• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Regional Inspiration

Years
I think it's about time we discussed this again, many Pokemon regions have taken inspiration from countries and locations in our world, e.g. Kalos from France and Alola from Hawaii. What do you guys think of the inspiration behind the Pokemon regions? What's your favourite? And what real world location would you base a region off?

Discuss :3

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I'll always hold out hope for a region taking some inspiration from my home region of Cumbria, England. So many mountains and lakes - you know if somewhere's so picturesque a good part of the middle section of Star Wars Episode VII is filmed there, that it's god damn picturesque - would make for an interesting map, particularly if you could then get inspiration from other lake-filled areas around the world for example;
The Great Lakes, perhaps with a Chicago-substitute an a returning Battle Subway?
Lake Victoria inspiring a lake so large you have to get a boat across it - so then there's a big boat like most regions have,
A part based on the Aral Sea - complete with weird pokémon due to the ecological damage, and a mad scientist lab (perhaps because they want to shoehorn Mewtwo into another game, or bring back Genesect, or make another weird pokémon).
I know they technically did the whole lakes thing with Sinnoh but c'mon, they were just identical expanses of water tiles (Although I did like the whole forcibly evaporating a lake thing), with the advancing technologies the possibilities are endless.

EDIT: as for my favourites - either Hoenn because of its difference to what came before, or Kanto-Johto as a continuous whole because, unsurprisingly, it feels so complete and has varying landscapes without feeling like they shoehorned things in without respect to how climate actually works (I'm looking at you, Unova desert).

Last edited:
Years
My favorite one is kanto/johto or sinnoh. I like their very japanese design and lore.

They should do one based in Mexico. It would be a very tropical and hot region.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
holy shit there are so many places that could be amazing! I want India, China, Northern Canada (ie, every town is igloos and the only pokémon is spheal), and Rome, and omg so many places that are not America. Cmon Game Freak, let's do something new this time!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
holy **** there are so many places that could be amazing! I want India, China, Northern Canada (ie, every town is igloos and the only pokémon is spheal), and Rome, and omg so many places that are not America. Cmon Game Freak, let's do something new this time!

Rome would surely see the return of the underground, no? Just far more interesting to look at because it would be based on the idea of all these archeological marvels waiting to be excavated in ancient cities like Rome.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Rome would surely see the return of the underground, no? Just far more interesting to look at because it would be based on the idea of all these archeological marvels waiting to be excavated in ancient cities like Rome.
ohmygosh please yes! underground was a pretty cool feature, I'd really like to see what they could too if they totally elaborated upon it, especially in an amazing setting like Rome - or maybe the Indus Valley? I think I already said I'd love India as well.

then again we'll probably see the underground back anyways since I'm fairly certain DPPt remakes are in the works tbh.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
Australia! There are so many animals that could be inspiration for Pokemon. Or New Zealand, because its beautiful as well.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Australia! There are so many animals that could be inspiration for Pokemon. Or New Zealand, because its beautiful as well.
If they're ever gonna confirm the theory that Kangaskhan is a grown up Cubone (which I really hope because that's a really cute theory haha) that would be a good place to do it! And also, I agree there are a lot of cool animals there that could inspire some new Pokémon as well!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Now this is a region I can get behind

Obviously we would have to have Beartic as well - perhaps there could be a little bit of saying "hey screw reality this is pokémon!" and having Piplup as a starter again because Penguins would probably survive Canada if they weren't confined to the southern hemisphere.

Back