• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
The main difference between the games are the pokemon you can get. If ya gotta catch them all, then go for both. If you just want to play the game, flip a coin.
Edit: At least between black and white. There are quite a few games, and are not all the same.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Hi im new to Pokemon and im a bit confused, i have been playing Pokemon Pearl and i like it i want to buy more pokemon games but i heard alot of them are the same ? like Pokemon Black and White ect are they exactly the same is it worth buying both of them ? thanks for any reply's :)

They have a few Pokémon exclusive only to them. For example, Black has Shroomish, Houndour, Cottonee, while White doesn't. Instead, though, it has Misdreavus, Petilil, and Rufflet. They also have exclusive locations; Black's got access to Black City, and for Pokémon White, it's White Forest. Hope this help! :]

Years
  • Age 55
  • Seen Mar 1, 2014
Ok thanks for the help and is the a bigger difference between Black 1 and 2 ? shall i just buy black 2 ?

Shhmew

Years
Ok thanks for the help and is the a bigger difference between Black 1 and 2 ? shall i just buy black 2 ?
Black 2 and White 2 are sequels to Black and White, so they are very different but still take place in sort of the same area, with varying towns to visit. Black 2 and White 2 have more to do and a lot more pokemon to catch and use on your team before the Elite Four, so if you're only looking to buy one or the other, I'd definitely suggest Black 2 or White 2. But if you want to follow the story, then I'd suggest getting either Black or White to play first, then either Black 2 or White 2.

Trainer VyNk

Cursed Hemophillic.
Years

I prefer... buy Pokemon X or Y

Because they both are latest with Mega-Evolutions of Charizard, Blastoise, alakazam and Mega-tyranitar..

this goes like, you could get a Mega-CharizardX in Pokemon X version, in other hand you could get a Mega-CharizardY in pokemon Y version... Try to buy both and I bet you'll like 'em both..

Years
I know it is possible to build a battle simulator for pokemon.
Is it possible to download the source files of pokemonshowdown, alter them, and host games using hamachi (I don't have money for a server.)

Ok So I downloaded the Source file of PokemonShowdown. So the next step is I need to create a directory of images?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You might be better off asking in the Technology forum...this thread is for help with the games themselves, not downloading PS files or anything of that sort.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 23, 2014
hey all !, I just introduced myself in the welcome thread fourm and I wanted to ask something if possible. Which game do you guys recommend for me to start playing? like which gen if there's a specific one, or would you recommend me playing with a Rom hack. I am prob gonna have to use emulators due to the lack of Pokemon games in Egypt :(

TL;DR, which games do you recommend me playing first as a complete Pokemon nub? or do you even recommend me playing a rom hack first? if yes which?

Years
Nobody is gonna agree with me, but... xD

To avoid problems searching for emulators, stick to the Gen I, II and III. Try to play as many games as possible! It would be fun if you could work up your progress by advancing through the generations, starting on the first one.

However, not everybody has time and patient for that, so you could start on the Gen II, because the first one doesn't have much freedom and options, and it's only "amazing" because people have nostalgia. Also, there are remakes already, so you don't need to play every single game. Try the Crystal version first, it's better than Gold/Silver and it's basicly the same. (If you want to play Gen I, try Yellow, since it has all the starters and Pikachu).

Then go to Gen III. Pick Ruby or Sapphire, to understand the new mechanics (like Natures) then Firered of Leafgreen. And then try Emerald! One of the best versions, in my opinion :3

I wouldn't recommend hack roms before the originals because not all of them are complete like an original game. Nintendo games follow a classic way of progress, everything is simple and in the right place, and there aren't gamebreaking bugs/glitches. Hacks, on the other hand, might have these problems, thus you shouldn't avoid them for now.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 23, 2014
Well Twitch plays Pokemon and then reading up a bit on how much goes into leveling a single Pokemon. Just gave me a deep desire to play the games. I am currently playing yellow and frustrated with my Nidoran -.-

Years
Is it male or female? Are you going to use him/her to defeat Brock? In Mt. Moon you can get a Moon Stone and have a Nidoking/Nidoqueen as soon you reach lvl 16! :3

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 23, 2014
Getting introduced to pokemon gaming

What do you guys recommend for a complete noob to get introduced into the Pokemon gaming community? I want to explore everything possible that can be done in Pokemon.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
The latest games, X&Y, are great jumping in points. There are lots of new features that make raising your pokémon much easier and online features are very much streamlined ot be very user-friendly.

That's also not to mention that the regional pokédex is massive, and you're sure to find at least six pokémon that tickle your fancy before beating the game. XD

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I recommend waiting until much after level 16 to evolved them though. Nidorina/Nidorino learn a lot of moves that Nidoking/Nidoqueen don't such as Horn Drill (a One-hit KO move) and Fury Swipes. I'd wait to evolve them at like level 40-50 if you want them to have those moves.

I'd recommend X and Y like Timbjerr said. There's a huge Pokedex as he said and features a ton of Pokemon from every generation so you can get a big variety for a team and be able to learn about both old and new Pokemon. Plus all the new features that make it easier to play the game and raise Pokemon quicker. Along with that there's a ton of tools that can help you with how to play the game and most of the basics on Pokemon. And as Timjerr also mentioned, the online stuff is more streamline and more accessible. Things like Wonder Trade and the Player Search System allows for a lot more interactions with people online and wirelessly via inferred.

I also recommend Black and White too. While they doesn't have as many online features as X and Y, they still has a good amount. But also , the story in the games are excellent too. Plus, you can only catch and see Unova Pokemon during the main story. Meaning until you defeat the Elite Four for the first time (You'll get why I say "first time" when you go through the main story.) , you have to use new Pokemon, making the games feel like the originals and making you end up liking the new Pokemon more and testing them out.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 23, 2014
Someone convince me to get a ds for Pokemon....

Biggest thing demotivating me is having no one as a friend who plays pokemon who would help me (trade evolve) my own pokemon :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
DS Pokémon games are outdated, so to speak. You could still play just for fun, but trying to complete your Pokédex in them and whatnot would be extremely tough, since all online services pre-gen six are getting cancelled. :p If I were in your shoes, I would rather buy myself a set of 3DS and either Pokémon X or Y.

Years
I agree with Peitharchia, DS games are kinda outdated and given the wi-fi services will be getting cut off it would definitely be worth it to get a 3DS and X or Y. Also, as Timbjerr said the Pokedex is really big in Kalos so there's a nice selection of Pokemon even in the early parts of the game meaning loads of flexibility for team building there.

It also has some fun features like trainer customization and Pokemon Amie, both which can get you hooked for ages.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You're better off skipping the DS and going straight to the 3DS titles, X & Y. However, I would still recommend checking out the DS games later on when you have the time. I don't think you should immediately go to them, because wifi services will be discontinued soon, but HeartGold/SoulSilver, Black 2/White 2, and Platinum are all great games, even without their wifi services to their names. They're super fun, and you can play them on a 3DS as well! Just hold down the start button while the games boot up so you can play them in their original resolution. The 3DS makes the DS games look really ugly and fuzzy.

Shhmew

Years
Hey, though I'd ask this here since it can apply to most pokemon games.

So I finally got around to picking up my various Mystery Gift pokemon (in white 2) like Deoxys, the shiny Dialga, etc. but I wanted to soft reset for decent IVs. However this is proving REALLY tedious, especially since I also want a good nature. Is there any way to speed this up? I assume Synchronizing the nature doesn't work; I actually don't have any proper Synchronizers on this game anyway. So what else can I do to help it along, or is it really just a matter of soft resetting countless times for each one until I get the right nature and good IVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back