• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
In the full patch, if you use the Game Boy Player once, it works as intended, but if you use it again (to go back to the normal GBA sounds), it freezes.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
In the full patch, if you use the Game Boy Player once, it works as intended, but if you use it again (to go back to the normal GBA sounds), it freezes.
Geez, that's a pretty bad bug.

Thanks for telling me! A stray byte in the Catch 'em All patch was causing cross-patching issues. I've fixed it and updated the download in the first post. Since it's just a bug-fix, albeit a significant bug, I'm not going to give it the usual release treatment.

jAvAcOlA

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2015
Geez, that's a pretty bad bug.

Thanks for telling me! A stray byte in the Catch 'em All patch was causing cross-patching issues. I've fixed it and updated the download in the first post. Since it's just a bug-fix, albeit a significant bug, I'm not going to give it the usual release treatment.

Hey Richter, do you think you could tell me how to manually fix this bug? I've edited your ROM heavily for personal use and can't simply re-patch now.

Also on a side note if you could tell me how to remove reusable TMs manually that'd be awesome too.

TheRabbit

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
The repel system doesn't work. It asks you if you want to use another but nothing happens when you click "yes".

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hey Richter, do you think you could tell me how to manually fix this bug? I've edited your ROM heavily for personal use and can't simply re-patch now.

Also on a side note if you could tell me how to remove reusable TMs manually that'd be awesome too.
The issue with the previous version was with the GB Player's item usage routine, which is at ROM offset 7705FF. Make sure the bytes starting from there look like this:

Code:
2B F0 08 06 01 1D 06 77 08 29 F0 08 11 01 C4 0F 00 03 35 0F 00 2E 04 78 08 09 04 6C 02 29 2A F0 08 11 01 C4 0F 00 03 35 0F 00 5F 04 78 08 09 04 6C 02 FF
To revert the TM usage, switch the bytes at ROM offsets 124EA0 and 124F6C from 90 to A9.
The repel system doesn't work. It asks you if you want to use another but nothing happens when you click "yes".
Yeah, that seems to be the case. It's another bug that only affects the full Throwback patch. I've made another fix for that. Since it's just another fix, there's no fanfare again. Still an important update, though. Always try to minimize bugs! In case one wants to fix it manually, change the bytes at ROM offset 1BFB69 to read as such:

Code:
B5 04 48 50 21 00 F0 01 F8 00 BD 00 4A 10 47 1D 74 07 08 99 19 0A 08
As a bonus, I also included diegoisawesome's "Skip Both Intro Tutorials" patch to the Extras series of additions. The download's up, so get at it!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Higher Quality Cries: Have you ever felt that the quality of Pokémon cries in Generations 3-5 was lacking? Well, don't feel that way as much now! This patch will increase the clarity of the cries of all Kanto and Johto Pokémon over what was previously available. The cries were taken from clean recordings from a copy of Pokémon Crystal and downsampled to 16000Hz for insertion into the game. 16000Hz still isn't particularly great, so don't expect miracles with this patch, just minor changes. Since no higher-quality versions of Hoenn Pokémon cries are available to the public (to my knowledge, the DS and console games use the same audio files as the GBA games), their cries remain untouched. But that's kind of a good thing. This is a HUGE patch. Literally. The patch uses the entirety of the free space from 0xA00000 to 0xCFFFFF. I really had to do some massive sqeezing just to get them all to fit in that. Heck, astute listeners will note that the last part of Electabuzz's cry has been removed just for that reason! If Throwback didn't cause any conflicts with other hackers' patches you may be using in tandem with it, there's a good chance this wi

I never saw this before. I haven't checked in here in a while.

What a cool idea though!

I'm going to guess no, but not possible to use the cries from Stadium somehow is it?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I never saw this before. I haven't checked in here in a while.

What a cool idea though!

I'm going to guess no, but not possible to use the cries from Stadium somehow is it?
Actually, it'd be entirely possible to do that! Since the cries are just wav files played via DirectSound, I could theoretically make the Pokémon cries be anything you want. The real difficulty would be obtaining clean cries of the Pokémon from those games. I'm pretty sure there's no way to play them back standalone in Stadium 1 (international, that is), and I don't have a copy of Stadium 2 to test whether it'd be possible from there.

I guess it'd technically be possible to extract the cries from an N64 ROM. I actually fiddled around with the sounds in the ROM a little. I could find many of the sound effects in the game, but not the actual Pokémon cries (or the announcer's voice clips, for that matter). It could have something to do with the "Voice Compression Technology Licensed by Factor 5", but I really don't know.

I can see why you might want an option for them, though. They certainly fit in well with the cries that Pokémon from later generations have.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I can see why you might want an option for them, though. They certainly fit in well with the cries that Pokémon from later generations have.
Not quite my reasoning.

As a "Definitive Kanto Experience", I think it might make sense to use the best available audio from Gen I and II. I always liked how Pokemon who in the GB games had identical or very similar cries now had distinct sounds on the N64.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.8.3 Released!

Okay, so I'm cheating a little bit calling this 3.8.3. I didn't wan to release a 3.8.3 until there were enough changes from the previous version to warrant such a change. The numbering justification comes from all the changes made since the initial 3.8.2 release. As such, the changelog includes the changes from revisions A and B as well as the ones in this update. Anyways...

It has come to my attention that there are still a few bugs with the Extras patch, particularly with items I added to the game. Trying to grab any of the three flutes located throughout the game would cause the game to crash. As it turns out, I actually had that code interfering with the GB Player code. Whoops! Them's the brakes when making a multi-patch hack, I guess. Those have been fixed. Also, there were a couple of trees that couldn't be cut at Five Isle Meadow (FireRed only). That's fixed, too. If you haven't yet, check out the changes with the updated download in the first post.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Enjoy!

Not quite my reasoning.

As a "Definitive Kanto Experience", I think it might make sense to use the best available audio from Gen I and II. I always liked how Pokemon who in the GB games had identical or very similar cries now had distinct sounds on the N64.

I might explore this a bit. See if they can be ripped...
"The best available audio" is really subjective. Most people don't really remember how the Pokémon cries sounded in the Stadium games. Plus their 8-bit cries have become rather well-recognized and remembered by many. "Definitive", in this sense, should signify that the game has the objectively best presentation and gameplay available while having as many options as reasonably possible for elements of the game that have subjectively better versions of them. I mean, if I was just going to use the most sophisticated versions of audio in the hack, I wouldn't have bothered including the 8-bit music in the first place.

I'll certainly look at possibly including it as an alternate patch in the future, but that depends on having the capability to rip them. If you can find a way to get them, let me know!

Edit: Looks like I caught your full post before you edited it. Good timing, I guess.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
If this is "The remake we deserve", shouldn't have at least 4th Gen graphics? :/ ...
I don't know.. it doesn't feel a remake with exactly the same graphics than the 3rd Gen..
It would be certainly A LOT better with HG/SS tiles at least :/ ...
Even the sprites are the same of FR/LG :( ... you could, at least, use the BW Sprites Patch of PokeMMO :( ...
Anyway, i'm going to play it because i've like the features and the single idea of using Red with his R/B/Y/G Costume makes me going crazy because i love that costume.
Greetings from Uruguay :)

Cya~

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.9.0 now out!

Happy Winter Solstice! These times of the year are the ones where we all get to relax and enjoy ourselves for the holidays before the hustle and bustle of life come swooping back in. So why not enjoy a sizable update to Throwback while you're at it?

I have to admit, until about a couple of weeks ago I didn't have much motivation to do much for the hack. College had me down, and I just couldn't think of things to do with it right away. However, once I settled down with it, the changes kind of just started piling up!

I really have to thank FBI agent here. If it wasn't for his breakneck pace of releasing new ASM routines for FireRed, I might not have gotten enough drive to go on with this! Many thanks to you.

Anyways, here's the update. I'm confident there's something for everyone here. Please apply the patches to a clean ROM. There will be conflicts otherwise.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Enjoy this yuletide gift, and I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday break! :)

If this is "The remake we deserve", shouldn't have at least 4th Gen graphics? :/ ...
I don't know.. it doesn't feel a remake with exactly the same graphics than the 3rd Gen..
It would be certainly A LOT better with HG/SS tiles at least :/ ...
Even the sprites are the same of FR/LG :( ... you could, at least, use the BW Sprites Patch of PokeMMO :( ...
Anyway, i'm going to play it because i've like the features and the single idea of using Red with his R/B/Y/G Costume makes me going crazy because i love that costume.
Greetings from Uruguay :)

Cya~
The "remake" part of that statement is referring to FireRed and LeafGreen themselves. They are remakes of the 1st Gen games. My hack improves upon them in hopes to provide the best 1st Gen experience possible. Also, different graphics does not necessarily a better game make. The graphics from HG/SS work well enough for those games because of the 3D elements in them. FR/LG do not have 3D elements in their overworlds, and because of that porting the graphics style wouldn't have the same effect. Besides, it's not like those games have better graphics for everything in FR/LG.

Also, I think you're taking the "catchphrase" in the banner a bit too seriously. It was just meant to be a play on the quote from The Dark Knight. I'm not claiming anything concrete from it, just giving an idea of what the hack is about.

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2015
Version 3.9.0 now out!

Happy Winter Solstice! These times of the year are the ones where we all get to relax and enjoy ourselves for the holidays before the hustle and bustle of life come swooping back in. So why not enjoy a sizable update to Throwback while you're at it?

I have to admit, until about a couple of weeks ago I didn't have much motivation to do much for the hack. College had me down, and I just couldn't think of things to do with it right away. However, once I settled down with it, the changes kind of just started piling up!

I really have to thank FBI agent here. If it wasn't for his breakneck pace of releasing new ASM routines for FireRed, I might not have gotten enough drive to go on with this! Many thanks to you.

Anyways, here's the update. I'm confident there's something for everyone here. Please apply the patches to a clean ROM. There will be conflicts otherwise.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Enjoy this yuletide gift, and I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday break! :)

The "remake" part of that statement is referring to FireRed and LeafGreen themselves. They are remakes of the 1st Gen games. My hack improves upon them in hopes to provide the best 1st Gen experience possible. Also, different graphics does not necessarily a better game make. The graphics from HG/SS work well enough for those games because of the 3D elements in them. FR/LG do not have 3D elements in their overworlds, and because of that porting the graphics style wouldn't have the same effect. Besides, it's not like those games have better graphics for everything in FR/LG.

Also, I think you're taking the "catchphrase" in the banner a bit too seriously. It was just meant to be a play on the quote from The Dark Knight. I'm not claiming anything concrete from it, just giving an idea of what the hack is about.

What a wonderful christmas present, not only in giving out the new release, but more so in the message given with it. I would like to thank you for this, and wish you a merry christmas. :)

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
Years
Thank you for the wonderful Christmas gift you've provided us. This update really makes the game stellar.

I was wondering if there were any plans to implement other changes, like for example, higher-quality spr...

EDIT: Didn't notice your same response up there to a similar question. Derp. Sorry to waste your time, and thanks for the hard work.

Last edited:

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
Would there be a way to repoint the GB Player for a seperate hack? I've been working on one that uses MrDollSteak's base and has 721 Pokémon, so the area that the GB Player would be used at has already been used.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Thank you for the wonderful Christmas gift you've provided us. This update really makes the game stellar.

I was wondering if there were any plans to implement other changes, like for example, higher-quality spr...

EDIT: Didn't notice your same response up there to a similar question. Derp. Sorry to waste your time, and thanks for the hard work.
Hey, don't sweat it. Chaos Rush did an excellent job downscaling the Gen 4 sprites, and they'd fit well in hacks that would naturally be fitting for them. And thank you!
Would there be a way to repoint the GB Player for a seperate hack? I've been working on one that uses MrDollSteak's base and has 721 Pokémon, so the area that the GB Player would be used at has already been used.
Technically speaking, yes. It would be possible to repoint the data for the GB Player.

However, each song has up to six pointers: four for instrument tracks, one for its voice table, and one for its header location. These, plus the data relevant for music bank switching, makes for hundreds of pointers that you'll have to change. Unless the data from MrDollSteak's base's new Pokémon encroaches on the same territory as the music, it'd be easier to repoint the data from the ROM base. And if it does, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I could move the GB Player data myself by recompiling the music elsewhere, but it'd still result in the potential for it to break compatibility with other hacks if they placed data there, too. Maybe I should move it in general just because many hacks start placing new data at 0x800000. That's where I started with mine, anyways. No guarantees, though.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
What a beautiful patch! So far i've gotten hours of fun out of my playthrough, the gb player really does make things more nostalgic :)

Just a small question though, and sorry if it's been asked before. Would the patch have any incompatibilities with the 386 patches that are out there? Not the ones that add other things, just the pure catch em all patches? Or will i have to manually make the pokemon available?

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
Hey, don't sweat it. Chaos Rush did an excellent job downscaling the Gen 4 sprites, and they'd fit well in hacks that would naturally be fitting for them. And thank you!

Technically speaking, yes. It would be possible to repoint the data for the GB Player.

However, each song has up to six pointers: four for instrument tracks, one for its voice table, and one for its header location. These, plus the data relevant for music bank switching, makes for hundreds of pointers that you'll have to change. Unless the data from MrDollSteak's base's new Pokémon encroaches on the same territory as the music, it'd be easier to repoint the data from the ROM base. And if it does, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I could move the GB Player data myself by recompiling the music elsewhere, but it'd still result in the potential for it to break compatibility with other hacks if they placed data there, too. Maybe I should move it in general just because many hacks start placing new data at 0x800000. That's where I started with mine, anyways. No guarantees, though.
Got'cha, I think the only issue I had with it was that it conflicted with some of the DS sprites I put in. Was in a battle against Nidoran (Female) and the game crashed. So, that must just be an issue on my end.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
What a beautiful patch! So far i've gotten hours of fun out of my playthrough, the gb player really does make things more nostalgic :)

Just a small question though, and sorry if it's been asked before. Would the patch have any incompatibilities with the 386 patches that are out there? Not the ones that add other things, just the pure catch em all patches? Or will i have to manually make the pokemon available?
That depends on how an "All Pokémon Ever" patch is set to obtain each Pokémon. If they only change wild locations and evolution chains, then they should theoretically be compatible. Besides, you know, the obvious overriding of the wild location changes I made for the Catch 'em All portion of the hack. If custom events to obtain some special Pokémon have been added, such as one-shot battles with starters or legendaries, then there's a chance it will break general compatibility with my hack. It all depends on where the new data is located.
Got'cha, I think the only issue I had with it was that it conflicted with some of the DS sprites I put in. Was in a battle against Nidoran (Female) and the game crashed. So, that must just be an issue on my end.
Doesn't sound like it'd be an issue with the data locations for the ROM base, then. I haven't used it, so I couldn't say myself.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
That depends on how an "All Pokémon Ever" patch is set to obtain each Pokémon. If they only change wild locations and evolution chains, then they should theoretically be compatible. Besides, you know, the obvious overriding of the wild location changes I made for the Catch 'em All portion of the hack. If custom events to obtain some special Pokémon have been added, such as one-shot battles with starters or legendaries, then there's a chance it will break general compatibility with my hack. It all depends on where the new data is located.

Alright, thanks. I'm gonna hold off on patching the game for now, since it just dawned on me that i wouldn't be able to play with that patch and evolve my johto/hoenn pokemon without a national dex, and I don't really want to use the cheats for that. If I do end up deciding to patch it, I'll provide information on how it works and which patch was used, for compatibility purposes.

Thanks,
~link491

Back