• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2018
Is it possible to add multiple sprite frames to a pokemon? Like have one Pokemon have multiple formes like Castform?
I dont seem to be able to add Sprite Frames despite the counter being in the Sprite editor.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I attempted to add multiple character sprites to use as mugshots, and am having difficulties doing so.
I compressed the needed images to 64x64, and used indexed them to 16 colors, making sure the first color won't actually be used since transparency isn't needed here.

I started by replacing Bulbasaur using the 256x64 insertion method, and renamed it SaraSkit1. This went smoothly and gave no issues. Then Ivysaur was next, renaming it SaraSkit2 and inserting another spriteset. Upon opening the offset window, but before even letting me choose one, an error pops up and I can forced into the ini recovery process. Upon reset, the program opens an error log, and while changing the name of Ivysaur, it did not successfully change the sprite. The Pokedex entry was even corrupted. I attempted this multiple times with multiple backups, each time with the same result. I don't know what's wrong, the sprites seem to have been indexed properly so I don't know why it's giving me trouble. I took screenshots of the whole process, and included them in this gallery: https://imgur.com/a/XpJwg

I have reattempted with multiple Emerald roms with different sprites. The first insertion always goes well, but from then on it never works, with the same errors. What is causing this to happen?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 9, 2022
Hi all, I get the following error when trying to open an unmodded LeafGreen ROM on Linux Mint:

ERROR:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/media/Storage/Secret-Tool/build/mainUbuntu/out00-PYZ.pyz/wx._core", line 14665, in <lambda>
File "<string>", line 438, in reload_all_tabs
File "<string>", line 454, in __init__
File "<string>", line 540, in __init__
File "<string>", line 723, in __init__
File "<string>", line 784, in __init__
File "<string>", line 959, in generate_ui
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

The program then tries to recover from the error, but the error just comes up again in an infinite loop every time I try to recover it. Does anyone know what's going on, and/or how I can get around this?

PS: also Help->contact doesn't work. I tried that first, but it said the message didn't send and didn't give any reason for the failure.

Jakob99

Worlds greatest trainer.
Years
Hi all, I get the following error when trying to open an unmodded LeafGreen ROM on Linux Mint:

ERROR:

File "/media/Storage/Secret-Tool/build/mainUbuntu/out00-PYZ.pyz/wx._core", line 14665, in <lambda>
File "<string>", line 454, in __init__
File "<string>", line 540, in __init__
File "<string>", line 723, in __init__
File "<string>", line 784, in __init__
File "<string>", line 959, in generate_ui
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

The program then tries to recover from the error, but the error just comes up again in an infinite loop every time I try to recover it. Does anyone know what's going on, and/or how I can get around this?

PS: also Help->contact doesn't work. I tried that first, but it said the message didn't send and didn't give any reason for the failure.

I have the same issue as well, but with a Fire Red rom and it's on Windows 10. Recovering the ini's doesn't work either. I should note that Pokémon Emerald works fine. Anyone have a fix for this?

Last edited:

Jakob99

Worlds greatest trainer.
Years
Hello, great job! Does this work for emerald by any chance??

Yes it does. Firered is broken right now (unless it works for you), but am gonna try the previous version to see if that works. And the Firered issue is not a windows 10 issue as I tried it on a windows xp virtual machine and the program threw the same error.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Thanks! I'm brand new to this, how do I add new pkmn to an emerald hack? I've messed around with it and tried changing values in the .ini but I got an error.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Actually I downloaded the zip file from dizzy eggg on github, and changed the new pokes line and dex pokes line. Afterwards I'm a bit lost. I tried typing the line in step 5 in python and on windows cmd just in case (just to make sure lol) and received invalid syntax in each. Any clue what I did wrong?

Edit: It says script is unidentified. Unfortunately I don't know python, I only know some c++ :/ help is appreciated!

Last edited:

Jakob99

Worlds greatest trainer.
Years
Thanks! I'm brand new to this, how do I add new pkmn to an emerald hack? I've messed around with it and tried changing values in the .ini but I got an error.

No problem! To add new Pokémon, you have to replace an existing Pokémon right now. Adding in new Pokémon space is not supported in Emerald right now, only on BPRE Firered, but that rom is broken with this tool now (at least for me). Using an older version doesn't work either, and opening it in YAPE throws an error as well, and the rom was freshely downloaded. Using the rom from the physical cart is a fail as well. I do get an error message that pops up when I first start my computer saying there is an issue with the Microsoft .NET framework (it pops up in the same dialog box that the errors in Pokémon tools made in the .NET framework pop up in (as in the one that explains about envoking Just In Time Debugging to handle the error rather than this dialog box)), so I wonder if that might be the issue here (but I don't think this tool has any .net framework in it, just pure python) mikeg0305, could I get you to test a Firered rom for me please and see if it works on your end by chance? When you search for the rom, download it from both Emuparadise and Loveroms first, as both of their fire red roms throw the error. If those error, then try another download site and see if that works.

EDIT: Here's my error message.
New%20Text%20Document%20(2).png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Ahh so i have to do lccoolj's method. Man i got lost on step two lol. And sure jakob, I'll try it out for sure. On quite the drive right now, but once I get settled I'll let you know the results.

Jakob99

Worlds greatest trainer.
Years
Ahh so i have to do lccoolj's method. Man i got lost on step two lol. And sure jakob, I'll try it out for sure. On quite the drive right now, but once I get settled I'll let you know the results.

I guess so. And sending a message through the contact button is broken. Hopefully someone has a fix for this. Thank you soo much. Drive safely. I just tried it on my desktop and got the same error as my laptop when trying to open the rom, and this one was downloaded from rommania, and not loveroms and emuparadise, leading me to believe it's either the rom's issue or the programs issue. Your help is still needed, incase it works for you.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2018
The problem i have is that i use the spanish version of pokemon emerald and it doesn't work, the error is list index out of range, but i tried the English version and it works well.
The problem comes here, for me is better in Spanish and I have complete all the story in the Spanish version.
Other problem is that I am very tenacious XD and i want to play the game in Spanish

Anyone knows how to solve this index issue?

Sorry for my English, but i am Spanish XD and thanks

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
The problem i have is that i use the spanish version of pokemon emerald and it doesn't work, the error is list index out of range, but i tried the English version and it works well.
The problem comes here, for me is better in Spanish and I have complete all the story in the Spanish version.
Other problem is that I am very tenacious XD and i want to play the game in Spanish

Anyone knows how to solve this index issue?

Sorry for my English, but i am Spanish XD and thanks
The pokeroms.ini file doesn't have any information about the Spanish ROMs, so you're gonna have to provide said information by yourself, following the presentation pattern that the file already shows.
The offset with the pokémon data table, the offset with the items table, the offset with the pokémon sprites table, et cetera.

Last edited:
Years
Apologies for reviving this old thread, but it won't open due to "Can't open file 'Resources/Icon.png' (error 2: No such file or directory); Failed to load image from file "Resources/Icon.png". Is there any solution?

Last edited:
Years
Please help me. I don't even know how to set it up. The PDF has been deleted, and I can't get to the "OPEN ROM" page it shows on the screenshot. Everything seems readable, but no openable programs from what i see.

pikavolt321

C# and Python Programmer
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 14, 2020
I attempted to use this tool to edit a Pokemon Fire Red ROM but then it gives the following error (I couldn't figure out how to attach an image).

File "E:\Secret-Tool\build\mainWIN\out00-PYZ.pyz\wx_core", line 16767, in <lambda>
File "<string>", line 454 in __init__
File "<string>", line 540 in __init__
File "<string>", line 724 in __init__
File "<string>", line 1361 in __init__
File "<string>", line 1467 in generate_ui
File "<string>", line 1682 in load_everything
File "<string>", line 1730 in get_move_data
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid arguement

Back