• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
So, I have an idea for this Wolf's Rain RP.

Avoiding the "Paradise" topic altogether, this plot would be based solely on survival. Wolves have become a public awareness, and the Humans are trying to hunt them to true extinction. Players can choose both Humans and Wolves, all with different motifs, plans and intents.

Thoughts?

I like this idea c:

… I would reserve a spot for wolf but I already know your answer… -v-

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Okay, so here's a few sections from the roleplay revive that I'm working on.

Spoiler:

I wrote the Prologue/Your Role sections ages ago, so they may not be the best, lol.

I'm posting this here to:

a) inquire about how awkwardly writ it is and see if I should rewrite it.
b) see what the general interest in the roleplay is.
c) possibly find a co-GM.

I still have to detail all of the islands . . . although, I suppose I can do that as we go along. I also want to come up with some more things, such as lore for the islands or something. The more I think about this recently, the more interesting things I think of to throw into it. (Also, if it wasn't apparent by that little snippet, this is a pokémon journey roleplay.)

So, going by that, I'm not sure when I'll post this roleplay. If I have a laptop/something to give that laptop internet when summer starts, then I'll post it soon-ish. (I don't want to post it and then bam! no access to the internet, other than my phone, so I can't really GM. I've done that once before and it suuuuuucked.)

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Hey guys, I have a question:

What do you prefer? Already existing universe RPs based on an existing series etc. or a completely original universe?

The board has had its fair share of both, with the existing universe option being the more popular obviously, but what do you prefer?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Personally I prefer existing universes. Nothing against anyones ability to create a fantastic setting, I just have a limited amount of time to dedicate to roleplaying, so it's usually easier for me to create a character and jump into a world I'm already familair with.

That being said, a Final Fantasy roleplay has legs, depending on the world setting. I think X actually has a lot of potential, as you can either do a pre-Yuna or alternate world plot where players play a Summoner and their Guardians on their journey. Or you can do a post-Yuna plot with players playing as Sphere Hunters.

I'd also love to see a roleplay set in Marvel or DC. A new class of X-Men or a Young Justice sort of deal. If I had time I'd do it, but I'll just wait and see if anyone else makes a move...

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
I'd also love to see a roleplay set in Marvel or DC. A new class of X-Men or a Young Justice sort of deal. If I had time I'd do it, but I'll just wait and see if anyone else makes a move...
If you were to do anything Marvel or DC *coughmarvelcough* I would definitely take a look at it. I think anything super-hero at the moment would be my kinda gig. *winky-face-points-at-signature-and-cries*

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years

What do you prefer? Already existing universe RPs based on an existing series etc. or a completely original universe?

The board has had its fair share of both, with the existing universe option being the more popular obviously, but what do you prefer?

Ooh good question. ^^

I generally prefer original RPs. I really like discovering new worlds with new rules, or following along with an original plotline and encounter things I haven't seen elsewhere. I mean, either way, as an RPer, you're playing in somebody else's sandbox. In an original world, however, I feel like you have a bit more wriggle room than in an established one. I love feeling like I'm a part of the creation of something, and not just a participant in a collaborative AU fanfiction.

Obviously, there's still a huge amount of creativity and effort for somebody modifying something from a show or game or novel into a roleplayable format. It can be great to jump into an established world you love or are intrigued by, but to me it seems slightly limiting. Sometimes these RPs stand on the popularity of the series they're based on, rather than on their own merits. It can be difficult to distinguish between success due to hype over the original work, or success on the RP's own merits.

Basically: series-based RPs are fun and can be extremely well done, but I love original RPs (even if they're probably more likely to die).

Although... am I the only RPer here that doesn't want to run an RP of my own? It kinda seems like everyone's getting in on the action while I just twiddle my thumbs in the corner and treasure my "Participation" award. xD

Years

I don't particularly favour one over the other as long as the story is good and the RP is decently made :)

@Synthet - I actually have an RP set in the marvel universe set aside xD. But I have a different "project" that I'm planning to bring out first.

@Sweet_Dreams - I doubt your the only one. I actually really enjoy creating my own universes and plots and then watching them develop as a player and GM in my own RPs.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Ooh good question. ^^

o_0; Who are you?

But, to answer the question at hand. I like original world's like what Supervegeta and Raikiri have done with Aerion, and I applaud them for taking all that time to do that. There are just so many things you can do in original that you can't do in existing ones. Well... possibly. If I had the patience to do that I would most certainly do that for any RP that I would come up with. My laziness would show, so, if I'm making a RP it'll be set in the real world/present day just to make it a bit less complicated for me! You have to be creative to do original worlds and I'm not sure if I could think that vastly or much in order to have what it takes. Ahh well.

(If the GMs are capable) Original > Existing

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
o_0; Who are you?

Very funny, Mister We're-In-An-RP-Together. xP

@Sweet_Dreams - I doubt your the only one. I actually really enjoy creating my own universes and plots and then watching them develop as a player and GM in my own RPs.

Obviously, there are a lot of lovely and unique experiences to being a GM. I suppose I just feel a bit like I'm not allowed on the cool table because I don't plan on creating my own RP. ^^ I'm perfectly happy exploring worlds and plots that other people have set and interacting with other characters without all the stress.

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years
IMO, I feel like original worlds are more interesting, but existing worlds force certain rules that are already established, thus making them easier to follow and more approachable for RPers. With that said I am working on developing a concept drawing inspiration from various manga, anime, and games, including Megaman Battle Network, Sword Art Online, and Accel World. So here is what I've got after about 20 minutes of brainstorming and writing. This is a very early draft so I apologize for any awkward or broken grammar.

Premise:
Spoiler:

Story:
Spoiler:

You:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
If you were to do anything Marvel or DC *coughmarvelcough* I would definitely take a look at it. I think anything super-hero at the moment would be my kinda gig. *winky-face-points-at-signature-and-cries*

I would absolutely love, love, love to. But I just don't have the time to devote to being a GM at the minute. I could maybe be persuaded to backseat co-GM something, but even that would be a stretch. But yes, a Marvel RP would be right up my street. I suggested a new X-Men class because it gives structure, room for character/power development, easy origin story etc. etc. But anything could work really.

Years
@Colony - That actually sounds really cool, I might be in for that xD. I would recommend fleshing it out and expanding on it a bit though (origins, the event itself, motives of the NT and how the protagonists deal with these enemies).

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years

Didn't I mention something comic book-y a while back? Well, I had an idea for a supehero roleplay---a few superhero roleplays, actually---but I'm spending most of my RPing time working on the one I posted a little while ago.

Mine probably would have involved a new generation of heroes, possibly mentored by previous heroes. Perhaps something like DC Universe Online. And I probably would have thought pf a way to merge Marvel and DC for a roleplay. It wouldn't be difficult, lol. d:

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
Colony- that sounds so much like MegaMan Battle Network, as well as StarForce (of course, they're in the same universe), as well as Draglade, that I have to get into it the moment it exists.

Superheroes... I suppose it would be interesting, but DC>Marvel imo *shot by Skymin*

I prefer existing universes, although I really don't have much of a bias.

Last edited:

Bleacher

Chaos Worshipper
Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2013
Well, in truth Ultimate Marvel>Marvel/DC. But that's probably just me.

How about Marvel Zombies? ;)

On a side note I'm putting the Crysis RP in cryo now, not many people seem to be familiar with Crysis...

And with all the Original Universe discussion, I have plans for making an RP set in the low fantasy middle ages where players take on the role of nobles and lords. The players band together to create kingdoms, war other realms and the main goal would be global domination. In the process players would make allies and enemies and can switch alliance to other realms. . . The RP would see rise and fall of realms, birth of superpowers and everyone else on the map gangbanging to destroy the superpower. If this idea feels good I'll go along and pay more time to flesh it out! :)

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
A while back I became a fan of the Persona series.

So someone make a Persona RP with Pokemon elements in it.

Or not.

Do whatever you want to.

ohHeyVaporeon.

You just can't shake me.
Years
Did I read something about X-Men?

-squeals-

I would absolutely love, love, love to. But I just don't have the time to devote to being a GM at the minute. I could maybe be persuaded to backseat co-GM something, but even that would be a stretch. But yes, a Marvel RP would be right up my street. I suggested a new X-Men class because it gives structure, room for character/power development, easy origin story etc. etc. But anything could work really.

I did, I did!

I love X-Men roleplays, so much so that it's not always a good thing. ^^ I think I would basically die if there was an X-Men themed roleplay. I would never leave. Ever. -.-

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Personally, I think original worlds are better, but only if it is managed well by the GM. Generally existing worlds, or at least worlds based on existing ones, are easier to get across to the RPers and attract more attention (I think...)

And btws, Marvel is simply better than DC. The only thing cooler than a few marvel heroes that DC has is Batman, who gets owned by Spider-Man 10/10 times. Although, I kinda like the DC villains more. Especially the Batman villains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back