• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 2013 Academy Award Nominations are here!

Years
Spoiler:

Ugh, just ugh. I hate the Academy at times. Quick reaction is that Tarantino & Bigelow snubbed for Best Director, and no Affleck for Best Director?

Thoughts? Predictions?

Years
I think Lincoln is going to do well this year. Probably will get best picture. Lots of the time it seems like a movie can sweep all the awards except the director, but I think Spielberg can pick it up alongside best picture. John Williams did a good job on the movie, too. Normally I'd say he's derivative of himself, but you couldn't tell he'd done the music for it so that's a really good sign, I think.

I don't know what this Silver Linings Playbook movie is (bad title, btw) or who Bradley Cooper is so I'm just going to have to write him off. I've only seen Lincoln and a few others from these lists, and Daniel Day-Lewis was really good, but I know Hugh Jackman is a good actor and since it's Hollywood choosing I think they'd like a chance to give as many awards to musical performances as they can. I'm guessing Hugh Jackman gets best actor.

If Hollywood wants to be seen as hip and cool with the kids they'll pick Jennifer Lawrence. If they want to appear open and daring (which I don't think they will) they'll pick Quvenzhané Wallis. I think they'll pick Jessica Chastain because Zero Dark Thirty has gotten a bunch of press for how ~controversial~ parts of it are and because she seems like a solid pick that'll please lots of people and let Hollywood take a stance for the integrity of making movies, or something. Since I think they're going to pick Hugh Jackman I don't think they'll pick another person from Les Mis, as much as everyone is gushing over Anne Hathaway. I'm thinking Sally Field has a good shot because I actually saw her performance.

I gotta think that Wreck-It Ralph is a shoe-in for animated picture. Same with Adele for Skyfall. The original Les Mis song seems so transparent an attempt at an Oscar win. I also like that Mirror Mirror got a nomination for its costumes, which I thought were great.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Les Mis? Really? Best picture? Bah.

Nine films selected when there could be ten, and they made Les Mis one of them? It's in the 70s on RottenTomatoes. All the others they picked are in the 90s at least. And really, with 10 possible flicks. They should really have one that was a "popular" movie, yet well made. I think Skyfall should have been there. (The Dark Knight Rises maybe, if it was nearly-perfect in order to make up for TDK's snub. But it was too flawed)

Speaking of TDKR. No noms? At all? Nothing technical? Not even cinematography (which I'm happy to see Skyfall got a nod for).

Affleck should have been there yes. But, nine best pictures and only five best directors. So... someone going to be left out.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Speaking of TDKR. No noms? At all? Nothing technical? Not even cinematography (which I'm happy to see Skyfall got a nod for).
This was my first thought whilst reading over the nominations too. I'm really surprised there's no word of TDKR or even Nolan as far as nominations go, it's pretty disappointing. Overall the nominations this year aren't too bad but it's seeming pretty obvious which films are being favoured and who's going to go away with a lot of the prizes (Les Mis and Lincoln for at least 2 or 3 wins each, hmm?), but it'll still be exciting to see the final results. I was hoping for a bit more from Skyfall and TDKR, as well as a lot more for The Hobbit and The Avengers (only one nomination?), but there's a lot of great works in the mix too so hopefully we'll see some decent picks at the end.

Years

Nine films selected when there could be ten, and they made Les Mis one of them? It's in the 70s on RottenTomatoes. All the others they picked are in the 90s at least. And really, with 10 possible flicks. They should really have one that was a "popular" movie, yet well made. I think Skyfall should have been there. (The Dark Knight Rises maybe, if it was nearly-perfect in order to make up for TDK's snub. But it was too flawed)

Affleck should have been there yes. But, nine best pictures and only five best directors. So... someone going to be left out.

I agree. So much wrong with this year's nominations list.

@ Scarf

Silver Linings was incredible. Bradley Cooper was the guy from the Hangover and Limitless. Both he and Lawrence are worthy of those Oscar noms. Great acting and a great movie.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Leonardo DiCaprio snubbed again? Nah, screw the Academy, I'm out.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
As most people here will know, Oscar Nomination day ranks alongside my birthday, Christmas and the first day of whatever holiday I get in terms of favourite days of the year. And I don't care about how sad that sounds at all. I just love 'em! Indeed, I love the Nomination day more than the show itself, as everything's still technically up in the air and surprises can abound (and hooo boy were there some surprises today).

OK, so here's some good things: Yay for Emmanuelle Riva and Quvenzhané Wallis (whose name I had to only look up once), especially for their great photo-ops in the future. The two best performances of the year, and rightly honoured. Too bad J-Law or J-Chas are going to win for admittedly very good roles. Boo for no The Master score: Johnny Greenwood really outdid himself for that film, so it's a shame nothing happened with it outside of the actors. Yay for Jacki Weaver, whose presence in Silver Linings Playbook was a breath of fresh air in a still-very-good film. WTF for the Best Director line-up (in an awesome way!): I'm not an Argo or Les Mis fan but I AM an Amour/Beasts of the Southern Wild fan so I'm very happy with those mentions. I haven't seen ZDT yet so can't comment as to whether David O. Russell is a good substitute for Kathryn Bigelow, but I was a big SLP fan so I'm kinda happy with that. And double yay for Eiko Ishioka for her posthumous Costume Design nomination for Mirror Mirror. I definitely understand that the film was divisive (I liked it, on the whole, and definitely a lot better than Snow White and the Huntsman) but the costumes there were balls-to-the-wall amazing.

In terms of who I think's gonna win, the conventional wisdom would say Lincoln. DDL is pretty much sewn up at this point (and kinda deservedly as well, as much as I like Cooper in SLP and, to a lesser extent, Phoenix in The Master) but the rest could be a battle royale between it and Life of Pi. That one quietly snuck up due to its shedloads of tech nominations. That it doesn't have any actor support is a bit of a dent (actors make up 1/6 of AMPAS), which could lead to SLP being a spoiler. It got fewer nominations than Les Mis and Argo, but they were really important ones (Director, Writing, Editing and ALL THE ACTORS!) To me, it seems like a three-horse race, which is ridiculously exciting. February 24 can't come soon enough! :D

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years

The reasonwhy TDK got so much attention for the Oscars back in 2008 was because of Heath Ledger's death. TDKR didn't have any dead actors this time, hence why it didn't get the same recognition as its predecessor.

I'm actually glad that Les Mis is on the list because it was Universal Studios' 100th anniversary, so it's important for them to make a movie that's just as memorable as JAWS and E.T. to celebrate that year and beat Paramount Pictures, who was also celebrating its 100th anniversary. The Lorax, Battleship, Snow White & the Huntsman, Savages, Ted, and the Bourne Legacy all failed to reach the same statuses as those Universal movies I've just mentioned, so Les Mis was their last chance to do just that. Regardless if it loses to Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty, the important thing is that Universal has succeeded in making a movie on their special year to be nominated for the oscars.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
The reasonwhy TDK got so much attention for the Oscars back in 2008 was because of Heath Ledger's death. TDKR didn't have any dead actors this time, hence why it didn't get the same recognition as its predecessor.

I'm actually glad that Les Mis is on the list because it was Universal Studios' 100th anniversary, so it's important for them to make a movie that's just as memorable as JAWS and E.T. to celebrate that year and beat Paramount Pictures, who was also celebrating its 100th anniversary. The Lorax, Battleship, Snow White & the Huntsman, Savages, Ted, and the Bourne Legacy all failed to reach the same statuses as those Universal movies I've just mentioned, so Les Mis was their last chance to do just that. Regardless if it loses to Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty, the important thing is that Universal has succeeded in making a movie on their special year to be nominated for the oscars.
The good thing about the Oscar ceremony is that music from E.T. is almost always played at some point. I was always look forward to that

Years
Anyone else see the parody posters for the nominations?

Spoiler:

I got a good laugh.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I have a feeling that Lincoln or Silver Lining's Playbook will win Best Picture, but I'm leaning more towards Playbook mainly because it was nominated in four+ categories. Then again, I think Daniel Day Lewis will beat out Bradley Cooper for Best Actor by a long shot, as unfortunate as that may be. Lewis deserves it, I suppose. Lawrence will steal Best Actress, I feel like Hathaway deserves her nomination for Best Supporting Actress and will take it as well.

Years
I have a feeling that Lincoln or Silver Lining's Playbook will win Best Picture, but I'm leaning more towards Playbook mainly because it was nominated in four+ categories. Then again, I think Daniel Day Lewis will beat out Bradley Cooper for Best Actor by a long shot, as unfortunate as that may be. Lewis deserves it, I suppose. Lawrence will steal Best Actress, I feel like Hathaway deserves her nomination for Best Supporting Actress and will take it as well.

^ Pretty much everything in this post here.

Bigelow needs to be there in the Directing category. I can't believe that.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
^ Pretty much everything in this post here.

Bigelow needs to be there in the Directing category. I can't believe that.
She and Affleck being shafted are such a let-down. I mean, consider Argo! Look at how many awards it was nominated for and has won the past year; how does the man not get nominated for a feat like that? Huge disappointment.

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Him and Affleck being shafted are such a let-down.
Him and Affleck being shafted
Him and Affleck
Oh dear. Ms Bigelow is not going to be happy to hear you say that!
Spoiler:

And I know I'm in the minority, but I'm actually kinda glad Affleck wasn't nominated. I'd much rather have Haneke, Zeitlin and/or Russell over him. But... like I say, minority opinion!

Years
Anyone else going to see any of these 12 or so movies that they haven't seen? I'm trying to find Beasts of the Southern Wild which I'm pretty sure is out, but that's all I know at the moment. Don't movies up for best picture usually get released for rental or whatnot before the awards?

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
  • When I first looked over the nominees list, the first thought that came to mind was, quote, HOW THE F* DID WEAVER GET IN, unquote. I could've seen Nicole Kidman, Ann Dowd, freakin' Samantha Barks get in, but this one was soo left field.

• Second of all, I love love love the love for Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild. I don't mind Affleck's or Bigelow's omissions over the films' respective directors.

• Bradley Cooper can finally call himself an Oscar nominee now. So can Hugh Jackman, as well as Adele.

• Moonrise Kingdom gets little love. :( It would've been nice to see it get a nod in some places (including Best Picture).

• WRECK IT RALPHHHHHH

• The Master was also snubbed in Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, among others. I hate that.

• I'm rooting for Amy Adams to win, even though Hathaway has it in the bag. I -hated- Sally Field in Lincoln.

• I'm rooting for the SLP actors to win in Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor, but I'm FINGERCROSSING for a Joaquin Phoenix win.

Also, hai fowlks

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
  • When I first looked over the nominees list, the first thought that came to mind was, quote, HOW THE F* DID WEAVER GET IN, unquote. I could've seen Nicole Kidman, Ann Dowd, freakin' Samantha Barks get in, but this one was soo left field.

• Second of all, I love love love the love for Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild. I don't mind Affleck's or Bigelow's omissions over the films' respective directors.

• Bradley Cooper can finally call himself an Oscar nominee now. So can Hugh Jackman, as well as Adele.

• Moonrise Kingdom gets little love. :( It would've been nice to see it get a nod in some places (including Best Picture).

• WRECK IT RALPHHHHHH

• The Master was also snubbed in Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, among others. I hate that.

• I'm rooting for Amy Adams to win, even though Hathaway has it in the bag. I -hated- Sally Field in Lincoln.

• I'm rooting for the SLP actors to win in Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor, but I'm FINGERCROSSING for a Joaquin Phoenix win.

Also, hai fowlks
Oh yeah, Moonrise Kingdom. Forgot about that. They only filled up 9 of the 10 Best Picture spots. What gives?

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
Oh yeah, Moonrise Kingdom. Forgot about that. They only filled up 9 of the 10 Best Picture spots. What gives?

Films need to earn 5% of first-place votes to be nominated in Best Picture (so it is possible for 5 to 10 films to be nominated per year). I guess Moonrise Kingdom missed the boat on that one.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Have I ever told you how much I love you, Rest? You even know the 5% rule for BP nominations! You're my PC Oscar soulmate! And you also hated Sally Field in Lincoln which is awesome.

Back