• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I still play this game?

Years
I am at the point of time where I am contemplating to stop playing pokemon or at the very least take a very long break from it. I have been playing these games for about 9 or 10 years. Before you say anything, I am not questioning if I should keep playing or not because I think people will judge me or that I think I've outgrown these games. I have basically become bored of all of the main series games and yes, I have tried nuzlockes but I have found them frustrating rather than exciting essentially meaning that the only place I can find enjoyment is in competitive battling. There does come 2 more BIG things that are swaying me away from the games and that would be Verlisify and how consistently the games piss me off . I don't want to elaborate much on Verlisify because I don't want this thread to devolve into a shit show and if you know who the guy is you probably know why he sways me away from these game a bit so I am just gonna talk about the other thing. I have honestly never played a game that has pissed me off more than Pokemon and that is coming from someone who has played I Wanna be the Guy to completion and League of Legends and managed to stay calm while playing both. This is especially apparent when I am playing competitive pokemon when things don't work out I stay calm at first but then I start to get really pissed off and eventually flip my shit. I honestly have no idea why this happens for Pokemon specifically and not any other game I play. I would still get some pokemon merch and maybe watch the anime if I stopped playing the games but that would probably be about it. Anyways, I'm sorry if this thread mostly seems like complaining but I just really needed to vent out and I would like to hear what you guys think I should do.

Years
Moving this to PGC because this seems to be about the games in general rather than the franchise.

That said...

I do strongly believe to this day that Pokemon games are meant to be enjoyed as a lighthearted series above all else. I suppose there's merit in becoming bored of these games as you do the same thing practically every single generation after all -- you are a child whose tasked to take down the big bad evil team and become Champion -- but I'd argue for most people, there's a childhood charm in doing that. There's a charm in starting off fresh and new every single time, collecting and assembling a team of little pocket monsters and see what kind of fun stuff you can do with them besides competitive battling all the time. I argue that playing casually is the best way to enjoy the series rather than wreck your brain over it, because that tends to exhaust you quite quickly (I would know, that's exactly how I get bored of Pokemon games quickly, myself).

Unfortunately, there isn't really a remedy for this. I suggest taking a break from Pokemon gaming and coming back to it at a later point once you feel you can progress through the games with a different mindset, because that's really what it is at the end of the day. The kind of mindset that you have approaching Pokemon games would significantly influence how much enjoyment you get out of it.

Last edited:

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I agree with what colours said. Do not put much brain into it and just enjoy. But what I do when I get bored of the main series games I turn on my emulator and start playing the great hacks found on pokecommunity. The people doing it put great effort into it so that could lead you to start enjoying the games again.

And about verlisify... I just ignore his presence on planet earth you should do the same makes poketube more fun and the games more enjoyable. It doesn't matter what popular franchise you are playing there will always be a verlisify there is just nothing to do about that unfortunately. Just hoping some kind of DC Hero will take this Villains Account down someday

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Try playing some fan games hun. There's a few of them that stray from the beaten path that the official games are increasingly clinging to, and if you're bored that might just be the thing for you. I can't say about the frustration, but if that doesn't work out for you, take a break and try and return to the series in a while when your attitude about it has changed. I barely know who Verlisify is, I've stayed away from the Pokemon side of youtube with the exception of occasional munching orange videos, but you do have the choice to unsubscribe.

Back