• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So about those double enters.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
I'm not quite certain what happened recently that caused it, I've heard that we've been switching up some things about the way posts are handled behind the screens. I've noticed however that any amount of enters beyond one get compressed down to one...
Which makes sense if theres a post with six or seven needless spaces that just takes up room to no effect.
However a side effect of removing more than the three we were currently limited too is that it messes up post CSS, stops a certain amount of post formatting as PC isn't a word processor and as far as i'm aware there isn't a way to change line spacing in your post otherwise, and has caused quite a bit of strife, especially in the heavy writing community that is the RPT or that of FF&W as many peoples css has become borked and requires a complete debugging and possible rewriting.

So all in all, if this change was intentional I implore you to change it, and if it was not I wish you godspeed in the fixing of it.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Sorry about this; it's the result of our half-finished implementation of some changes to the post editor. We're working on getting it completed and tidied up which should hopefully remedy the problems people are having. If you have any threads with issues please do go ahead and link them here so we can check out what's going on with the parsing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I think this issue messed up some CSS I've been working on for a few weeks now. It's a scrapbox thread so only HQ Staff can see it (I think). I was hoping to have that finished this weekend but I'm afraid that working around this issue is going to cause problems when it gets fixed. Any ETA or recommendation on what I can do about that? I have several plans that require the thread to be ready for next week.

This has also broken my other threads that use CSS. Since I use PC to host my fan game information, it's a bit of a pain that all the formatting has gone wonky. If it can't be fixed soon I'll have to ask for the thread to be closed.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I can't speak for the devs but I think fixing this should be considered priority. Styling our threads is an important part of PC and many of us like to be creative with them so this will definitely discourage us from creating the type of threads we love the most. I hope we can see a fix for this real soon!
Agreed! Not to sound presumptuous, but I think any "half-finished implementation" could be un-implemented until completed, especially if it disrupts the service.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
"tough shit"
So the thousands of threads and posts using CSS and basic line breaks created over the years no longer work as they should? Don't you think that's a little inefficient? Are you saying that every time I want multiple line breaks in my threads now I need to write CSS to do it? While I think it's a positive to avoid using line breaks in actual web development; threads limit users to CSS and BB code markup. If those two languages don't play nicely with one another it's going to be a lot more annoying for users. This just causes further difficulty for people without a web development background.

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but I don't understand the removal and it's broken threads all over the forum without prior notice, proper solution to restore them or explanation.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Full disclosure — it's actually this way because that's how it's going to work in the new UI. There's no "easy" solution to it that doesn't break things for a loop. The editor in that outputs HTML, and full linebreaking and paragraphing are supported from the start.
So can you revert it now and wait with changing that until the new UI is up?

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
As a reminder, this thread is meant for civil discussion about the issue. We're all friends here after all right?

Now, I can understand the attempt to simplify things. Reducing the amount of garble will be beneficial in the long run. However any further discoveries relevant to the issue should certainly be discussed. Whether that be new issues or possible workarounds (such as the spacer command above.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Sorry for all of the trouble, friends. We didn't realize how much this broke on the live site. We've reverted the changes and everything should be back to how it was before.
Thank you 🤙

I know it's a pain to handle legacy software when creating new updates but content and usability are more important to users than a pretty user interface. Source: The success of Reddit & Facebook

Back