• 1206 replies

Roni

shen't
Philippines
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
16,802 posts
8.8 Years
29. A couple days to go til 2022. How was everyone's year like?
Paired with Starlight
VPP
Flair & Profile
Crafted by the lovely Fairy

Lycanthropy

Owl + Bear =
Owlbear

Age 25
any
Clan of Fools, Waterdeep
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
30. HAPPY NEW YEAR PEOPLES!! ~

I've been okay, I've managed to stay alive and mostly sane through the mess that the world and my life is in, so that's good!

As far as Pokémon goes, I have gotten a bit out of the loop. I did start a Randomized Soullocke the other day though with user gimmepie. We're both playing a randomized version of SoulSilver, where the Pokémon I caught on, say, Route 42 is linked to his Route 42 catch. That means if either is on the team, the other will need to be on the team in the linked game as well. And if one dies... the linked Pokémon perishes too. :c
It's been going pretty good so far! We're at four badges with only a few deaths which were mostly GP's fault smh.

So what has everybody else been up to? :D

ZeoStar

Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 8 Hours Ago
8,089 posts
4.3 Years

@Roni if you see this, I just took my turn.

I'm pretty sure you just won, but it was a nice game. Very well played and your definitely the stronger player. It was greatly played with how you broke my kingside. I actually have never seen that around our rating range. Most people will just trade down the center, and honestly I thought that's what you would play into.
http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/_uploads/photos/1c9662e4/cloud_3_400x350.jpg

Roni

shen't
Philippines
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
16,802 posts
8.8 Years

@Roni if you see this, I just took my turn.

I'm pretty sure you just won, but it was a nice game. Very well played and your definitely the stronger player. It was greatly played with how you broke my kingside. I actually have never seen that around our rating range. Most people will just trade down the center, and honestly I thought that's what you would play into.

A very good game indeed Zeo! I believe you would fair better if we played with standard time rules however. I'm pretty sure I only performed well because I had literal days to think through the moves. I'm down to try a 15-20 min match next :)

I always prefer to go for the mating pattern when I can. Trading down simplifies stuff for sure, but I tend to not be patient enough to get that happening lol.

Oh, and I don't recall if I've already asked you this or not, but do you use lichess?
Paired with Starlight
VPP
Flair & Profile

ZeoStar

Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 8 Hours Ago
8,089 posts
4.3 Years

A very good game indeed Zeo! I believe you would fair better if we played with standard time rules however. I'm pretty sure I only performed well because I had literal days to think through the moves. I'm down to try a 15-20 min match next :)

I always prefer to go for the mating pattern when I can. Trading down simplifies stuff for sure, but I tend to not be patient enough to get that happening lol.

Oh, and I don't recall if I've already asked you this or not, but do you use lichess?

I got lazy. I should have taken advantage of the fact that I had days to think, but I mostly procrastinated and made my turn at the final moments.

I'm side tracked by ELO goal. Still fixated on reaching 1,000. No lichess, but maybe when I hit that goal on chess.com.

Some days I play above 1,000. (hence why i've won against people in those ratings). Other times I play like a 400. I need to get a handle on consistency. I seem to play way better when I'm playing for fun. When I get near 1,000, it becomes solely about hitting that number and I fall back.

Roni

shen't
Philippines
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
16,802 posts
8.8 Years

Fixating on arbitrary numbers like a true gentleman~ For me, when I reach a certain ELO, I get too scared to play others knowing I'm gonna face stronger opponents and definitely get crushed. I want to keep my rating more than anything, even if I don't technically deserve it what with my attitude. I don't listen to my own advice it seems lol.

I don't think it's about consistency of skill, it's just frequency of playing and learning. Everyone will have a bunch of off days to start with, but they start diminishing the further you go down the path. Here's a fun idea, put opaque tape over the area where your ELO is shown, so you won't see it and thus it won't become a factor lol (although I thought chess.com would've had an option to hide your own rating at this point).
Paired with Starlight
VPP
Flair & Profile

ZeoStar

Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 8 Hours Ago
8,089 posts
4.3 Years

Fixating on arbitrary numbers like a true gentleman~ For me, when I reach a certain ELO, I get too scared to play others knowing I'm gonna face stronger opponents and definitely get crushed. I want to keep my rating more than anything, even if I don't technically deserve it what with my attitude. I don't listen to my own advice it seems lol.

I don't think it's about consistency of skill, it's just frequency of playing and learning. Everyone will have a bunch of off days to start with, but they start diminishing the further you go down the path. Here's a fun idea, put opaque tape over the area where your ELO is shown, so you won't see it and thus it won't become a factor lol (although I thought chess.com would've had an option to hide your own rating at this point).

You can set your rating range to face higher and lower players. I think mine is set around 300+ and -300. I can get a good variety. This is why I keep going against 1000+ rated players.

Of course, this means if I mess up against someone rated 600 or so, I'm plummeting tons of points. And for some reason, many players around 600 like trying gambits. I never figured out what to do against those.

I love when the other person tries scholars mate. When you memorize the lines, it's not threatening at all.