• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate My Hail Stall Team

Years
OK well i cant say exactly what this teams tier is ( im new... ) but here it is

Abomasnow-Leftovers
Sassy-snow warning
252Hp,172Def,84SpD-Evs

-Leech Seed
-brick break
-Ice Shard
-Substitute

I use him as my lead just to set up some good healing and stall them using Leech Seed in combo with Sub. I use ice shard as a kind of revenge kill if hes all i have and i cant take anymore hits with any real hitters on me team.

Frostlass-Leftovers
Timid-Snow Cloak
252Spe,252SpA,4Hp-Evs

-Blizzard
-Thunder Wave
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power ( fighting )

Ive come to the fact that sub and spikes were no longer needed because they just took up turns and didnt help out to well,Sub was always taken out with one hit and spikes just dont hurt that bad even after 3 sets of them. The HP fighting idea was given to me by a few people on the Pokemon Online server for PC... if i was told wrong tell me what i should be using please

Walrein-Leftovers
Bold-Ice Body
220Hp,244Def,44SpD-Evs

-Earth Quake
-Substitute
-Blizzard
-Mud Slap

Now, with this guy ive come to know that Protect does not work as much as i need it to and thus for im not liking it much.The EQ and MudSlap tho ive started liking because i can do some good work from behind the sub and using Mud Slap to lower the Acc in hopes of changing into my Froslass makes me that much happier, but now i think that he might still need a little bit of help

Tentacrue-Poison Barb
Bold-Liquid Ooze
252Hp,240Def,14Spe

-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Surf
-Ice Beam

Now im loving this beefy TentaCruel and think he is right were i need him to be, but i just think i have way to much ice moves as it is and was trying to find a new move that is not Ice Beam

Glyscor-Leftovers
Impish-Sand Veil
252Hp,184Def,72Spe

-Toxic
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Protect

Im loving this glyscor just due to the fact he can take a hit or two if needed and can pass them out just as well. But the same thing is happening to me that was happening with walrien and the protect,i mean when it works im supper happy, but when it does not im usually dead or really close. a new move would be nice but not supper needed

Blissey-Leftovers
Bold-Natural Cure
252Hp,156Def,100SpD

-Heal Bell
-psychic
-Flamethrower
-Wish

With bliss i was happy with her till i found out she was using illeagal sets... ( aroma / wish ) so i chose the next best thing lol,Heal Bell,and now started using Psychic just for a little bit more damage to the thing ive had the most probs with that is not a fighter ( gengar ) any help would be appreciated

That is the team ive come to start using thanks to most of the people on this thread and i cant thank you enough for all the help you guys/girls have given me ( your help is still welcome lol )
Thank You

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hi there and welcome to the CBC! :D I've only got a few things to say and not the proper amount of time to say it. But I will start off by congratulating you for trying out a Hail team. Hail can be difficult to use, but can be equally as devastating when done correctly. I think you have a neat thing going on here. :3

Abomasnow-Big Root
Lonely-snow warning
252Atk,252spe,4hp-Evs

-Leech Seed
-brick break
-Wood Hammer
-Protect

Well, if you're going to be using Leech Seed, I feel obligated to suggest Substitute. While the two are slightly unconventional for Abomasnow (considering it's usefulness with a Choice Scarf) the Sub+Seed combo helps you take advantage of Amobasnow's natural resistances to Water, Grass, and Electric type attacks. However, if you're going to be focusing more on Abomasnow's resistances and subsequent defenses, I'm going to suggest a few changes to make it's survivability a little easier.

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Snow Warning
252 HP / 172 Defense / 84 Special Defense
Sassy [+Special Defense; -Speed]
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Blizzard / Ice Shard
- Focus Punch / Protect / Wood Hammer

First though, I have to mention that the Big Root is not really a choice item for competitive play because there's no guarantee that you'll be using Leech Seed every match (I mean, ideally you would be, but it's not always possible). By using Leftovers instead, you're promised the recovery after every turn, making the reliability of it more useful than the added recovery from the Big Root. It's also more helpful in compensating for the Substitutes. Next, while a Lonely nature would be good for an Abomasnow that is more offensively inclined, for you're needs I recommend a Sassy [+Special Defense; -Speed] nature to exploit Abomasnow's resistances. And finally, because of the adjustments to Abomasnow's traits, a different EV Spread has been placed to help again, with survivability. Anyway, Leech Seed and Substitute make up the core of the set and are pretty self explanatory. Next, either Blizzard or Ice Shard can be used. Both are useful STAB attacks, Blizzard with an obscene amount of power, Ice Shard with the priority, helping make up for the loss of Speed from the Sassy nature. This choice is up to you. Finally, the last move slot can be occupied by Wood Hammer, another powerful STAB attack, Protect, to help stall (which is the point of this particular move set), or Focus Punch, which helps Abomasnow deal with Tyranitar and gets a lot out of Substitute. Again, this choice is up to you.

I think you have excellent strategy going on with Leech Seed on Abomasnow, as it's more likely to induce switches, making Froslass and Tentacruel excellent additions on your team. Well done. :3

Frostlass-Leftovers
Jolly-Snow Cloak
252Spe,252Hp,4SpA-Evs

-ice beam
-Destiny Bond
-Substitute
-Spikes

From everything I know about Froslass, this seems like the standard set. I'd like to mention Thunder Wave over Destiny Bond, however. With Hail support and paralysis, Froslass is given unlimited opportunities to set up Spikes and use Ice Beam. As for the EVs, I recommend you use 4 Defense / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed to get the most out of those Ice Beams and Froslass's natural Speed. In the end, Froslass can't make great usage of 252 in HP. And lastly, use a Timid [+Speed; -Attack] nature over Jolly so you're not subtracting from Froslass' Special Attack.

Walrein-Leftovers
Relaxed-Ice Body
252SpD,252SpA,4Hp-Evs

-Surf
-Substitute
-Blizzard
-Roar

Walrein is truly infuriating when used correctly. And it seems like this is also a pretty strong set as well. I do recommend that you replace Surf with Protect to complete that legendary Stallrein set though. Also, Walrein likes having a Bold [+Defense; -Attack] nature and 220 HP / 244 Defense / 46 Special Defense.

Tentacrue-Poison Barb
Jolly-Liquid Ooze
252Spe,252Spa,4Spd

-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Hydro Pump
-Sludge Bomb

There are a few problems with Tentacruel I'd like to address. Overall, the set is has one standard idea that isn't far from the usual fare, but I think we can expand upon it a little.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Liquid Ooze
252 HP / 240 Defense / 16 Speed
Bold [+Defense; -Attack]
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect / Ice Beam

As you can see, this set isn't far from the set you offered us. It has the same usage of Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, but instead of using Hydro Pump, I've suggest Scald for the added bonus of a 30% chance of Burning the opponent to counter Tentacruel's lacking Defense. Alternatively, Surf can be used a well. Finally, Protect is probably the preferred choice to help scout out moves and stall for Leftovers recovery. Ice Beam can be used if your team has problems with Dragon or Grass type Pokemon, but the damage dealt is not significant, or in most cases, worth it. Anyway, the EVs are spread between HP and Defense to capitalize on Tentacruel's innate abilities. 16 EVs are invested in Speed so Tentacruel can outrun Adamant Breloom, and neutral nature Politoed and Metagross.

I'm sorry, I have to run for a bit, but I will be back to finish the rate unless another rater gets to it first. :P

Good luck and well done! :D

Years
From everything I know about Froslass, this seems like the standard set. I'd like to mention Thunder Wave over Destiny Bond, however.

the only reason i never used the Twave was i had no idea that paralyze slows the other person =P . But as far as Dbond goes, i have used it and i just felt like it was just taking up space since i would use it 1 out of every 5 battles. But thanks for all the other info and ill try it out and see what comes out =)

ill be looking forward to the rest of the ratings

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
Years
Froslass wants a Timid Nature so as not to hinder Ice Beam. If you're running Destiny Bond, go for a Focus Sash over Leftovers, as Froslass is frail. Also, change the EVs to what Alexial suggested and forgo Substitute for Shadow Ball or even Hidden Power [Electric].

Lead Infernape seems a strange choice on a hail team, especially since Focus Sash gets destroyed by Hail, so it won't be of any use anyway. Go for this:

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
Jolly Nature [+Speed, -Special Attack]/Adamant Nature [+Attack, -Special Attack]
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
~Stealth Rock
~Ice Shard
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide/Endeavor

Years
i would not use my frostlass that way jsut because of the fact i use her as a good stall/sweep so getting rid of my sub is not a choice i think id like to take,and Dbond i also said why i didnt like to use it in my last post.

Now about the mamoswine... i think ill give him a try but idk if i will like the ice moves again lol ( i have way to much of it ) but thanks

Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2016
I'm not very experienced in battling, but I was wondering what you would think of this set.

Frosslass@Left Overs
Timid/Snow Cloak
4 Def/252 Sp.A/252 Spe (@Alexial)
-Ice Beam
-Double Team
-Thunder Wave
-Spikes

I've just gotten a Timid Snorunt which I will implement this moveset on and I think it will do very well. Personally, I love Double Team (My Shuckle took out 3 Pokemon with a full Double Team/Toxic stall) and the fact that Froslass gets 20%(?) evasion from Snow Cloak, it would make an amazing combo.

Such as throw up a Double Team>Thunder Wave>Double Team, would create a very long stall, then you can either continue with the Double Team or STAB Ice Beam their team to death.

Years
i would love a double team on it but most rules that i read dont like that nor do they like:minamize,bright powder,and lax incense... if i got wrong someone should soooo tell me

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Yes, Double Team and hax items like BrightPowder are banned. So you're safe with your Froslass set, except that you should change the nature to Timid. (why is it Jolly?)

If you didn't like Mamoswine, you can go back to Infernape, but change the moveset this time to:
-Overheat/Fire Blast
-Close Combat
-U-turn/Grass Knot
-Stone Edge/Mach Punch
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Years
the reason i had jolly is because i had no nature mods lol and im waaay to lazy to grind pokes =P i will try that infernape but what move can i trade in for SR? that was kinda the reason i put him on there...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If Stealth Rock is the sole reason you put Infernape on the team, then it's out of place because of Infernape's poor defenses and the fact that if it runs Focus Sash in hail, then the hail will KO Infernape after the item is burned up or be rendered useless after the first turn Infernape is in hail. Swampert can set up SR better due to its good defenses and typing (it resists Fire and Rock, 2 types that Ice Pokemon are weak to):
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Blizzard
-Scald/Roar/Superpower
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Years
I totally agree with the swampert thing man Ty.

( now only if i can find a place to tell me how to split the evs like that and not just have a spread of 252/252/4... )

and just a fast thing... can swampert be traded in for a Whiscash/Quagshire? im not a HUGE fan of mudkips lol and they are all the same type

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
...don't use Swampert, really. It's not very good at all especially in this metagame. People need to stop using it so it drops down to UU. :<

Tons and tons and tons of things get Stealth Rock, if that's all you were using it for. Personally, especially since you're using a stallish team, I'd use SR on something that will a) force switches or b) be able to withstand a lot of hits and recover from them easily. My personal preference? You need to give physically defensive Mew a look. Not only does this give you another Fighting resist (all-important for hail teams!) but it gives you a way to break other stall and spread status quickly and easily.

151.png

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
- Taunt
- Will-o-Wisp
- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock / Psychic

Standard defensive Mew runs Psychic primarily, but SR can work there too. Taunt + W-o-W is the key here, meaning that almost all common stall members (ie: Blissey, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, etc) are outsped thanks to Mew's base 100 Speed and Taunted to prevent recovery and burned. It's really a brilliant set and I wish I had been playing with it for longer than I have.

...but if you don't have access to Mew, then you'll have to look for another SR user. There are tons and tons of them, but you'll have to find something else (preferably something that resists Fire/Fighting!). There's a list of everything that can get it in B/W here, although a lot of Pokemon got it through the TM in Gen IV. edit: actually you should use this link because almost everything cool that gets it gets it through TM. :<

Last edited:
Years
i cant get anything 5th gen. i do not own those games... so i just noticed i cant get scald on Tcruel lol, and is mew OU? or was he put up to ubers? if hes ou then ill be more than happy to add him to my team since hes FKING AMAZING and can be used as almost anything i will ever need ( as long as i build him that way )

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
i cant get anything 5th gen. i do not own those games... so i just noticed i cant get scald on Tcruel lol, and is mew OU? or was he put up to ubers? if hes ou then ill be more than happy to add him to my team since hes FKING AMAZING and can be used as almost anything i will ever need ( as long as i build him that way )

Unfortunately, Mew is a UU Pokemon now. But it's still viable in OU. Also, if you're not using Pokemon Online for this team, then it's hard to get; it can only be obtained from Nintendo events or from My Pokemon Ranch.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
i have a mew im not worried about that aspect... i just wanted to know if i can use him in OU ( witch i think my team is )
Yup! It is. Tentacruel is OU, which means the rest of your team is OU too. Mew is actually UU like Platdude said, so it definitely can go on your team as well.

Years
Woot! Thank you all soooo much ill finish my team right now and get to battling... w8 i need FC's to do that... anyone care to spare one?

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Hey there Starkatk, it's nice to meet you, and I hope you enjoy the CBC!

Anyways, onto your team, there's a few things that need to be fixed.

Abomasnow-Leftovers
Adamant-snow warning
252Atk,252spe,4hp-Evs

-Substitute
-Focus Punch

-Wood Hammer
-Protect
This set allows you to take on Tyranitar's easier. Substitute protects you from status and other nasty stuff and Focus Punch is a OHKO on Tyranitar. Alternatively, you can opt for a scarf set to revenge kill.
Froslass-Leftovers
Timid-Snow Cloak
252Spe, 252 spA, 4 HP

-Blizzard
-Destiny Bond/Thunder Wave
-Substitute
-Spikes
This set abuses snow cloak (which is rigged on po lmao) and allows you to easily get three layers of spikes off. Pick your poison with destiny bond or thunder wave. Twave allows you to abuse snow cloak even more, while destiny bond lets you take out a threatening pokemon. Max special attack is better because Froslass doesn't have the bulk to take a hit, regardless.
Walrein-Leftovers
Relaxed-Ice Body
252SpD,4 spA,252Hp-Evs

-Toxic
-Substitute
-Blizzard
-Protect

Maximizes your bulk and allows you to toxic stall. Check smogon for standard EV spread, I forget at the moment.
Tentacrue-Leftovers
Bold-Liquid Ooze
Check smogon for the EV spread

-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Scald
-Hex/Ice Beam

Infernape-Focus Sash
Jolly-Blaze
252Atk,4Hp,252Spe

-Fake Out
-Close Combat
-U-Turn
-Stealth Rock

Blissey-Leftovers
Bold-Natural Cure
252Hp,252Def,4SpD

-Aromatherapy
-Soft-boiled
-Flamethrower
-Wish

Massive healing is just amazing =P and having the aroma is pretty sweet to

Well,Thats my team that i use to battle a few friends and i kinda like it but im almost certain it needs alot of help so, Help if you can.
Thank You[/QUOTE]

Years
i can understand why you would run aboma with that setup but as i said in the first few posts that i use him as a leech seed stall...and as for Frostlass we also covered a very nice set that ive used and now like alot. But i don't see what you did for the rest of your posts... ( there the same as my first ones )

and we also got my stallrien the way i enjoy using it

i thank for the input but, it didn't really help me due to other people giving some better advise

Back