• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your first pokemon series or game?

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Though it's been a long time for me, I believe I first saw the pokemon series when it was still the original series in Kanto.

My first game that I played was leaf green. After that I played at least one of the games from each generation up until you required a nintendo 3DS, which I really could not be asked to get, as that was the time I got in PC gaming, but I still enjoy to load up the old games and go through them every once in a while.

Oh and games like pokemon mystery dungeon and pokemon ranger were games I also played. I am a little disappointed now that they aren't releasing any new pokemon ranger games.

Anyway, what were your guys' first pokemon interactions? Whether it be the series or a game?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Blue. A friend loaned me it on gameboy and I continued with that game years later as my first full game in the series.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Red and Blue, particularly Red. Got it as a Christmas gift, and I managed to beat it, as well as Blue afterward. It's one of only a few Pokémon games that I've actually managed to beat, after Ruby, Emerald, FireRed, and as of now Gold (probably also Diamond, I don't know). I still need to beat Yellow, Silver, Crystal, possibly Sapphire, LeafGreen, and possibly Pearl (to say little about Platinum, HGSS, as well as Gens V-VII, which I haven't even played yet largely thanks to the boycott I enacted a while back against the Pokémon anime).

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
I got introduced to Pokémon by seeing an episode of the X and Y anime on TV, I loved it, and looked it up to see more episodes on the internet. Then I saw that X and Y had a videogame, so I bought Y and loved it.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Yellow got me into the games. But both Crystal and Emerald have a special place in my heart and are still my favorite games in the series.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I got my start with the Original series in Kanto(and subsequently Yellow version game) but my favorite series is a toss-up for me as any given day it can change. For the longest time it was XY/XYZ but recently Diamond&Pearl took the top spot when I rewatched the series in the Japanese dub(and the fact XY has such a slow start for Serena). I'm debating if I should rewatch Black&White in Japanese dub to see if it's any different than its English counterpart. Can't be much worse than Sun&Moon though.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 18, 2018
My favourite Pokemon game would be Pokemon Platinum. I love the Pokemon Sinnoh Region because of its great graphics and in game music. I also loved the pokemon import feature from GBA (pal park i think?) although importing lots of pokemon was quite tedious having to keep doing the safari to catch them for every import...
I also loved Pokemon Ruby (the original, not so much ORAS although it was still good). Ruby had great music as well, and I enjoyed the game corner and steam baths

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Just gonna move this to Pok?mon General, as it's not solely about the anime :)

For me, the TCG was how I first found pok?mon. Every kid in my school had the cards, and we traded them and played with them (not played the game, we were too young to understand how that worked, honestly haha). Until kids started scamming each other too much so they banned the TCG from school XDD

Years
Piokemon johto journeys got me into pokemon. When i was studying in 1st grade, i saw that series on a channel nemed "Toon akhatak" every evening. I liked the series. Soon after i got a pokemon fire red as a birthday gift from my mother.

Last edited:

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
My first game, as well as involvement with the franchise, was Pok?mon Emerald. That's the reason why nostalgia hits Gen 3 the hardest for me.

Years
The anime is how I got into Pokemon before the games did! I remember watching the fun time Ash had with his Bulbasaur and whatnot.

... Although apparently, according to my mother, I was into Pokemon TCG before the show considering my siblings used to collect Pokemon cards way back when. I don't remember that far back, but I suppose!

Last edited:
Years
My first interaction with pokemon was yellow version, but crystal was my favorite until now. Really loving the gen 2, even with its flaws.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 21, 2021
Pok?mon Red And Blue. In some of my early memories as a child I was playing them hardly any memory though.

Strideer

Professional Windows XP Destroyer
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Dec 27, 2023
My first pokemon game was technically emerald, but i was too young to understand how exactly to play it, and ended up deleting the save file.

My real first game, however was pokemon white. I still have my emolga nicknamed Minipete on my alpha sapphire ;')

(this also was when i first met colress on any pokemon game, and he became my favorite character on the spot, my mom even told me i used to blast out his battle theme on my dsi in the hallways :'''') )

BZRich64

The Mustachioed Machamp
Years
I started watching the Pok?mon anime back during the Kanto saga when I was little. My first Pok?mon game was Yellow, which my parents got for me off of Ebay when I was somewhere around 10~11ish.

Years
The anime was what first introduced me on the franchise, and I was hooked on it from day one when they showed a preview episode (Battle Aboard the St. Anne), even before they showed episode 1. I got into the TCG as soon as it came out too, and still remember where I opened up my first booster pack, and that Dewgong was the first card I pulled out.

It actually wasn't until a number of years later that I got into the games. I had borrowed my cousin's copy of Yellow at one point, but I didn't have my own game until I got a used copy of Gold, and didn't have any game brand-new until Sapphire came around.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Sapphire!~ I remember getting it with a Spongebob Exclusive Gameboy advance. I traded with my cousin because I didn't want a silver gameboy (I got two by accident so I gave one to him) Good times!

NergyTheMighty

Can't we all just get along? Pretty please?
Years
It was around Gen IV that I started playing the games, but oddly enough, my first Pokemon adventure started on Pokemon Gold on an online emulator or something, I forget the details now. However, I can easily say that my first official Pokemon journey started on Pokemon HeartGold, and I was able to get up until PKMN Trainer Red, who, still to this day, is a hurdle I am still unable to pass (but I'm getting there... ;-] ).
Oddly enough, despite starting in Gen IV, Sinnoh was the only region I had not visited until a few months ago, when I bought a used copy of Diamond at GameStop with my mom. To this day, though, the core series games are my definitive way to play Pokemon 'till the ends of my days.

Back