• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game] The Artistic Perspective #1 - Moonblast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016

The Artistic Perspective #1
The Moonblast challenge

welcome to TAP
Hello everyone and welcome to TAP, or otherwise known as The Artistic Perspective! This is a unique sort of competition that will force you to bury deep within yourself and in turn create something magnificent in a way you may not be used to. In this competition you, along with everyone else, will start off with the exact same slate. In TAP you will be challenged to use the same exact render as everyone else. That's right! Everyone will be set to using the same render as the next person, and thus, you will be asked to create a piece of your own from it - different, unique from the rest.

Because that's what this competition is about : Your perspective.

So show everyone what you've got!

your guide to success
Just like every other competition in A&D, this one is no exception; it comes with a set of highly specific rules! Since the perspective challenge is a little different from average contests here, it's very important that you pay attention to the following rules. If you have any questions about your entry, feel free to contact either Mario or Fairy, the hosts of this competition.

► Themes, tags, icons, anything you can think of to use the render for are permitted! There is no medium restriction!
► Tags should be no bigger than 500 x 250, and icons no bigger than 150 x 150. Other mediums should be reasonably sized, common sense is your best friend, and enclosed in a spoiler.
► One entry per person. Themes are the exception, but should include icon(s) and a tag.
► You must use the provided subject; and your entry absolutely must include and encircle the provided render.
► You are allowed to edit your piece after you've submitted it.
► Late entries are not accepted, so please make due with the time you have.
► CSS built signatures are allowed. We are considering this a form of art given the amount of skill that is required to create one.
► Friendly commentary and critique are accepted.
All entries should be PMed to either Mario or Fairy. Do not post your final product in this thread. This is because we feel the element of anonymity will prevent preferential or unfair voting.

I'll say it again. All entries should be submitted via PM.

the focus!
In the spoiler is the subject of this competition. Keep in mind that you must use this exact image in your entry. We've chosen something fun and exciting, albeit a little biased on my part. However, this should not require a heavy time nor work commitment to make something really special.

Recall that the theme of this contest is Moonblast so make sure your piece reflects your interpretation of this.

Spoiler:

the deadline
So, you're all ready to get up and start arti-ng, right?! YEAH! But, remember that you have until o6/16/2014 to complete and submit your entry. That is exactly ten (10) days before the submission period is over. Seven (7) more will be used for voting.

o6 / 16 / 2014

Don't forget!

All questions and comments regarding this contest may be asked here, or be directed via PM to Mario or Fairy. If you want more information about the voting stage, a recap on why you must submit your entry, or additional information regarding how this contest is being conducted; this is the place to address these issues.

I encourage you to discuss ideas for what to create, since there is no medium restriction. HTML splashes, website mockups, MS Paint, or doodles on the back of a paper plate that you take a picture of-- these are all allowed and will be judged based on how well the subject has been represented and the theme best captured. This is your chance to go wild in A&D! So go!

hosted by Mario & Fairy
image credit to JaJaChanx3
background image credit to Alex Davis
CSS by Fairy

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Sounds fun, posting here as a reminder. Best of luck to all who enter, may the best artist win! :)

One question, does a sylveon need to be in our entry?

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
Sounds fun, posting here as a reminder. Best of luck to all who enter, may the best artist win! :)

One question, does a sylveon need to be in our entry?

The render that was provided in "The Focus" section is the one that has to be in your entry.

How you use it is completely your call though! Use whatever medium you wish!

But yes you must use that exact Sylveon haha.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
This idea is downright awesome. I remember there being fixed render contests over at Narutoforums and they were all insanely fun. And they were all just purely tag-based ones. But when you throw in the fact that you can go absolutely wild and use any medium then it becomes a whole lot more fun. A&D needs more stuff like this. Kudos to you for coming up with this idea, man.

I'm definitely participating. :)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
so, I do have to say the stock was hard for me to work with? i tried like four different ideas before hitting something I thought was good enough. idk maybe I'm just not really in a mood to work with pastels. not that I'm ever really lol I like my bold colors. But I also tried something very very different to what I normally do so maybe I just confused myself? idk. also i wish i had more time to do this lol i'm about to leave for two weeks and still so busy ;__; i really like this idea tho

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
so, I do have to say the stock was hard for me to work with? i tried like four different ideas before hitting something I thought was good enough. idk maybe I'm just not really in a mood to work with pastels. not that I'm ever really lol I like my bold colors. But I also tried something very very different to what I normally do so maybe I just confused myself? idk. also i wish i had more time to do this lol i'm about to leave for two weeks and still so busy ;__; i really like this idea tho

Ahhh you're making me wish I chose a different render and gave more time or something. ;-;

If it makes you feel better, we'll definitely have a non-pastely render next round. I only started off with Sylveon because I felt it'd be neat to dedicate it to Fairy haha.
She approved my challenge so I thought it would be appropriate. :3 (though that may mean I'll use a Mario render next time woops.~)

I'm really happy to hear that you tried something different though! We were hoping this event would inspire everyone to step outside of their comfort zone. I'm excited to see what you've made! I really would make the competition longer but the thing is that 10 days is quite a while already.. not including the 7 days we'll use for judging. I'm really really sorry about the time constraint. ;; I hope it doesn't become an issue in the future and that you can participate more easily another time.

Thanks for your feedback, though! I appreciate it very much!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Ahhh you're making me wish I chose a different render and gave more time or something. ;-;

If it makes you feel better, we'll definitely have a non-pastely render next round. I only started off with Sylveon because I felt it'd be neat to dedicate it to Fairy haha.
She approved my challenge so I thought it would be appropriate. :3 (though that may mean I'll use a Mario render next time woops.~)

I'm really happy to hear that you tried something different though! We were hoping this event would inspire everyone to step outside of their comfort zone. I'm excited to see what you've made! I really would make the competition longer but the thing is that 10 days is quite a while already.. not including the 7 days we'll use for judging. I'm really really sorry about the time constraint. ;; I hope it doesn't become an issue in the future and that you can participate more easily another time.

Thanks for your feedback, though! I appreciate it very much!
Ahh nonono the timeframe you gave was perfect; it just didn't coincide with my schedule at all lmao being completely gone from the day after I made that til now and leaving again later today. Don't listen to me that much; if you look at my shop it's like alllll bright stuff haha I just personally don't work too well with pastels. Do what you want man; the challenge is obvs to work with something I wouldn't usually and it's a lovely idea you have going here. :3 The only thing I'm really a little thrown off by is the anonymity factor; I'm so used to submitting what I have and then actually talking about what I made and what other people got going on haha. But it's different and we'll see how it goes; I'm thinking it's gonna work well anyway~

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
Ahh nonono the timeframe you gave was perfect; it just didn't coincide with my schedule at all lmao being completely gone from the day after I made that til now and leaving again later today. Don't listen to me that much; if you look at my shop it's like alllll bright stuff haha I just personally don't work too well with pastels. Do what you want man; the challenge is obvs to work with something I wouldn't usually and it's a lovely idea you have going here. :3 The only thing I'm really a little thrown off by is the anonymity factor; I'm so used to submitting what I have and then actually talking about what I made and what other people got going on haha. But it's different and we'll see how it goes; I'm thinking it's gonna work well anyway~

Well, I think the thing about the anonymity factor is that if people wish to commentate on a piece itself they can quote it within their post and give critique on it. It helps us to see the artwork rather than the 'who made it', so as to avoid anyone being biased with their opinions. Cause if you don't know who made what, all you'll be able to see is the amazing pieces all put together. uvu

Hopefully it works out though!

Last day reminder guys!

After tomorrow we'll close off this thread and pull open the voting one so please make sure you submit your works to either myself or Fairy before tomorrow's end!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
idk maybe I'm an outlier but I've always looked at the pieces before the names? probably because i read the posts without really noting who writes them until after. and I only ever used the named to know what to check in the poll? that's why I'm like 'why' lol. Also the other thing about anonymous critique is that... I prefer to know who I'm talking to and whose work I'm talking about because people very much take things differently. I'll end up saying the same thing about the piece, yes, but depending on who it is I may explain a thing differently or use different wording. I may choose to talk more about certain aspects depending on what I know about their previous works and what habits I see there. Art is very personal and I don't really feel right talking about it when I don't know who I'm talking about tbh.

idk that's my view of it but whatever man this is the only art community i've ever been in so who knows what other people do or what works other places

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
idk maybe I'm an outlier but I've always looked at the pieces before the names? probably because i read the posts without really noting who writes them until after. and I only ever used the named to know what to check in the poll? that's why I'm like 'why' lol. Also the other thing about anonymous critique is that... I prefer to know who I'm talking to and whose work I'm talking about because people very much take things differently. I'll end up saying the same thing about the piece, yes, but depending on who it is I may explain a thing differently or use different wording. I may choose to talk more about certain aspects depending on what I know about their previous works and what habits I see there. Art is very personal and I don't really feel right talking about it when I don't know who I'm talking about tbh.

idk that's my view of it but whatever man this is the only art community i've ever been in so who knows what other people do or what works other places

We'll probably put names down that don't involve the user themselves or numbers instead for the poll this time around and see how that goes.

I know what you mean though by not caring for who made what and rather what the product looks like, as I do the same thing. But we wanted to try a different approach to this system and see how things may wind up. Consider it a test run if you will! One that I find may result in interesting things. But hey there's only one way to find out, and that's to go ahead and do it!

I do actually think you make a very valid point though in regards to the anonymity system. Art is a very personal thing indeed, but perhaps this can be a learning experience for everyone. I wanted to make this competition a step out of the comfort zone. So I suppose I've done that in all aspects, not just with the render choice.

If the anonymity system proves to be more of a hassle or a bad idea than a good one, we'll change it back. But let's just give it a shot for now and see what we think.

In fact, it might be kind of fun to try to figure out what piece belongs to who! It could be like a game! This is 'The Artistic Perspective', and artists are known to have their own style. Let's see how much of that style comes out in the piece.~

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
haha I was just thinking something like that- "I bet I could pinpoint who made most of what gets submitted if I actually try". but yeah I getcha this is a test run and that idk just putting my perspective out there :P

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
You probably think that way because you're too caring, lol. I'm a douche so its all the same for me. :p I wouldn't shy away from being harsh in my critique if I see it that way. Besides, if you are going to go ahead and put your works up, you should be prepared to receive both +ve comments and -ve criticism. It doesn't work just one way. But that's just my personal view on the topic. I say what I feel is right. Perhaps not the wisest thing to do considering the fact that I have messed up and hurt others in the process in the past but...meh, I am what I am.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much, Aquacorde. I've seen this happen a few times in the past (gfx contests used this) and it never was a problem. :)

Edit: THAT REMINDS ME THIS IS THE LAST DAY WHOOPS - please god no electricity cuts for the next one hour. that's all I ask. I'll send my entry in a while if things work out. please cross fingers for me everybody!!!

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
You probably think that way because you're too caring, lol. I'm a douche so its all the same for me. :p I wouldn't shy away from being harsh in my critique if I see it that way. Besides, if you are going to go ahead and put your works up, you should be prepared to receive both +ve comments and -ve criticism. It doesn't work just one way. But that's just my personal view on the topic. I say what I feel is right. Perhaps not the wisest thing to do considering the fact that I have messed up and hurt others in the process in the past but...meh, I am what I am.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much, Aquacorde. I've seen this happen a few times in the past (gfx contests used this) and it never was a problem. :)

Edit: THAT REMINDS ME THIS IS THE LAST DAY WHOOPS - please god no electricity cuts for the next one hour. that's all I ask. I'll send my entry in a while if things work out. please cross fingers for me everybody!!!

I gotta say I agree with dero on that first point up there. :D;

Afterall! You don't improve by hearing positive feedback exclusively! You've gotta be able to handle any negative feedback you get and be fully prepared to hear them out. It helps you learn what you can improve on, and that's definitely essential to artwork. It's a growing, evolving, changing skill that requires a lot of other eyes to see what's being done well and what isn't. At least, that's how I feel about it.

Also don't be too worried! You have all day today to complete your piece! Hopefully it'll work with you sometime today so you can complete it. ;v;

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I'm not saying I'm exclusively positive? I'm saying some people respond better to different tones and different focus points. I'm not going to shy away from saying a negative thing, but I'd much prefer to present the comment in a way that the artist would be more receptive to. We all know people get defensive af sometimes and I'd rather avoid that in favor of a conversation. Thats all im sayin man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back