• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking Tutorials [Video Series]

waw

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
Anthroyd,

Is possible to set up a shot for Pokemon using this same method?
(tutorial 17)

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Anthroyd,

Is possible to set up a shot for Pokemon using this same method?
(tutorial 17)
I think you made a typo somewhere...
Do you mean a PokeCenter? If so, then you can use the command special 0x0 to heal all of the Pokemon in the player's party.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 15, 2016
I'm updating this thread to alert that an update video has been completed and released!
Hi bud, thanks a lot for making all of these tutorials! I just watched #0, #1 and the second one, and they are really helpful. I will watch more of them when i can, so i can slowly learn more about romhacking.

I watched your latest update video too, good luck man! These are the tutorials that will be used in later years too, videos won't dissapear.. Thank you.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Hi bud, thanks a lot for making all of these tutorials! I just watched #0, #1 and the second one, and they are really helpful. I will watch more of them when i can, so i can slowly learn more about romhacking.

I watched your latest update video too, good luck man! These are the tutorials that will be used in later years too, videos won't dissapear.. Thank you.

Glad I could help! Thanks for the words.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 1, 2016
Looking forward to more from you. Your series made getting into this incredibly approachable. If I ever release a hack, you'll be the first line on the credits, that's fore sure.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Looking forward to more from you. Your series made getting into this incredibly approachable. If I ever release a hack, you'll be the first line on the credits, that's fore sure.

Thanks for your words. Always appreciated.

I'm updating this thread to alert that the twenty-third tutorial has been completed and released!

FSBS

Defunct
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019
Excellent videos. I really wish these had been out when I first tried mapping; you were dead-on when you said we've all made some embarrassing maps. I can't even go back a year before finding ridiculously awful maps, ones I personally thought were great. Back to the drawing board every time.
Anyways, you said earlier in this thread you don't recommend adding maps to A-Map; instead, overwriting old maps. Why is that? Could you elaborate?

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Excellent videos. I really wish these had been out when I first tried mapping; you were dead-on when you said we've all made some embarrassing maps. I can't even go back a year before finding ridiculously awful maps, ones I personally thought were great. Back to the drawing board every time.
Anyways, you said earlier in this thread you don't recommend adding maps to A-Map; instead, overwriting old maps. Why is that? Could you elaborate?

Adding new map banks / entries into AdvancedMap will result in glitches due to repointing errors, in my experience. You won't find a single ROM hack that has additional maps along with the original maps. Every gen III ROM hack is made the same way; over wright the original maps' tiles, drag all of the old events somewhere where the player can't reach them in game, change all old person event movement types to "Hidden," then start anew.

I regret not discussing this process in my first few videos. It would have saved me some time but meh. :/
Thanks for your praise! :)

FSBS

Defunct
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019
Adding new map banks / entries into AdvancedMap will result in glitches due to repointing errors, in my experience. You won't find a single ROM hack that has additional maps along with the original maps. Every gen III ROM hack is made the same way; over wright the original maps' tiles, drag all of the old events somewhere where the player can't reach them in game, change all old person event movement types to "Hidden," then start anew.

I regret not discussing this process in my first few videos. It would have saved me some time but meh. :/
Thanks for your praise! :)

I find it hard to believe, considering massive projects like Liquid Crystal, but what do I know? It's a valuable piece of information nonetheless, and something to consider as I continue learning how to map.

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
Years
Adding new map banks / entries into AdvancedMap will result in glitches due to repointing errors, in my experience.
This isn't true at all. Advance map 1.92 repoints banks and map headers correctly. These errors you speak of most likely stem from using 1.95 (which never left its beta stage and is buggy) and the hacker's own inexperience.

You won't find a single ROM hack that has additional maps along with the original maps. Every gen III ROM hack is made the same way; over wright the original maps' tiles, drag all of the old events somewhere where the player can't reach them in game, change all old person event movement types to "Hidden," then start anew.
Not all hacks.
JPAN's engine patch removes every single event (except warps) on all maps, giving you a blank canvas to work with, so any hack that uses this patch does not follow this arduous task you speak of.
As for new maps, see my previous point. They can be added correctly with 1.92 or manual hex repointing. I'm sure a lot of hacks have additional maps added. Sometimes you just need more indoor maps. (In my case)

Back