• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen New to the world of Sinnoh

Years
Hey there!

A fellow member (adventure) responded to my introduction in the Meet & Greet subforum—which I've reproduced here for both convenience and to provide a bit of background—recommending that I may want to start a Journal to record my progress. I thought it was a great idea and so here I am!

Sadly I had to Google a Pokémon for the title of this thread!

Hello guys and gals! I once watched a YouTube video of a guy playing Pokémon for the first time. I thought it was great, though I never thought to be in the somewhat same position.

I'm 25, married, with a wee baby boy currently crying his heart out because he's convinced it's not bed time. The last game I played was Crystal version all the way back in 2001. I never got around to the 3rd Gen because, well, life. A few years ago I discovered ROMs and had some fun finally playing Emerald and FireRed. And that was that. I never went any further.

Then along comes my wife's little brother with Pokémon Pearl and the assurance that he'd not mind at all if I restarted it. And so here I am. A total rookie once again on the cusp of a real adventure. I love the early generations and they all have such fond memories for me. But now I'm going to go places I just don't know. I could probably recall word for word the dialogue from Pokémon Blue. Now I'm going in to a region where everything's new, no paths have been trodden yet. I've got butterflies!

This is always the most fun sort of challenge. You've got the solo-run, the mono-type run, the nuzlocke challenge. But I can't think of a greater challenge than diving in to a game where you've nothing to go on (except a a general background in the older versions).

I've completely forbidden the in-laws to give me spoilers. All I know is that Ghost is finally and at last Special as it always should have been, and that the starters final forms are all dual-types.

Now I'm facing that age old question. Which Pokémon do I forever condemn to eternal solitude on the professor's desk?

Wish me luck!

As you may haven noted above, I'm brand-new to post-3rd generation Pokémon. I'm not entirely sure which format this Journal will take. I guess a mixture of game review, story, and a master thread for asking questions and getting advice! You may also have noted that I've not had any real spoilers and I've managed to keep myself from Googling about the game. I want to keep the adventure and surprise alive. Though since writing that introduction my idiot little brother-in-law just HAD to tell me that the first gym is a Rock trainer. There goes that surprise!

I should be upfront about one thing though. I did a little research in to the starters. I know their final forms—but not any of their movesets—and got a general idea of what they'll tend to excell in. My starter is important to me throughout all of my games so I like a little bit of information! So that being said...

Last night I slipped the Game Card in to the 3DS and started my game. The opening trailer was awesome, they really outdid thenselves this time (and the mascot Pokémon with the background music was really ominous!). I met Prof. Rowan, who seems a cranky auld fella, and introduced myself as Jon. I also found out that I have a best friend I hardly knew! His name's David (a reference to a kid I grew up with).

After the meet and greet he told me that I had to be off on my adventure and I found myself watching a show about an elusive Red Garydos. Man that thing sure does get around, doesn't it? How many generations has it crossed now? And then there was I, standing in my room. I have an OCD-like compulsion in that the first thing I do when I wake up in my room is check the posted notice, and I'm glad I did. Gameboys with X and Y buttons... what is this, a Sony Playstation? I pressed X, opened the menu, and set my text option to Fast and my battle style to Set.

I went down stairs and met mum. She let me know that David was looking for me and that I was forbidden to go in to the tall grass. Since I'm a good little boy I listened and went on my way.

I found David's house and got what I suspect is a broken nose for my trouble. He's a hyper little sort is our David. He rudely informed me that I'd even have to pay the medical costs for the broken nose he gave me! Why am I friends with this kid again? Well after chasing him up to his room, he bolted passed me and I had to listen to his mum ponder which side of the family he takes after. I tracked him down to Route 201 and he revealed his master plan to hunt down a Ted Garydos. I think my character facepalmed so hard he hurt his already broken nose and entered in to a delirious state, which made him far too enthusiastic about the idea of hunting a Red Garydos.

But delirious state or no, I tagged along with him and we headed up to Lake Verity. I'm just going to note here that I do love the graphics here, but they're not the massive step up from FireRed or Emerald that I was expecting. The pseudo-3D effect is giving more an impression of potential than accomplishment.

At Lake Verity we bumped in to that grumpy auld fella from before with a young girl in tow. They were muttering about something to do with the lake and about being back in Sinnoh. They noticed us as they were leaving the Lake, and granted he was a bit terse, but she was sweet enough. As they left, David clocked that they'd left a briefcase behind. Now, I've got a broken nose at this stage, I've got a massive medical bill waiting for me, I'm semi-delirious, and this kid is telling me to go in to the tall grass. Like, seriously? No dude, just no. No, I'm not a mamma's boy! I'll show you!

So off I go, foolish me, and we grab the briefcase. My friends I can only describe my reaction to the events that followed as a sigh so woeful that I think I lost all will to live. WHY are we not to go in to the tall grass? Because wild Pokémon live in tall grass. What happens when you go in to tall grass? You get attacked by wile Pokémon. And so now because of the little git that broke my nose, I'm being charged by a rabid little bird/duck thing!

Now in fairness he was quick on his feet. He found some Pokéballs in that briefcase and said we should use them. So I grabbed a ball and threw it, hoping for the best. And as that little demon bird thing charged at me...

Turtwig stood his ground in front of me.

He's a little green turtle guys, I mean really, how could I choose any other? Okay so really I was leaning towards Piplup, the idea of a majestic penguin hunting in the frozen lakes of Valhalla is awesome. But my abiding love will always be with the Squirtle family, and here Turtwig is a new take on that classic line. Rapidash may ravish the Kanto Pokémon Fanclub President, but Turtwig tickles me in ways I can't explain (yeah I AM that funny). Anyways...

Wait, Withdraw? I thought I chose the Grass starter... okay then...

Turtwig withdrew in to himself, preparing for battle as the Starly attacked. He took the hit well, and responded in kind. He battered Starly something awful, and drove it away. Even the change of tactic in making cute little noises couldn't save it.

The battle was over almost as quickly as it began. David panted that he thought Turtwig was awesome, but nowhere near as cool as his Chimchar. Well, monkey see, monkey do...

The girl we saw earlier had came running back looking for the briefcase. She was shocked when she'd peiced together what had happened. She took the briefcase, and ran off. We got out of the tall grass and spoke for a moment. We'd have to find them to return their Pokémon. That was the last thing on David's mind, he was fascinated with his little monkey. Or was his little monkey fascinated with its little monkey? Though admittedly I didn't want to part with Turtwig quite yet either.

As we left Lake Verity we found the man and girl waiting for us on R201. The auld fella came up to us and looked us up and down with a stare that'd knock a Tauros down at 20 paces. He said something to himself, and then informed the girl, Dawn apparently, that he was heading back to his lab. As he left she scrambled after him, calling to us that we should come to their lab to see them later. David said we should go home, and I was more than agreeable to that suggestion.

So off I go home, still with Turwig in my possession. He really is cute... apparently is fond to thrasing around, whatever that means, and Lax in nature, but I can forgive him that.

K2VoltHD

I make wonderful and funny Youtube videos. You sho
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
Hey there!

A fellow member (adventure) responded to my introduction in the Meet & Greet subforum—which I've reproduced here for both convenience and to provide a bit of background—recommending that I may want to start a Journal to record my progress. I thought it was a great idea and so here I am!

As you may haven noted above, I'm brand-new to post-3rd generation Pokémon. I'm not entirely sure which format this Journal will take. I guess a mixture of game review, story, and a master thread for asking questions and getting advice! You may also have noted that I've not had any real spoilers and I've managed to keep myself from Googling about the game. I want to keep the adventure and surprise alive. Though since writing that introduction my idiot little brother-in-law just HAD to tell me that the first gym is a Rock trainer. There goes that surprise!

I should be upfront about one thing though. I did a little research in to the starters. I know their final forms—but not any of their movesets—and got a general idea of what they'll tend to excell in. My starter is important to me throughout all of my games so I like a little bit of information! So that being said...

Last night I slipped the Game Card in to the 3DS and started my game. The opening trailer was awesome, they really outdid thenselves this time (and the mascot Pokémon with the background music was really ominous!). I met Prof. Rowan, who seems a cranky auld fella, and introduced myself as Jon. I also found out that I have a best friend I hardly knew! His name's David (a reference to a kid I grew up with).

After the meet and greet he told me that I had to be off on my adventure and I found myself watching a show about an elusive Red Garydos. Man that thing sure does get around, doesn't it? How many generations has it crossed now? And then there was I, standing in my room. I have an OCD-like compulsion in that the first thing I do when I wake up in my room is check the posted notice, and I'm glad I did. Gameboys with X and Y buttons... what is this, a Sony Playstation? I pressed X, opened the menu, and set my text option to Fast and my battle style to Set.

I went down stairs and met mum. She let me know that David was looking for me and that I was forbidden to go in to the tall grass. Since I'm a good little boy I listened and went on my way.

I found David's house and got what I suspect is a broken nose for my trouble. He's a hyper little sort is our David. He rudely informed me that I'd even have to pay the medical costs for the broken nose he gave me! Why am I friends with this kid again? Well after chasing him up to his room, he bolted passed me and I had to listen to his mum ponder which side of the family he takes after. I tracked him down to Route 201 and he revealed his master plan to hunt down a Ted Garydos. I think my character facepalmed so hard he hurt his already broken nose and entered in to a delirious state, which made him far too enthusiastic about the idea of hunting a Red Garydos.

But delirious state or no, I tagged along with him and we headed up to Lake Verity. I'm just going to note here that I do love the graphics here, but they're not the massive step up from FireRed or Emerald that I was expecting. The pseudo-3D effect is giving more an impression of potential than accomplishment.

At Lake Verity we bumped in to that grumpy auld fella from before with a young girl in tow. They were muttering about something to do with the lake and about being back in Sinnoh. They noticed us as they were leaving the Lake, and granted he was a bit terse, but she was sweet enough. As they left, David clocked that they'd left a briefcase behind. Now, I've got a broken nose at this stage, I've got a massive medical bill waiting for me, I'm semi-delirious, and this kid is telling me to go in to the tall grass. Like, seriously? No dude, just no. No, I'm not a mamma's boy! I'll show you!

So off I go, foolish me, and we grab the briefcase. My friends I can only describe my reaction to the events that followed as a sigh so woeful that I think I lost all will to live. WHY are we not to go in to the tall grass? Because wild Pokémon live in tall grass. What happens when you go in to tall grass? You get attacked by wile Pokémon. And so now because of the little git that broke my nose, I'm being charged by a rabid little bird/duck thing!

Now in fairness he was quick on his feet. He found some Pokéballs in that briefcase and said we should use them. So I grabbed a ball and threw it, hoping for the best. And as that little demon bird thing charged at me...

Turtwig stood his ground in front of me.

He's a little green turtle guys, I mean really, how could I choose any other? Okay so really I was leaning towards Piplup, the idea of a majestic penguin hunting in the frozen lakes of Valhalla is awesome. But my abiding love will always be with the Squirtle family, and here Turtwig is a new take on that classic line. Rapidash may ravish the Kanto Pokémon Fanclub President, but Turtwig tickles me in ways I can't explain (yeah I AM that funny). Anyways...

Wait, Withdraw? I thought I chose the Grass starter... okay then...

Turtwig withdrew in to himself, preparing for battle as the Starly attacked. He took the hit well, and responded in kind. He battered Starly something awful, and drove it away. Even the change of tactic in making cute little noises couldn't save it.

The battle was over almost as quickly as it began. David panted that he thought Turtwig was awesome, but nowhere near as cool as his Chimchar. Well, monkey see, monkey do...

The girl we saw earlier had came running back looking for the briefcase. She was shocked when she'd peiced together what had happened. She took the briefcase, and ran off. We got out of the tall grass and spoke for a moment. We'd have to find them to return their Pokémon. That was the last thing on David's mind, he was fascinated with his little monkey. Or was his little monkey fascinated with its little monkey? Though admittedly I didn't want to part with Turtwig quite yet either.

As we left Lake Verity we found the man and girl waiting for us on R201. The auld fella came up to us and looked us up and down with a stare that'd knock a Tauros down at 20 paces. He said something to himself, and then informed the girl, Dawn apparently, that he was heading back to his lab. As he left she scrambled after him, calling to us that we should come to their lab to see them later. David said we should go home, and I was more than agreeable to that suggestion.

So off I go home, still with Turwig in my possession. He really is cute... apparently is fond to thrasing around, whatever that means, and Lax in nature, but I can forgive him that.

Great story! Keep it up.

Back