• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports General Sports Chat. All Sports Welcome

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Can we talk about the state of the NBA right now? It's such a garbage run sport. You have a max of four teams who may win and then there's everyone else. Not saying that that's not what you get with other sports, but the fact that one single player changes the state of the game for a team is unlike any other sport.

It's going to be extremely boring if it's Cavs-Warriors in the finals again ngl

Years
Can we talk about the state of the NBA right now? It's such a garbage run sport. You have a max of four teams who may win and then there's everyone else. Not saying that that's not what you get with other sports, but the fact that one single player changes the state of the game for a team is unlike any other sport.

It's going to be extremely boring if it's Cavs-Warriors in the finals again ngl

The thing is, the NBA's basically been this way for its entire history, save for the 1970s when the ABA was siphoning away talent. If we go back through the years, starting in 1949, the Lakers won 5 of 6 with George Mikan, then between 1959 and 1969, the Lakers and Celtics faced off 7 times, while the Celtics won 10 of 11 titles in that span and 11 of 13 going back to 1957. The '70s were much more volatile with 8 teams winning titles and 11 total teams making Finals appearances. Then '80 to '87 was the Magic/Kareem Lakers vs the Bird/McHale Celtics, with the Bad Boy Pistons replacing the Celtics as the Lakers' foe to finish the decade. Then you've got the '90s where the Bulls won 6 of 8 with the Rockets winning the two seasons during Jordan's first retirement. And the 2000s opened with a 3-peat from the Shaq/Kobe Lakers sandwiched by a pair of Spurs titles. Then you get a bit more variance until Lebron starts making Finals appearances. And despite that, We've still had a different champion each of the past 4 seasons and 6 different champions in the last 7 (even if 2 of those "different" champions did have LeBron James).

It's an effect of basketball having only 5 players per team on the court at a time.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I'm still curious as to how you define "American" sports. We play ice hockey and basketball in Sweden too, you know o: Do you mean general talk about American leagues specifically?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
This was more meant for American leagues specifically.

Though I wouldn't have issues replacing this with a proper general sports chat.
I mean, yeah, maybe we should have that, and if somebody wants to go in-depth about a specific league for a while, they can make a separate thread? :D

what do you sports fans think - a general sports DCC thread? Just to give sports a little more attention and arena, basically.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Might as well. All the threads I make are either ignored or have low post amounts. {XD}

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Aight, I stickied it. Feel free to change the title to something more general if you like, Don c:

Reactions: EC
Years
As far as the American sports leagues go I'd love to be able to watch more baseball. Unfortunately my work schedule doesn't really let me get fully immersed.

So for me it's whatever's on in the afternoon/evening. Snooker, Tennis, Diamond League athletics, F1, Super League Triathlon. I'm not too fussy.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
What sports have you been watching/following? I've been keeping tabs on the NBA Playoffs and the Stanley Cup Playoffs, myself.

Cavaliers playoff run. Indians regular season. Minnesota United FC regular season. And a little Predators hockey when nothing else is on.

Years
It's interesting that it doesn't really happen in hockey though, which is just 5 players plus a goalie on each side- not much more than basketball. Sure, there are star players just like any other sport, but I've always found chemistry and "hockey IQ" more important to successful teams than skill.

TheRose

Youtube Lets Player/Twitch Streamer
Years
  • Age 34
  • NJ
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I just have a question. since there is a dedicated nfl thread where is the MLB thread?

Years
Unless you're thinking of the Football Discussion thread (which is for soccer, not American Football), I don't think we've had an NFL thread since before the last Super Bowl.

What sports have you been watching/following? I've been keeping tabs on the NBA Playoffs and the Stanley Cup Playoffs, myself.
Since I missed this before, mostly just the Stanley Cup Playoffs right now, and a little bit of MLB when I get the chance. I don't have cable any more, so it's a pain to go out of my way to find streams, rather than casually flipping on the tv to watch something.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I started an MLB thread. It died. Like most other sports threads in the section. Even an NBA playoffs thread didn't do well this year despite doing decent last year.

Years
It's interesting that it doesn't really happen in hockey though, which is just 5 players plus a goalie on each side- not much more than basketball. Sure, there are star players just like any other sport, but I've always found chemistry and "hockey IQ" more important to successful teams than skill.

Hockey players tend to play in 2 to 3 minute bursts while rotating through 4 lines, so roster depth matters more and playing 30 minutes for a single player is considered a high amount of time on the ice, while in basketball your starters will play at least 30 minutes per game every night and you'll often only play 10 players a night in total, while a hockey team will play that many players just in forwards alone if they actually cycle through all 4 lines.

I just have a question. since there is a dedicated nfl thread where is the MLB thread?

The "football" thread is for Association football (the one Europeans play), not American football.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Three straight NBA Finals appearances. For a Cleveland team. Excellent.

Years
I don't talk about sports too much cause aside from home teams I don't know jack, but for some reason this rumor about Chris Paul potentially being traded off to San Antonio/Orlando has been spreading and I thought it was pretty interesting.

Personally, I think if Paul could bypass the curse of not winning jack and he goes to the Spurs, that's gonna be a pretty nasty lineup, especially with Kawhi. Of course, the rumor is very baseless and there's just about no way it would happen since A: They ain't got the Cap and B: Chris Paul ain't gonna play with money in escrow and he can't be guaranteed a title with teams like Golden State/Cleveland Lebroners hanging about, but it'd be interesting to see how the Spurs would weave him into their roster.

Back