• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Favorite Sinnoh Starter?

What's your favorite Sinnoh starter?

• Turtwig

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Piplup

Votes: 24 28.9%

• Total voters
Years
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum introduced new starters: Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup as Sinnoh's Starter Pokemon: Which one did you like the most?

I preferred Piplup, it started off very cute and ended up being my favorite Pokemon as Empoleon. (It also had a very useful typing.)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Piplup. When they announced there was a penguin Pokémon I knew I wasn't even going to have to think about my starter choice. Design-wise and battle usability-wise it never lets you down (not the biggest fan of Prinplup's design but its still decent, this seems to be a theme for me with water-type starters' first evolutions from Gen III onwards), even if the sheer prevalence of Earthquake in the Elite Four is irritating.

Years
It was pretty close between Piplup and Chimchar, but ultimately I prefer Chimchar's evolutionary line so I ended up voting for it.

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
Years
Turtwig. I used Chimchar on my first run, but now that I look back on it, I like Turtwig the best. Plus, choosing Turtwig means that Barry uses Chimchar and Dawn/Lucas uses Piplup, and that feels right for those two.

Also, Torterra is awesome.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
, choosing Turtwig means that Barry uses Chimchar and Dawn/Lucas uses Piplup, and that feels right for those two.

I have to agree with this. Even before i'd seen the anime, or read the Sinnoh chapter of Adventures, Barry using Chimchar just seemed right - my first playthrough with Piplup, where he'd be constantly running around yet have both Torterra and Snorlax, just seemed weird.

Years
Piplup was my initial fave (thank you, anime Dawn) but over time Chimchar grew on me a lot, so it became my fave of the three. Being a Monkey in the Chinese Zodiac helped too, since it was natural that I would like monkeys.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I still remember when I picked Chimchar when I played Platinum for the first time, and it turns out to be great in battle once it evolves, so it instantly become my fave straight away.

Zura

yuh
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 15, 2018
Piplup was who I originally picked (although I played Platinum at least 6 times)

But Empoleon was my favorite Pokemon for a long time because of this. (He's still in my top 5!)

Years
My cute teeny penguin, as annoying as some find him to be (in the anime). Water/steel is a super unique type combo and I loved using Empoleon in the games. Don't much like Prinplup though.. but otherwise, definitely do prefer Piplup's line overall.

Torterra does have an awesome concept also! I was just never a big fan of the way it looked. =(

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I almost always will pick the grass starter. Sinnoh was no exception. And it will be no exception when we get remakes.

Hopefully we get remakes.

Please give us remakes.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Turtwig is growing on me now I've actually picked him for the first time since about 2008.

My Grotle just swept Maylene - used Curse 4x against Meditite, healed, 3HKOd Lucario with Razor Leaf, then OHKO'd Machoke as well (with only 1 hp remaining - paralysis had stopped him for 6 successive turns letting him get whittled down).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I never liked Turtwing or its evos... I guess their design simply doesn't appeal to me.

Chimchar and Infernape and especially Monferno, I really really like! Always did. Piplup and its family is cool, but I generally seldom found water starters very useful in the games (Primarina and Swampert are exceptions!!!!). Fire/Fighting is a combo I really like haha. And the monkeys did this really well imo. Currently fighting my way through Platinum (slooowly) with a great Infernape by my side.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I have only played DPP with Chimchar, unlike other games where I choose different starters for different play throughs. I just love Infernape so much!

+fire types are relatively scarce in DPP, so Chimchar is always a good choice.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
Turtwig, mainly because I like the designs of Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra more than the other starters and their evolutions. Also Torterra's moveset and typing is pretty good, even if it is really weak against ice types.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I went for Piplup the first time around, and I was really disappointed at its evolution :( They had lost their cuteness. But I really disliked Chimchar and did not really care about Turtwig
Recently however, I saw some nice fanart of Torterra and I grew to love it a lot. So I went with Turtwig :3

Back