• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How likely are you to tell others that you're a Pokemon fan IRL?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I have Eeveeolutons on my purse, Bulbasaur, too. A moltres on my lunchbox & Pikachu on my tote bag.

I want everyone i pass by irl to know my passion for Pokemon

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
Dont know why I have to hide it. I don't run around with a bullhorn yelling it out, but if I had access to good quality t-shirts that ship to my doorstep, I would buy pokemon apparel and stuff. I alredy have a shirt form comic con, so yeah. I'm not ashamed about it, and I;m pretty vocal abt my interest in pkmn, but only if anyone asks.

Years
Somewhat. My keys are attach to Bulbasaur Family Themed key chains and I do use a gen 5 pencil case. Sometimes I play Pokemon games in public if I'm waiting for something. However, I don't bring it up to people unless they are talking about something Pokemon related and they aren't being hostile about it.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I'm not ashamed at all. In fact, I actually wore Pok?mon and other Nintendo-themed shirts quite a lot in college. I'm pretty withdrawn and have a lot of trouble starting conversations, so the shirts helped me make friends with fellow fans.

Last edited:

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
I don't know... it kind-of feels something personal, I don't think I'd open up,
unless someone else takes the initiative...
mentioning it, I'm not exactly one who can strike conversation...
due to a few past experiences I barely make use of words and
thus have no clue how to relate with other people...
I do, try to bear a playful attitude from time to time, and I'm not
sure if that's what I wish to be, a shadow of my former self (my parents claim I was a joyful infant before school)
or just a mask I use since I really don't know how to behave... or
maybe I just open up once somewhat familiar with the context...

Ah yes, 'sis has a mew plush hanging from her car's internal mirror
and I once saw her with a charmander plush hanging from her bag.

Years
Back in high school and stuff I was a little more reserved about it, since liking Pokemon wasn't a popular thing back then. I slowly stopped caring about that as years went on though, and while I'm not going to go out of my way to initiate conversations about Pokemon, I've got a couple of Pokemon shirts that I like to wear (I've got on my Hawlucha one right now), and I even went to work dressed as a Team Rocket Grunt last Halloween, so I definitely don't mind if people know I'm a fan.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
I'm open about my love for Pokemon, but it's not exactly an icebreaker for new acquaintances or anything haha.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 27, 2018
I do not hide this. If asked, I will answer with pride, and why not. Everyone likes something different. And if something is said to me about this, then I don't care, because it makes me happier. By the way, I want to share with you an excellent site https://paperleaf.ca/history/ , it will be very important for those who have problems with the history. They can help not only with history, but also with many others.

Last edited:
Years
I will tell people and hold no reservations, I don't think it's something people judge on anymore. I was recently at the Pokemon Centre in Osaka, made public posts about it and people who are not fans of the franchise still replied in good spirit.

Back when I was a teenager I wouldn't necessarily be open about it but now I think it's transcended its 'for little kids' status. It's like Harry Potter or [insert popular sport here]; its cultural significance is recognised and respected by most people even if they don't share the interest.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
For little kids? Oh man. Thats just TOO funny. Tons of little kids can't even read for crying out load! At least, back in those days, they couldn't. And pokemon requires BASIC READING SKILLS. Humanity doesn't even make sense, thats how stupid they can act....

I knew a 7 year old back in 2004 that didn't know how to read or write yet. Would YOU tell her she's the 'appropriate' age for pokemon video games? I think not.

Last edited:
Years
For me, while I'm not the type to wear Pokemon shirts or anything, I have no issues telling people that I'm a fan if they ask. :o

Previously I responded to this thread with this reply but then I realized recently that I'm a lot more of a closeted Pokemon fan than I realize. o_o

Idk maybe it's just because I fear people would look at me funny or something if I'm browsing around on my laptop on campus looking at Pokemon stuff.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
For little kids? Oh man. Thats just TOO funny. Tons of little kids can't even read for crying out load! At least, back in those days, they couldn't. And pokemon requires BASIC READING SKILLS. Humanity doesn't even make sense, thats how stupid they can act....

I knew a 7 year old back in 2004 that didn't know how to read or write yet. Would YOU tell her she's the 'appropriate' age for pokemon video games? I think not.

That child sounds like a slow learner to me. I've never met anyone over the age of 6 who couldn't read. That includes peers from the same age.

I don't know where you get that Pokemon isn't AIMED at kids, little or not. Yes, adults like it a lot too, but it is primarily a franchise for young children.

Years
I usually keep it quiet but if discussions come up among people I know, I'd probably bring it up. Just....not sure if I'd be open about how much I know about and love it lol, since that might seem a little nerdy. Once we've grown closer as friends, sure! (is shy)

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Years
When people ask what video games I'm into, I generally skip Pokémon. Not because I'm ashamed of it, but because I'm afraid of the reaction. The few times I've had Pokémon apparel on people have called me a loser. I can't wait until I'm in college and can share my interests with little worry of being judged.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
In Secondary/High School, I use to keep it a secret, just to avoid pointless bullying, but only talk about it with my friends who loved it as much as I did.

Now, I'm pretty open about it because welp. It's my choice and why would I hide admiration towards something I love? I don't feel bad about doing it either because there's more and more people around me that like it too, so it's great.

Last edited:

KingRazor

Pokemon Master Since 1999
Years
I've never really cared too much about what other people think of me, and this is even more true the older I get. I'm pretty open about the fact I like Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
As you can tell from my name I wouldn't really tell people in real life I am a pokemon fan but I suppose if the topic came up I would be more open

Back