• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves Pokemon can learn,but shouldn't

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Chansey can learn Minimize. How does that work?!
Minimize_II.png

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
Machamp shouldn't be able to learn Flamethrower. Not only does it make no sense for Machamp to be able to breathe fire, it is one the worst moves you could teach to a Machamp as its Special Attack stat is generally much lower than its Physical Attack stat. Teach it Fire Punch instead.

Also, Mew shouldn't be able to learn Captivate as Mew is genderless and therefore Captivate will always fail when Mew uses it (although I see this has already been brought up).

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I have no idea how Rattatas are capable of learning Thunderbolt or Ice Beam. If rats in real life were able to do that, I would be scared for everyone's lives. :D

Years
I have no idea how Rattatas are capable of learning Thunderbolt or Ice Beam. If rats in real life were able to do that, I would be scared for everyone's lives. :D

In fact, the fact that Normal-types learn all these weird TM moves is something you'd want to question a lot. Especially ones that are based on typical animals.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
Mew's whole thing is that it gets all TMs and HMs,so it makes sense for it to be able to learn captivate. just don't use that TM on it.

bluhacks263

"My first hack I'm making, a remake of Yellow on F
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jun 19, 2021
Thyplosion can learn Psychic from a TM. :/
How does that make sense?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
Thyplosion can learn Psychic from a TM. :/
How does that make sense?
Typhlosion can't learn psychic. i checked bulbapedia. you might have bred a male nuzleaf knwing extrasensory with a female cyndaquil,quilava,or typhlosion,and then kept the extrasensory when your hatched cyndaquil became quilava and then typhlosion.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I'm going to break the topic a bit, but logically, Smeargle in general.

Yeah yeah, it's all explained with "Sketch", but how would a Smeargle actually manage to use something like Needle punch or Gunk Shot, or Gastro Acid?

Will its arm magically sprout thorns or always keep a trashcan nearby? Or imagine a Smeargle chucking its entire stomach.

"Sketch" doesn't logically explain how a Smeargle would physically be able to do these moves. Makes me wish it was actually in the anime, to play around with this comical idea.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Because Smeargle is a great pokemon. Logic is inapplicable in a series where Magcargo is hotter than the sun.

Smeargle has appeared and actually uses Sketch recently. In one of the recent SM episodes, Ilima's Smeargle appears in a ping pong tournament and sketches Mienshao's fighting type attacks and physically uses them himself, like using his leg for high jump kick. They don't specify whether Smeargle learned them permanently or not. If not, then anime Sketch is just another Mimic.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Smeargle being able to use Fly via Sketch.

If I recall, there was a flying Smeargle in one of the Pikachu movie shorts. It was swinging its tail around like a propeller.

Now certain Pok?mon that use Fly via Mimic make little sense, especially the heavier flightless ones like Snorlax and Onix... and Groudon. O_O

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Mr. Mime can learn Infestation. Just...how? What am I supposed to be picturing here? (I first found this out while looking through my TMs in the game, and I was so amused that I actually taught it to my Mr. Mime. Haha)

Now certain Pok?mon that use Fly via Mimic make little sense, especially the heavier flightless ones like Snorlax and Onix... and Groudon. O_O

That one makes perfect sense once you've seen Snorlax's Z-Move. :disbelief: :giggle:

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
"But how does Wooper learn Ice Punch?" is one of my favorite injokes <3

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
wooper needs a good physical ice move to use on those grass-types because it's weak to grass moves,so that's why it gets ice punch.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Y'all get kudos for working on this thread which I didn't realize how much sense does it make until I actually saw it live. It's a nice counterpart to the usual "moves that Pokémon can't learn but should" that are more based around "I want muh competitive" whereas this thread goes more into the realm of "This Pokémon doesn't have a butt!!!" which is also admittedly funnier.

On the thread's general note, I'm looking at a Klefki and I'm kind of questioning how it can use physical moves like Tackle. Last time a keyring hit me was last week when a colleague tossed one at me from the other end of the office for me to open a cabinet and it was like dude, I just grab this with my hand, baseball style.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Primeape and Iron Tail. They made a joke about it in one of the pokepark games iirc.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
aerial ace is based on the turning swallow cut. that's why diglett and dugtrio learn it. and rapidash should be able to bounce. and for the tack thing,idk.

Back