• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The History behind Cyrus

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
PKs1U.png

Cyrus, the boss of the infamous Team Galactic. Hungry for power, and world/dimensional domination nearly achieved his dream of creating a new world with the assistance of the legendary lake trio, Mesprit, Uxie and Azelf, and the masters of time, space and anti-matter, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina respectively.

If we travel to the very root of this thirst for destruction and control, what do we see? Why did Cyrus develop into the man he did? What do you think caused him to adopt such a mindframe? What do you think caused him to chase his goal, his dream? What sources of motivation in his past and present (present, meaning, in the storyline), pushed him into make his dream a reality? Perhaps a rough upbringing? Or something much more dark and sinister?

Discuss! Be as elaborate as you wish! The more detailed the better! Feel free to post theories and provide evidence from the games and even the anime. (But primarily DPPt.)

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Doesn't DPPt have a house in Sunnyshore in which they refer to him preferring machines to people/Pokemon as a kid? I would imagine that means that whatever spurred him to create a cult group and try to create another world/etc would have arised from that then as a beginning. I think his grandpa was also in Platinum in some route who wished he had helped him earlier or something...

So I guess some family-related fued might have made him think emotions was teh bads. Not much else to go on from what I recall with that though, and idk about manga/anime.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Cyrus, Cyrus,Cyrus. By far, one of the most evil team commanders in the Pokemon series, with his thirst for knowledge, power and destruction. That was all he wanted as soon as your first met him and the last time you saw him. I don't believe at all, he was born with this personality. In my opinion I believe once, he was at least happy and never thought about harming anyone or anything for that matter.

But, something must have changed his attitude towards the world. Maybe he was bullied when he was younger, for being a little different in some way? Or there could of been a tragic event such as the death of a parent. Maybe he was an orphan who was treated badly? Whatever this mysterious event was, it changed Cyrus into what he was today. An awful person. This event must of caused so much fury in him, that he vowed to seek revenge and unleash his wrath on the Pokemon world.

This is what I believe at least :/. In theories...however I'm not sure of any of them. But I think he started Team Galactic, to seek revenge on a person who made his life miserable, or even he might of wanted to kill himself in his anger and sadness? Along with the whole Pokemon universe? Maybe he didn't want to die alone?

But Cyrus is such a mysterious man, there isn't much mention of his past in any part of the Pokemon series. Only one or two hints and they don't actually give that much help :p.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Ah, Cyrus... one of my favorite evil bosses in the franchise. An interesting fellow, no doubt. As for what twisted him into the fanatical cult leader that he is, I think we need to look into some traumatic event in his childhood. Perhaps his parents were abusive, and his grandfather laments not having stepped in to stop the abuse. I can see parental abuse and neglect causing him to become withdrawn, prefer machines and other inanimate objects, and ultimately affect his way of thinking. Perhaps his parents instructed their Pokemon to attack him when administering punishment, causing his distrust to expand into Pokemon as well. And maybe his parents also had violent, intense fights amongst each other, leading him to his goal of "eliminating strife" and emotion.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
You know, I had a theory on why Cyrus wanted all of this. He may be secretly the good guy after all, and you, the player, are the bad guy. He saw the evil nature of humans in general at a young age via parental abuse and such (hence why he abandons emotions), so he wanted to re-create the universe under his ruling, so there will be world peace (no fighting, no destruction, and no free will). Remember why Lex Luthor wanted to get rid of Superman, for knew the man of steel will be soon become the world's greatest threat. It's been a common thing for artificial intelligence (i.e. robots) and extraterristrial life (aliens) pity humans in movies, comics, and video game, because we are born violent. We kill anything that moves out of fear or for entertainment purposes (the coliseum), we waste our limited resources (water, oil, coal, etc), and we destroyed our environment with pollution and greenhouse gases. Thomas Hobbes has already explained how humans are a dangerous animal and someone is in need to to control them in order to save them from themselves, and Mr. Smith from The Matrix explains how humans are a virus to the world. That, I believe, is why Cyrus has done all of this.

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
I think he was lonely. There probably was a sign in the game that hinted this but I can't remember tight now. Lonely people become villains usually.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Could you explain the Crobat reason?
There is an interesting point in that. Crobat is one of the Pokemon that evolves only if it is happy enough, so one can argue at least he kept his Pokemon happy.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
There IS good in adult Cyrus.

Proof:

He has a Crobat

This further proves my theory that Cyrus is secretly the good guy and we, the player, are the bad guy. Silver's Golbat didn't fully evolved yet because he was still abusive until his heel face turn, which still gives evidence to the history behind Cyrus.

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
There is an interesting point in that. Crobat is one of the Pokemon that evolves only if it is happy enough, so one can argue at least he kept his Pokemon happy.
I can put up a couple of counter arguements to that. One, he could've stolen that Crobat. Two, he could've let another Team Galactic member (maybe a scientist member) train/evolve it for him.

If you are reading through TG grunts'/commanders' lines after you beat them, they say stuff like "oh, they'll take away my pokemon because I lost to you and I'll be the gruntiest of grunts" or something like that (grunt with not one pokemon). Likewise, one of the commanders or more than one say after losing to you, they'll get better pokemon to defeat you next time. I think there is a pokemon pool of TG, probably most are stolen and maybe trained I dunno, and they pick or are given the pokemon according to their ranks. Thus, I don't think Cyrus raised that Crobat or he is a good guy.

He is just pathetic and lonely and has developed wrong ideas about the world around him and what/how it should be. He is so wrong and hopeless, gamers feeling pity for him and that probably leads them to think that he is a good guy deep down.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I can put up a couple of counter arguements to that. One, he could've stolen that Crobat. Two, he could've let another Team Galactic member (maybe a scientist member) train/evolve it for him.

If you are reading through TG grunts'/commanders' lines after you beat them, they say stuff like "oh, they'll take away my pokemon because I lost to you and I'll be the gruntiest of grunts" or something like that (grunt with not one pokemon). Likewise, one of the commanders or more than one say after losing to you, they'll get better pokemon to defeat you next time. I think there is a pokemon pool of TG, probably most are stolen and maybe trained I dunno, and they pick or are given the pokemon according to their ranks. Thus, I don't think Cyrus raised that Crobat or he is a good guy.

He is just pathetic and lonely and has developed wrong ideas about the world around him and what/how it should be. He is so wrong and hopeless, gamers feeling pity for him and that probably leads them to think that he is a good guy deep down.

You do present quite a good point.

I agree. There's just as much of a chance - if actually more of - he stole that Crobat.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I agree. There's just as much of a chance - if actually more of - he stole that Crobat.

This is very possible because, quoting him, "Unlike you trainers, I don't consider Pokémon as friends. Unlike my fellow Team Galactic members, I don't treat them as tools. Instead, I make the power of Pokémon my own." So he doesn't really have any regard for his Pokémon, much less for his underlings. Or, he could've had Crobat before his transformation into an emotionless villain.

Cyrus is my favorite villain in the series (not counting N, I like N better but he's not a villain), because of how destructive he was and how far he went so that he could realize his plan. If there was a grade for "most evil" in the franchise, Cyrus would be at the highest level, IMO. The way he treated the Lake trio, no villain in the series had done such a cruel thing up to that point, and even beyond.

A number of things could've made him turn into the villain we knew. Infighting between his parents, who vented their frustrations at himself, could've made him retreat into reclusion, in the sole company of emotionless beings (machines). In a way, he had already created his own world as a child, where he was at the center, and he wanted to transpose his vision of the world to the rest of the universe when he became an adult and gained enough knowledge and power to do so.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Hmm that is a good point, I don't believe Cyrus originally owned the Crobat because he hasn't shown a hint of affection for his Pokemon, he only wants their power and that's it. They do mention in throughout D/P/Pt, hand over your Pokemon and things like that, along with defeated grunts complaining about how their Pokemon will be taken away from them so I also believe Cyrus possibly stole them from a grunt or a trainer he has defeated.

Cyrus is also one of my favourite villains personally, it's interesting how he doesn't want to take over the Pokemon universe or in this case Sinnoh, but instead destroy it completely and wipe out all trainers. I'm agreeing with Cerberus and saying how the way he treated the Lake Trio, other Pokemon was absolutely awful, one of the most notorious villains throughout the whole series for me.

And yeah! I think Cyrus's past has been mentioned once or twice, but my theory is he was either an orphan who was mistreated or teased by others and started seeking revenge on those who made him miserable, he had cruel parents, there must of been something to turn him this way, I don't believe anybody is born like this.

Back