• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No rules gen 2 team

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 27, 2018
Hello, this is my first post so excuse me if it's a little rough :/

Me and a few friends got some gen 2 cartridges to relive our childhood a bit. I got crystal and have been trying to form a cohesive team of pokemon i've picked purely for aesthetic and sentimental reasons. Me and my friends are not by any means serious gen2 meta battlers but i still want my team to be as competitive as possible.

The goal of my team is to baton pass stat boosts to sweepers to make them unstoppable.
I understand that gen2 players usually find success in stall teams, but i decided to go against the grain to challenge myself and hopefully surprise my opponents.

Anyway here's my team:

MrMime:
Baton pass
Reflect/barrier
Double Team
Psychic

Scizor:
Baton pass
Agility
Swords dance
Steel wing

Golduck:
Hypnosis
Surf
Light screen
Cross chop

Ho-oh:
Sacred Fire
Thunderbolt
Whirlwind
Shadowball

Tyranitar:
Rockslide
Crunch
Roar
Earthquake

Porygon2:
Tri-attack
Recover
Thunder wave
Icebeam

My thinking (and its worked to general success in-game) is that tyranitar and hooh can phaze any pokemon trying to setup against me (curse users in particular) and still be great mixed sweepers in their own right. Especially if they recieve some bp support from scizor/mime. Mime and scizor are mostly utility but can also dish out a surprising amount of stab damage with psychic/steelwing. Porygon2 can paralyze the opponents team all day and keep recovering, which is crucial to keeping my team as fast as possible. That plus stab tri-attack and an icebeam make pory a huge threat. Golduck has been the hardest pokemon to integrate into my team but i think he works quite nicely. Hypnosis is there to stall out the other team and allow time to set up, light screen is there to bulk him up or as a psuedopass to other sweepers. Cross chop and stab surf are there to punish the opponent.

Yeah... Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Hope i dont get roasted for having such a goofy team.

Even Flow

Welcome to the Zoo
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2018
Anyway here's my team:

MrMime:
Baton pass
Reflect/barrier
Double Team
Psychic

Mr.Mime needs more Encore and/or Hypnosis btw if you're actually using it. Though i feel your team would benefit more from Growth passing Espeon if you can get hold of it.

Scizor:
Baton pass
Agility
Swords dance
Steel wing

I suppose. PHazer bait however.

Golduck:
Hypnosis
Surf
Light screen
Cross chop

Meh there are much better waters and receivers to make use of the boosts, Poliwrath is one example with access to Lovely Kiss and Belly Drum, STAB fighting moves etc. Tentacruel is also superior with a better movepool.

Ho-oh:
Sacred Fire
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball / Earthquake
Recover

No Recover no party.

Tyranitar:
Rockslide
Crunch / Fire Blast
Roar
Rest

k

Porygon2:
Tri-attack
Recover
Thunder wave
Icebeam

comments in bold.

Main problem is this team cannot really take status. I feel p2 is also dead weight. Raikou and Zap also flat out 6-0 you. An electric resist or immunity and a back up counter for Hidden Power [Ice/Waters] electrics is obligatory in GSC. (see something like Steelix/Rhydon/Nido/Raikou/Marowak/Egg + Lax etc). Suicune (see: Roar/Toxic/Rest/Surf) and most waters are also idiots to this team. Jolteon can pass and is an electric resist and beats waters which would fit on well here along with Lax or something over Mime and P2 which would solidify you up a bit defensively. Growth/Rest or Sub or Hidden Power water/Thunder(bolt)/BPass is a nice jolt set.

Last edited:
Back