• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 7 Reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
Hi, I was wondering if Windows 7 had a built-in reboot function. I want to completely restore my laptop to its factory settings. I saw the "Backup and Restore" function, but I don't want to back any of my data up, since I already have it saved on a USB drive.

Any advice on what to do?

Melody

Banned
Years
No, Windows 7 itself does not have such a function. If you bought your computer with Windows 7 already on it, there may be a way to restore it to factory condition by pressing a certain key before Windows begins to load, OR booting from a Recovery CD/DVD that came with your Computer

Note that there may be a pre-installed program that came with your computer which enables you to BURN a recovery CD/DVD if none came with your computer.

Cilerba

Years
No, Windows 7 itself does not have such a function. If you bought your computer with Windows 7 already on it, there may be a way to restore it to factory condition by pressing a certain key before Windows begins to load, OR booting from a Recovery CD/DVD that came with your Computer

Note that there may be a pre-installed program that came with your computer which enables you to BURN a recovery CD/DVD if none came with your computer.

Oh, alright, thanks.

I did create 3 seperate factory restore disks, using the Acer Reboot Function, I don't know how to use it...

John-117

Jirachi lover
Years
What are you using, a laptop or a desktop?
Laptop: the company who made the laptop should tell you a way to reinstall your OS.
Desktop: when you turn on your computer, interrupt it and you can put your disc and reinstall it.

Cilerba

Years
What are you using, a laptop or a desktop?
Laptop: the company who made the laptop should tell you a way to reinstall your OS.
Desktop: when you turn on your computer, interrupt it and you can put your disc and reinstall it.

I am using a laptop, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Melody

Banned
Years
um....I don't know. Consult the MANUAL that CAME WITH your LAPTOP!

Or look it up online and see if you can find an online manual at your laptop manufacturer's website.

Hovo

We gotta stay together.
Years
Did your laptop come with a factory image drive?

Go to Start -> Computer. There should be the C: drive, and if your laptop came with it, a drive called Factory_image or something along those lines.

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
Years
Um. OK! I will DO that. No NEED for the RUDENESS!

gosh...

You made my day with that you know? XD!

But in all seriousness, if you have a recovery CD/DVD, usually you can boot from it by pressing one of the F-Buttons on your keyboard.
But which you have to press differs from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Dell uses F12, others use F2, some use F8. You can find that out from your manual or the manufacturer website.

Cilerba

Years
Well, I figured it out on my own. It was something completely different from what you guys had said, I forgot how I did it, but I got to some menu, and it had about 7 different reboot options.

Thanks for the help everyone, sorry for that post above, I was sort of in a bad mood because I couldn't figure out how to do the reboot.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Why can't you just format your HDD and insert a disc to reinstall Windows 7? Or... use GOOGLE!?

Years
Um. OK! I will DO that. No NEED for the RUDENESS!

gosh...

Pachy had already essentially told you to that in his last post without explicitly saying, "check the manual". :\

Well, I figured it out on my own. It was something completely different from what you guys had said, I forgot how I did it, but I got to some menu, and it had about 7 different reboot options.

Thanks for the help everyone, sorry for that post above, I was sort of in a bad mood because I couldn't figure out how to do the reboot.

Sounds like there was a hidden system restore partition on your computer. A fair few manufacturers do it this way now.

Why can't you just format your HDD and insert a disc to reinstall Windows 7? Or... use GOOGLE!?

Because, it's a laptop... and some manufacturers don't include restore CDs with their computers (I know HP does, but Sony doesn't, and apparently, neither does Acer). They use hidden system restore/recovery partitions instead.

Years
Cilerba - I'm glad you worked it out. Keep in mind, a reboot is turning your computer off and then back on. You mean a restore or possibly a reinstall.

Heart's Soul - Because then they need to hunt down a plethora of drivers and have a Windows 7 disc in the first place. Given they've had trouble working out how to boot off a CD (don't take this the wrong way, OP.) a scratch reinstall is quite possibly beyond them. A restore is so much easier for a novice.

donnavannj - As far as I know, HP haven't provided restore CDs for a looooong time. They have an option in the Windows start menu that reboots into the recovery wizard, though.

Years
donnavannj - As far as I know, HP haven't provided restore CDs for a looooong time. They have an option in the Windows start menu that reboots into the recovery wizard, though.

My workplace bought some last month... and they came with those RestorePlus! CDs, for both Windows 7 and Windows XP. Though that may be because it was a company buying.

Years
My workplace bought some last month... and they came with those RestorePlus! CDs, for both Windows 7 and Windows XP. Though that may be because it was a company buying.
The Business end of HP is completely different. Their products are actually good there, and they seem to last. Plus, I reckon the business end looks better.

The Pavilions haven't had restore CDs for ages.

Years
Please do not revive threads that are older than 30 days, especially threads that are more than four years old. Thank you.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back