 102, where I caught Glinda the Ralts, which took a while to get a good nature.
  • Started training her up on trainers, then helped Wally catch his own Ralts.
  • Reached Rustboro City, then defeated all the trainers around it.
  • It took a couple tries and a bit of grinding, since Glinda only knew Confusion & Disarming Voice but she finally defeated Nosepass with 1 HP remaining to get the badge!
  • Moved on to Dewford City. Unfortunately I couldn't explore Granite Cave without the bike, so Glinda got me the Knuckle Badge by herself.
  • After the battle, Glinda evolved into Kirlia!
  • I was now able to go to Slateport City and try to get to Mauville, but Brendan stood in my way.
  • It took a couple tries and a bit more training before Glinda could get past him.
  • Arrived at Mauville City, grabbed the Mach Bike, then did sneaking around to catch a hidden Marill on Route 117 who knows Body Slam.
  • Backtracked to Dewford City and Granite Cave, where I nabbed a Mawile.
  • After a bit of breeding on both Pokemon to get a better Nature & Ability, out hatched Zuzu the Marill and Chomper the Mawile!
  • Trained them up on trainers around Slateport and Mauville I had skipped earlier, and Zuzu evolved into Azumarill.
  • Defeated Wally at the Mauville Gym, then took on the gym myself.
  • Wattson didn't stand a chance against Zuzu's Bulldoze.
Screens:
Spoiler:

Team Titania:

Chomper the Adamant Mawile, ♂ - L23 @ Luck Incense
Ability: Intimidate
Moves: Fairy Wind, Vice Grip, Rock Tomb, Bite

Zuzu the Adamant Azumarill, ♂ - L24 @ Expert Belt
Ability: Huge Power
Moves: Bulldoze, Rollout, Body Slam, Aqua Tail

Glinda the Modest Kirlia, ♀ - L26 @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Trace
Moves: Confusion, Calm Mind, Draining Kiss, Magical Leaf

HM Slave:

Zigzagoon - Cut, Rock Smash

xVaporeon

used bubblebeam!

Female
UK
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
222 posts
7.4 Years
Forum User Name: xVaporeon
Game(s): Fire Red
Pokémon Type:
Single/Ultimate: Single (for now)

Haven't done one of these challenges for years. Excited to get back into it!

profilefriend code: SW-0955-3983-9097
Male
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
13 posts
3 Years
Hello everybody, I have not done a challenge in years and the Monotype ones are my favorites, so I am planning on doing an Ultimate Monotype Challenge.

However I feel confused about my favorite type, since a child I wanted to be a Gym Leader but can't decide in which one specialize ( I am really between Water, Flyign, Ground and Steel). So, to find my favorite type I've used the "Favorite Pokémon Picker" from DragonflyCave and made a list of the Pokémon I like the most a few times over these years and grouped the results in an entire one.

I hope not to bother anyone, but I would like to have some opinion about which type would you think I should specialize in and I will start to do an Ultimate Monotype challenge in all generations. Here it's the link to the list. Thank you very much.

https://www.dragonflycave.com/favorite-list?favs=CfAREDAZM2CUAFGEAIHNAhEAACKLFJCCF0DEG_IRCGDPLtDTGmCQC3CBCFF3ALAsD3GW

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional

Male
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
1,830 posts
12.9 Years
Hello everybody, I have not done a challenge in years and the Monotype ones are my favorites, so I am planning on doing an Ultimate Monotype Challenge.

However I feel confused about my favorite type, since a child I wanted to be a Gym Leader but can't decide in which one specialize ( I am really between Water, Flyign, Ground and Steel). So, to find my favorite type I've used the "Favorite Pokémon Picker" from DragonflyCave and made a list of the Pokémon I like the most a few times over these years and grouped the results in an entire one.

I hope not to bother anyone, but I would like to have some opinion about which type would you think I should specialize in and I will start to do an Ultimate Monotype challenge in all generations. Here it's the link to the list. Thank you very much.

https://www.dragonflycave.com/favorite-list?favs=CfAREDAZM2CUAFGEAIHNAhEAACKLFJCCF0DEG_IRCGDPLtDTGmCQC3CBCFF3ALAsD3GW
Looks like you have a fair few water and ground types. Try Water if you want an easier time getting pokemon, or try Ground is you want a bit more of a challenge.
3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-3902
IGN: Peter; (X, Y, OR, AS, S, M, US, UM)
Friend Safari: (Fighting) Throh, Meditite, Breloom
Living Pokedex Complete: Y, C, R, LG, E, D, Pl, HG, B, B2, X, Y, OR, AS, M, UM, LGP, Sw
Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1, ~RNC~ and ThePoke Man

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
23 posts
1 Years
Welcome to Gen 4 Bug - where if you want something on your team, be prepared to hit up honey tree after honey tree to get it...after hours of waiting.

This one starts off relatively easy. Grab a starter - ignore it and get to Route 202 and pick up Kricketot. I'm playing Diamond, and I don't think they show up in Route 201 except for Platinum. Oh wells, no big. I spent quite some time fighting to grind it up, knowing it's going to be my only Bug type through the first gym...which is Rock type. Yay.

Bide sucks - took me almost two hours to survive to evolve. So happy that it learns Fury Cutter at level 10. I was about level 14 when I finally went up against Roark in the Oreburgh Gym.

Spamming Fury Cutter is sadly the safest way to make it through the entire gym. Do I have to heal after every battle? Sure - just to be safe, but spamming it gets me through. Don't really have other options yet.

Heading up towards Floaroma Town...and the fun begins. At the Honey Trees, I can get Wurmple to get both Beautifly and Dustox, a Burmy, and a Combee. After two weeks of going every day, I was finally able to get all four. The Burmy was what I planned to turn into a Bug/Steel. Yeah, Fire weakness and all, but it felt like a better option for survivability. That was a nightmare - I don't like that being the only option of getting Bug types at this point. But, in the end, I got them all.

Unfortunately, some of them were so high in level that they skipped moves. Here's a rundown of where we're at after the second gym battle (more on that in a sec).

- Burmy thankfully knew Protect and Tackle. It also evolved to the wonderful Steel Wormadam, picking up Hidden Power.
- Dustox had a normal run, knowing Tackle, String Shot, Poison Sting, and Protect.
- Beautifly was the challenge, because it was level 15 when I caught it as a Silcoon. That means it not only missed Absorb but also Gust. I had a Hidden Power TM, so I use it on it. The next standard move it would learn, Mega Drain, doesn't come around until 24.
- Kricketune has Fury Cutter, Bide, Sing, and Leech Life. Pretty standard.
- Female Combee (or rather, Vespiquen), knows Gust, Sweet Scent, and Power Gem.

A Bug type team against a Grass gym was fairly easy. I am, however, making a habit of switch training some of my underlevel Pokemon, and healing up after every battle.

Gardenia wasn't too much of a challenge. Vespiquen had just evolved following the last standard trainer, so I ran through the rest of my team (Dustox, Beautifly, and Wormadam) before pulling out Vespiquen to mop up that Roserade.

I unfortunately needed a break after constantly checking the trees and then leveling in the forest (thank gosh for the heal after every battle, right?). I took a couple weeks away from the game as other things cropped up, so this is coming a bit later than it should have. Then again, my current timer in the game is sitting at just over 13 hours. But, moving on in the next day or so. Here's my full team - hope you like my naming convention:

Cricket (Kricketune)
L 22 / 73 HP / 47 Atk / 30 Def / 32 SAtk / 33 SDef / 38 Spd
Fury Cutter / Bide / Sing / Leech Life

T-Mobile (Vespiquen)
L 22 / 67 HP / 46 Atk / 49 Def / 42 SAtk / 55 SDef / 33 Spd
Gust / Sweet Scent / Power Gem

Sprint (Beautifly)
L 18 / 54 HP / 35 Atk / 30 Def / 36 SAtk / 26 SDef / 31 Spd
Harden / Hidden Power / Stun Spore

Cellular (Dustox)
L 18 / 50 HP / 23 Atk / 35 Def / 25 SAtk / 37 SDef / 33 Spd
Tackle / String Shot / Poison Sting / Protect

Verizon (Wormadam/Steel)
L 20 / HP 60 / 33 Atk / 46 Def / 30 SAtk / 45 SDef / 24 Spd
Protect / Tackle / Hidden Power

xVaporeon

used bubblebeam!

Female
UK
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
222 posts
7.4 Years
Monotype Challenge - Fire Red

Type:

• sooooo obviously chosen Squirtle as my starter. he was male, so I've nicknamed him Hydro.
  • battled Gary for the first time in Oak's Lab, and then for the second time on route 22 and I LOST. so I decided to go level up Hydro a little bit more before battling Gary there again.
  • headed to Viridian Forest but went back to Viridan City to pick up some more potions and antidotes after battling the first trainer. also picked up some Pokeballs. headed back to Viridan Forest and battled the rest of the trainers there.
  • arrived at Pewter City and beat Brock no problem thanks to Hydro's Water Gun!
  • decided to head back to Route 22 to battle Gary again, and Hydro evolved into Wartortle before going back.
  • received the Running Shoes and headed to Route 3!
  • Battled through the trainers on Route 3 and went to Route 4. bought the Magikarp from the man in the Pokemon Center for 500 Pokédollars. she was female, I've called her Lily.
  • battled the trainers through Mt. Moon and received the Helix Fossil.
  • arrived at Cerulean City and battled Gary. went back and defeated Misty. onwards to Route 24!

Team

Hydro, male Wartortle, level 24
Tackle, Bite, Water Gun, Withdraw

Lily, female Magikarp, level 15
Splash, Tackle

Badges earned

Boulder Badge, Cascade Badge

viper8890

Male
India
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 13 Hours Ago
416 posts
5.6 Years
ULTIMATE POISON MONOTYPE CHALLENGE

FIRERED

Started off with bulbasaur, caught a Weedle and evolved it to Beedrill. Evolved bulbasaur to ivysaur. Defeated Brock.
Caught zubat, ekans and nidoran(M). Evolved nidoran(M) to nidorino. Defeated Misty.
Currently in Vermilion City.

Team
Spoiler:

Ivysaur | M |Overgrow | lvl 22
Tackle
Poisonpowder
Leech seed
Razor leaf

Beedrill | M |Swarm | lvl 19
Poison sting
Focus energy
Harden
Fury attack

Ekans | F |Intimidate | lvl 20
Wrap
Glare
Poison sting
Bite

Nidorino | M |Poison point | lvl 21
Poison sting
Peck
Dig
Double kick

Zubat | M |Inner focus| lvl 20
Leech life
Astonish
Supersonic
Bite

xVaporeon

used bubblebeam!

Female
UK
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
222 posts
7.4 Years
Monotype Challenge - Fire Red

Type:

• battled through Route 24 and Route 25, arrived at Bill's House. received the S.S. Anne ticket.
  • went through to Route 5 and continued onwards down the Underground Path and battled the trainers on Route 6 before arriving at Vermilion City.
  • received the Bike Voucher from the Pokemon Fan Club owner.
  • also received the Old Rod from the Fisherman.
  • went through to Route 11 to level up a little more. Battled the trainers.
  • Lily evolved into Gyarados!
  • boarded the S.S. Anne and battled some trainers.

Team

Hydro, male Wartortle, level 28
Tackle, Bite, Water Gun, Withdraw

Lily, female Gyarados, level 23
Splash, Tackle

Badges earned

Boulder Badge, Cascade Badge