• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Well Someone Like You and Set Fire to the Rain are incredibly whiny songs, especially the former. I can't stand whiny songs. Then there's... I dunno. I don't hate her like a lot of people do, but there is just a quality about her that I don't like but I can't quite put my finger on it lol.

There is this one guy I know from school though lol - one time he put as his Facebook status: "Adele came on at the gym... so I left." I could not stop laughing for ages lmao.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
^ Is it that her songs are mad overplayed? I love Adele, but the radio ruined "Rolling in the Deep" for me by playing it what felt like every five minutes on e v e r y station. :(

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I had a hold on the film A Separation. Best film I've seen for this Oscars season (though I haven't seen much else), and may as well be the one of the best films I've seen yet. I was glued to my seat for two hours that seemed to pass by unnoticed. Not to mention the life-like acting. :3
OMG this was the reason that I gave you my Good Noodle emblem! Awesomesauce!
I watched Midnight In Paris that other day too. Sweet and amusing to say the least, and I liked it. Great music too. It won't win Best Picture though, methinks. Although now I find myself singing quite a bit of Cole Porter now and then. ^_^
Although this made me want to take it away from you; ugh, Midnight in Paris.

Shining Raichu

Years
^ Is it that her songs are mad overplayed? I love Adele, but the radio ruined "Rolling in the Deep" for me by playing it what felt like every five minutes on e v e r y station. :(

That might have something to do with it, I'm really not sure lol

OMG this was the reason that I gave you my Good Noodle emblem! Awesomesauce!

I'll try not to take this personally, Cat Dog! I'll just assume mine got lost in the mail!

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
Ooh, thanks for the emblems mateys. <3

I envy the countries who make the effort to create quality film. Here in Malaysia, people fawn over mat rempit (google it up), comedy (along the lines of Jack and Jill), horror-thriller (along the lines of I Know Who Killed Me) and religion-preachy movies. Plus, the film industry would rather push kitsch movies for money or to brainwash youths with religious mumbojumbo. All the good films here are either attacked by conservatives or overlooked by the majority of the audience favouring Transformers or Journey 2 or some sham like that. meh /end rant

Eh, I just realised they're not airing the Oscars live here. Harumph. Will there be an "online live feed" by any chance other than non-fun Twitter updates?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'll try not to take this personally, Cat Dog! I'll just assume mine got lost in the mail!
When we last spoke on MSN and I was trying to get you to watch A Separation you said, and I quote: "I'm not racist but foreign movies are kinda boring."

NO EMBLEM FOR YOU!

And there will be online feeds for the Oscars; that's how I'll be watching them. Search for ABC live stream or something similar and you'll get something eventually.

Rest

Years
^ Thanks, I'll have it searched. ^_^

In regards to the review contest, grats on Barrels. :D I thought SelenaStar's review was really good as well, but everyone did great. :3

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the emblem Mr Cat Dog. <3

Shining Raichu

Years
When we last spoke on MSN and I was trying to get you to watch A Separation you said, and I quote: "I'm not racist but foreign movies are kinda boring."

NO EMBLEM FOR YOU!

I highly doubt that was a direct quote! :( though I did say something like that lmao. I'm sorry, I find it hard to be interested while reading subtitles. Call it a character flaw.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Have any of you not dropped Guilty Crown? this show is hilarious.
Spoiler:
And I thought High School Boys was the best comedy of the season.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Trying to get into rap more. The only artists I listen to are Eminem, Kanye West, T.I., and Tyler, The Creator. As many recommendations you can think of would be much appreciated! No pop influences, please.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Trying to get into rap more. The only artists I listen to are Eminem, Kanye West, T.I., and Tyler, The Creator. As many recommendations you can think of would be much appreciated! No pop influences, please.

check above post, lol
But more towards what you like:
Bad Meets Evil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc70OC39vTk (album is a collab including Eminem)
Wu-tang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrsfJHLx5YA
Kno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QCkkXNPCG8
Mellowhype, also from OFWG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om5VvZ5vCXI
Kendrick Lamar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep0hay4Qw54
Schoolboy Q: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCuO89cQq0
Milo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0VAEm0Z9w4
Jak Progresso: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrRMHQ0rpyY
Lil B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kEVAuRllNw

all of the above come from albums that are worth listening to in their entirety.

and artists that you probably have heard of before but might be worth looking into more: Kid Cudi, Curren$y, OutKast, CunninLynguists, Notorious B.I.G., Common, Murs, Das Racist

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Well, Oscar ballots are now due at AMPAS HQ, so all people can do now is sit back and wait 'til Sunday. I feel exhausted just following the Oscar season, so I can't imagine how people like Jean Dujardin and Viola Davis feel before their inevitable wins.

Rest

Years
^ You know what? This really could go to Streep. People have been saying it's head-to-head between her and Davis.

I just watched Beginners. This was a pleasant surprise, given the one-nomination in Oscars (watched it because of Christopher Plummer's shoe-in win prediction, and everyone's favourite Shosanna Dreyfus). And omg, what is up with the CUTE LITTLE DOGS? First Uggie, now this Jack Russell Terrier. I'm in love. <3

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Cutest film dog of 2011 is a battle between Skeletor from 50/50:

tumblr_lsa0pmjYfg1qkvoswo2_500.jpg

and Snowy from Tintin:

adventures-tintin-snowy.jpg

Uggie and Cosmo are cute, but don't have a patch on these critters!

Years
What is with everyone and their animated signatures here.

I haven't seen either of those movies, Cat, but Uggie was pretty adorable in how he acted even if he wasn't the prettiest dog out there.

Shining Raichu

Years
Because gifs are the new black.

I vote for Skeletor, he looks adorable and Tintin was not that great a movie in general lol.

Years
So, Cat, how does the whole ballot process work? (She asks, expecting an expert answer.) Who exactly gets to decide what gets short listed before the vote?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Oh Scarfy, OF COURSE you're going to get an expert answer!

Oscar Voting 101: Essentially, the voting process for the Academy Awards is divided into two stages: nominations and voting. Different members of the Academy (defined below) take part in different stages, so it's important to know when each stage is and who votes in what and so on.

Nominations: At the end of each year (around the last week in December) nomination ballots are sent out to each member of the Academy. The Academy (full name: Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences) is a group of around 6,000 individuals in the film industry. About a quarter of them are actors, but it includes people from all sections of filmmaking from directors to producers to make-up artists and sound mixers. Each of these members belong to an Academy Branch. Someone like Martin Scorsese belongs in the Directors' Branch, and Angelina Jolie in the Actors and Sandy Powell in the Costumers and so on. For the most part, it's obvious.

For the actual nominations, each member gets a ballot designated to that branch, wherein the members of that branch nominate their peers for their specific awards. For example, writers can only nominate people in the Screenplay categories; editors can only nominate people in the editing categories etc. However, everyone can nominate films for Best Picture as that is a wholly synoptic category. Members are then asked to rank their top 5 for each available award. So, for someone like Quentin Tarantino - who's in the Writers' Branch - he could nominate people in Best Original Screenplay, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Picture.*

I could go into detail about the mathematics of how the voting system works (though members rank their five choices, it is, in reality, their first one that makes the difference), but suffice to say that in all of the categories except Best Picture, the 5 films/performances that receive the most Number 1 votes get nominated.

For Best Picture, things are more complicated, especially this year. After the self-described 'failure' of switching to 10 Best Picture nominees, the Academy switched to a system where there could be anywhere between 5 and 10 nominees. The way the number of nominees is chosen is that after all the ballots for Best Picture have been sent in, only those who have received 5% of the total Number 1 placed votes can go forward into the next round. This year, although it seems like the The Artist has things all sewn up, that there were 9 nominees indicates that there were pockets of passion for many of the remaining films (hence nominations for The Tree of Life and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: two very divisive films). In a sense, in order to get a Best Picture nomination, you need to have a relatively small fanbase in the Academy that puts your film squarely at Number 1 on their ballots.

Voting lasts from the beginning of January for about two weeks. When all the votes have been counted and verified by accountants from PriceWaterhouseCoopers, the President of the Academy (accompanied by a young actress, probably nominated at the last year's ceremony) announce the main nominations on US breakfast TV.

*Tarantino could actually nominate people in Best Director as well because of a cool rule that states if you yourself have been received a nomination in a category outside your branch, you can nominate people for that category from the next year onwards.

Voting: About a week after the announcement, final ballots are sent to all of the members of the Academy. This time, everyone in the Academy can vote for the winner in every category (for the most part). So, actors can now vote for writing awards, and cinematographers can vote for sound awards and so on. Instead of ranking the films, voters simply choose one. Unlike the complicated mathematics that goes into determining the nominees, voting is relatively simple, and the first-past-the-post system is used.

Certain categories are only open to voters can can confirm that they've seen all of the nominated films. Those include the Documentary, Foreign Language, and all of the Short categories. Because not everyone has the time or the desire to see all of these, the eventual winners are normally determined by a much smaller group than the Academy as a whole, leading to an often esoteric set of winners in any given year.

Also, Best Picture proves to be the big, important exception to the FPTP voting described above. Voters still need to rank these ones and the category is determined in the same way (for more info, look at the Single Transferable Vote system). Because of the voting system, to win Best Picture at the Oscars, the film needs to be a consensus favourite, which is why The Artist will win on Sunday. No one hates it, even though there has been a backlash in recent weeks.

-~-~-~

Hopefully that's explained everything, but feel free to ask more questions if I've only caused more confusion.

Years
That explains everything and then some. I'm actually pretty surprised how fair it all seems once you get past the fact that only 6000 people are able to nominate and vote in the whole process. I guess that's a high number, but I probably see thousands of names in the credits of a single movie so in that respect it seems like a lot of people are being left out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back