• 771 replies

Skywalker

pilot // freedom fighter 。・:*:・゚

they/them
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
36,155 posts
14.2 Years
I think it's hard lately because of The World but also just because we're all real adults now with many things to deal with; it means we all have less time for fun hobbies. ;w; Means everyone who already is in one or two active RPs is very unlikely to be able to join or make another and not burn out or fall behind unfortunately
i mean i'd love to attract new players but that wont happen without new rps v:

Aquacorde

the more we love, the more we learn // the more we love, the more we BURN 🔥

Age 28
she/her/he/him
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
11,495 posts
17.5 Years
i mean i'd love to attract new players but that wont happen without new rps v:
yeah that's part of what I'm sayin; making and sustaining an RP is a lot of work and many of us are already tied up in high-effort RPs! but that's also part of why I'm planning on more events and stuff too; extremely short/low-commitment things to get people into and used to how we play over here should be pretty helpful! and maybe those events can expand into longer games, too, who knows. it'll be fun to find out!

Fairy

she / they
in the flowers
Seen 54 Minutes Ago
Posted 54 Minutes Ago
13,435 posts
10.7 Years
Yeah massive credit to all of you who run RPs and play multiple characters and make storylines. I don’t think my mind can even comprehend that level of multitasking.

Still, I want to get into a proper RP one of these days and not just write character sheets, make one post, and fall off. That’s another new resolution for this year!

girlfriend ♥ colours
boyfriend ♥ ivysaur
tokyodrift / magic / icycatelf
sister ♥ caite-chan

Dragon

lover of milotics

Age 29
Male
Viridian City
Seen 39 Minutes Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
11,141 posts
8.4 Years
I think I've gotten better at SU making. [CLICK!]
Well, I think this is one of my more stylish ones anyway~

"Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess...
DRAGON SLAVE!"

Fairy

she / they
in the flowers
Seen 54 Minutes Ago
Posted 54 Minutes Ago
13,435 posts
10.7 Years
I think I've gotten better at SU making. [CLICK!]
Well, I think this is one of my more stylish ones anyway~
Hi hon!
Yeah that SU is tight af. So clean and classy looking. ٩(ˊᗜˋ )و

girlfriend ♥ colours
boyfriend ♥ ivysaur
sister ♥ caite-chan

Aquacorde

Age 28
she/her/he/him
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
11,495 posts
17.5 Years
Yeah massive credit to all of you who run RPs and play multiple characters and make storylines. I don’t think my mind can even comprehend that level of multitasking.

Still, I want to get into a proper RP one of these days and not just write character sheets, make one post, and fall off. That’s another new resolution for this year!
It comes together one thing at a time ofc! Practise and observation and getting into a rhythm and all that- holding everything in your head is just a matter of having built up to it all, right? Knowing your limits really helps; I hesitantly expand my workload once in a while but more often than not end up back where I started. :( I just have to accept that what I'm doing atm is exactly the amount I can keep up with while giving my best effort to all. ^^;

I hope some people find time or desire to GM so more people can play! I can make events and you can play in those to kinda, get used to things, but it's not the same as a full RP. :')

Roleplaying sounds like a lot of fun

Skywalker

they/them
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
36,155 posts
14.2 Years
Roleplaying sounds like a lot of fun

Fairy

she / they
in the flowers
Seen 54 Minutes Ago
Posted 54 Minutes Ago
13,435 posts
10.7 Years
Is there a tutorial out there about how to be a good GM? Like, how to do proper world building and making events for players and keeping people active? I’d love to see something like that because maybe just RPing isn’t for me, maybe I’d be better suited as a RPer and GM also?

Dunno, just like to keep options open!

girlfriend ♥ colours
boyfriend ♥ ivysaur
sister ♥ caite-chan

Aquacorde

Age 28
she/her/he/him
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
11,495 posts
17.5 Years
Is there a tutorial out there about how to be a good GM? Like, how to do proper world building and making events for players and keeping people active? I’d love to see something like that because maybe just RPing isn’t for me, maybe I’d be better suited as a RPer and GM also?

We mods talked a while ago about revamping like, resources and tutorials for the section but it's... honestly really hard to figure out how to do imo. We should definitely return to that discussion, though- just because it's hard doesn't mean it's not worth doing!

I think at the base of it, no matter what someone chooses to make or how they run their game, the ultimate key to keeping an RP going is constant communication and engagement. We're working together on something complex and fun, after all, so we really do have to communicate! And the more we talk, the more engaged we are- the better we know each other and the better we work together. :) I make a point to be very present, and offer help to anyone that needs it, and talk through difficult points so nobody gets stuck and gives up! Consistent weekly check-ins with OOC and IC components are only the start of it, really.

I spose to start, I think having a base world pretty well fleshed-out helps, which is why setting an RP in an established franchise is helpful. Knowing and establishing what you want to use from that franchise is also great, considering a lot of long-running ones (including Pokémon) have components that have variable interpretations and even just straight up contradict themselves lmao. There's a good amount of expectations that should be set for your players- activity levels, goals to work toward, the general vibe of the RP... setting expectations and rules that you can point to is something I like very much, so everyone knows and can be held to them. And I personally do a lot of resource-making for my RPs; I have quite a few documents that my players can just open up and have tons of information at their fingertips that they can quickly skim and search. It's hard to keep up with though, and I often make more work for myself than is actually necessary. -w-;; But! If it's even just there for me, it works out~

gosh I really could go on about it, but this is only one perspective and thought process and organizing all the ideas from nothing is a struggle ahaha

gimmepie

Age 26
Male
Australia
Seen 42 Minutes Ago
Posted 42 Minutes Ago
23,762 posts
9.7 Years

It's the last part that's tricky, even for those of us who are more experienced. That being said, Anna is right. The more people are talking about the RP and engaging OOC, the more they're going to be invested in making the IC happen. It's all about communication. If you ever want more specific help with worldbuilding and stuff, feel free to hit me up because the more story-related element are what I excel at.
RPWLA&MGaming JournalDaily

Megan

Explorer E-meow-press

Age 31
She/Her
Online now
Posted 8 Hours Ago
I used to participate in these Werewolf games on another forum. Except, somehow people managed to blow up the RP aspect of them, anyway. So, despite all the voting characters out of the game, that didn't stop people from making very detailed characters and filling pages and pages of posts with all kinds of exploration and character interactions. It was quite entertaining.
Unfortunately, I ended up having severe issues trying to interact with other player's characters.The amount of text that was required reading also got a little bit much. I also kinda felt compelled to write longer posts, as well. Writing long posts is hard. xD

I stopped at some point and haven't had the motivation to join in on an actual RP. Don't know if I have the stamina required to participate, anyway...

I've been listening to some DnD campaigns people posted on Youtube. It's actually really interesting stuff. Would be fun to try out, but idk... ^^"
DeviantArt | Moderator of Previous Generations, Forum Games and VPP
Isn't intelligence what gives you insights of your own thoughts at the expense of losing sight of what's in front of you?

gimmepie

Age 26
Male
Australia
Seen 42 Minutes Ago
Posted 42 Minutes Ago
23,762 posts
9.7 Years
Writing long posts is hard. xD
The good news about RPing these days is that while we tend to write long posts, we also are a lot more willing to take our time over a week, or even weeks (depending on the RP) to get those posts done. So it's not super draining. It's definitely not the same as trying to keep up with a werewolf/mafia game in-character doing posts like that.

I've been listening to some DnD campaigns people posted on Youtube. It's actually really interesting stuff. Would be fun to try out, but idk... ^^"
A lot of us here, myself included, are mad into D&D. You're welcome to join one of my games some time if you'd like. Feel free to hit me up.
RPWLA&MGaming JournalDaily

alisaie

they/them
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
13,597 posts
13.5 Years
RP here is..... Very daunting of a task for me as someone who likes simple, faster paced roleplay. Like dnd except I've never had the opportunity to actually play and be part of a campaign.

Maybe one day.

Aquacorde

Age 28
she/her/he/him
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
11,495 posts
17.5 Years
RP here is..... Very daunting of a task for me as someone who likes simple, faster paced roleplay. Like dnd except I've never had the opportunity to actually play and be part of a campaign.

Maybe one day.
That's definitely another thing that I've wanted to expand on- I think RP sections can and should be home to a lot of different RP styles! Integrating them is the hard part, because a) I don't know much about other ways of RPing and b) how to structure them to be applicable to using the forums at all. Back-and-forth style RPs are always welcome, of course, but I know people definitely prefer to do that on Discord these days. I'd love to talk to people about them using the OOC section to keep track of characters and documents for Discord-based RPs though, or using it as a home base for a D&D campaign. Stuff like that! I definitely think our RP areas are a bit stuck on one style, and while I love it and know it well enough to teach and guide, that's not all there is!

Fairy

she / they
in the flowers
Seen 54 Minutes Ago
Posted 54 Minutes Ago
13,435 posts
10.7 Years
Aw man, I miss playing D&D. I need to bring back my time traveling dual gun wielding Drow prostitute/bounty hunter named Kiwi Tequila.

girlfriend ♥ colours
boyfriend ♥ ivysaur
sister ♥ caite-chan

Dragon

lover of milotics

Age 29
Male
Viridian City
Seen 39 Minutes Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
11,141 posts
8.4 Years
Aw man, I miss playing D&D. I need to bring back my time traveling dual gun wielding Drow prostitute/bounty hunter named Kiwi Tequila.
Go on...?

"Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess...
DRAGON SLAVE!"

Sapphire Rose

Only thorns left on this rose.

Age 26
Female
Over the hills and far away.
Online now
Posted 12 Minutes Ago
3,299 posts
10.3 Years
I saw this as I wandered by and now I'm invested in their story
• Moderator of the RPT ꕥ Art Studio ꕥ Anime & Manga •

Skywalker

they/them
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
36,155 posts
14.2 Years
Honestly, the best way to learn GMing is to try (and fail) and try again :3

Aquacorde

Age 28
she/her/he/him
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
11,495 posts
17.5 Years
Always be learning, right? It's important to listen to feedback and take into account many perspectives; the GM is only one person (usually) and will never be able to predict and account for every single thing! Gotta do your best but be adaptable and open to change as well. We are all working together on a project after all and it should be fun for everyone!

Fairy

she / they
in the flowers
Seen 54 Minutes Ago
Posted 54 Minutes Ago
13,435 posts
10.7 Years
I saw this as I wandered by and now I'm invested in their story
Go on...?
Haha I’m not sure what else to expand on! She was never a well fleshed out character I just insisted on being able to dual wield guns so we worked in a backstory that involved magic lol. She was also wicked chaotic and wasn’t above stealing gold from her party or pawning off items for drinking and gambling money.

Imagine a character from Trigun in D&D’s high fantasy setting.

girlfriend ♥ colours
boyfriend ♥ ivysaur
sister ♥ caite-chan

Skywalker

they/them
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
36,155 posts
14.2 Years
kiwi tequila has got to the best seriously fitting non-serious name ever