• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokécommunity should make better use of the HTML header system.

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
Hello, while navigating the Pokécommunity pages today, I realized something. Hardly any headers! Headers aren't just for looks, they make websites more accessible to the visually impared such as myself.
Pokécommunity is completely accessible, however not always convenient. Doing a find search to find spesific posts and forums is quite, in my opinion, unnecessary.
There should be headings before each of the forums when you are viewing the main page, headings before each of the thread titles, and even before each of the categories.
Not a must, but would make Pokécommunity a more pleasant experience for the visually impared, and heck, maybe even for the sighted, I don't know. Just an idea, I am more interested in your opinion on the matter?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'm not really sure what a HTML header is, but it sounds great! Could you give us an example?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'm a web-designer but I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Would you be able to give us an example? Designers are always looking for more ways to make web-pages more accessible, so if there's any way you could provide us with an example, that would be great.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
We have forum splashes at the top of each forum. Is that similar to what you mean? They can be edited with html, though I don't think that's a common knowledge among everyone so not ever forum has an html forum splash (Trade Corner and Challenges are the only ones that I know have one).

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Hello,
He's talking about the HTML heading tags. This is probably difficult to do since PC uses commercial forum software, and I'd suspect that it would require a good bit of modification to vBulletin itself.
In HTML, (now this might get filtered), the statement <h1>Pokemon</h1> would create a large heading on the page titled Pokemon. A screen reader would read this as "Heading level 1 Pokemon" and allow a key press to jump the curser directly to it. A statement like <h2>Fire pokemon</h2> would create a smaller heading titled Fire pokemon.

Again, I'd have to guess that this is easier said than done unless there's someone on the team who's familiar with vBulletin enough to mod it.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Replacing <> by [] would enable you to use heading tags in posts. It's a feature which is already in place.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Oh you mean BB codes for heading tags? Well then.

Heading Title One

[h1]Heading Title One[/h1]

Heading Title Two

[h2]Heading Title Two[/h2]

Heading Title Three

[h3]Heading Title Three[/h3]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'm afraid not, that would be intrusive of the forum style and design. It would actually visually impair the screen and viewablility as opposed to enhancing it. There are plenty of screen assisting applications built into each operating system for that sort of assisting.

However, in respect of this, perhaps a style could be created for those who are visually impaired.

Last edited:
Years
The way the HTML header system works would be visually obstructive, and as far as I can tell, there aren't really any good ways to implement it within vBulletin.

There might be a vBulletin plugin that provides a solution to this somewhere on the web, but, not having a vBulletin license myself, I would not be able to scour the vBulletin forums for one that works with the version of vBulletin run here.

If one were found, there would still be the matter of getting it approved and implemented.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
I don't know how dirty it is as it didn't take too long at all, but I think I was able to do what you're asking on another forum.

The following edits should wrap forum categories, forums, sub forums and then threads with the <header>.

I don't know if the different numbers are necessary; I haven't tested it with any screen reading/magnifying software, which is why I can't be certain of anything!

(Master Style) Template Modifications:

Spoiler:

(necessary edits in bold, duh)

Additional CSS Definitions:

Spoiler:

Shouldn't compromise any style's css, unless they're weird.

I also think BBCode tags are left untouched as well as they actually have their own styling rules.

edit: I've been researching screen readers and how they interact with web pages and I think I've underestimated the changes that would need to be made, and also misunderstood how headers work.

There's a lot more to do yet, but I'm totally up for it.

I'll try my best to implement it into the master style, but it might have to become a style of it's own if I have too much trouble.

Expect a PMs oon though, pokemonmasteraaron! I'll be getting you to be my guinea pig!

Last edited:
Back