• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Awesome Map Editor (AME)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
Oh, this looks very nice. One question, will it be a bit more beginner-friendly than Advance Map? Warps and map connections seem to be needlessly complicated.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
Oh, this looks very nice. One question, will it be a bit more beginner-friendly than Advance Map? Warps and map connections seem to be needlessly complicated.

I don't exactly know how could them be even easier than they actually are, it's just looking and writing the correct number for both bank and map (c'mon, it can take you 10 minutes as much to understand the working process). The only viable facility I barely see is an option to fit map connections properly.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
I don't exactly know how could them be even easier than they actually are, it's just looking and writing the correct number for both bank and map (c'mon, it can take you 10 minutes as much to understand the working process). The only viable facility I barely see is an option to fit map connections properly.

Well, for one, Map connections are very difficult to properly line up, and warps... Yeah, understanding the process is easy enough, pretty much the same as in Zelda Classic, but actually *using* them is something else entirely, since even when seemingly set up properly, the warps seem to arbitrarily decide they don't want to work, at times. I know I'm not the only person who has had this problem, too. Just saying, if something *looks* that easy, it shouldn't randomly decide it doesn't want to function.

Last edited:

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
Well, for one, Map connections are very difficult to properly line up, and warps... Yeah, understanding the process is easy enough, pretty much the same as in Zelda Classic, but actually *using* them is something else entirely, since even when seemingly set up properly, the warps seem to arbitrarily decide they don't want to work, at times. I know I'm not the only person who has had this problem, too. Just saying, if something *looks* that easy, it shouldn't randomly decide it doesn't want to function.

I'm completely agree with you in the fact that map connections are too difficult to set up properly. About warps... it depends of the situation, sometimes it isn't simply that specific warp, but also a lot of them don't work (it will keep failing even when you use commands). In that case, it's not a matter of understanding, but an actual bug (caused by the program, I know, it makes it practically unusable). If not, sincerely, it's just to set the location and the number of the warp.

Last edited:

pokedude9

Creator (with Diego) of AME and ASE
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
Hello guys and gals!

Just a little reminder to show you that this project is nowhere being dead. We recently created a repository for this editor on github and you're invited to starr it in order to follow the process of development! Also, we are still accepting ideas for features, but make sure they are not listed in the TODO.md file on github already. =)

Now an announcement on my side: I'll try to release a cross-platform scripting-editor alongside with AME. It will go hand-in-hand with AME and features a lot of things you might've been missing in XSE or PSKV, but that's stuff for the future right now!

Regards,
Pokedude

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Hey guys! Today I bring you some good news, and a screenshot!
B0DhAWX.png

The news, if you couldn't already tell, is that we've finished quite a lot of the map editor in the new Qt/C++ implementation and wanted to show it off! There's a whole lot of displaying code at the moment but no editing code yet.

One of the more interesting things you might have noticed was the inclusion of the routes around Pallet Town in grayscale. This is part of the new method of editing connections we're working on for this program! Instead of having to go through a menu to set the connections manually, you'll soon be able to just drag and drop maps next to one another and slide them around, all from within the map view! The connecting maps also show up within the entity editor, allowing you to place fake NPCs out of bounds so that they don't pop in when you travel through the connection!

Let us know of any features you'd like to see in AME or any suggestions you have for us.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years
I'm glad with the progress of the tool!

I would like to verify if our previous suggestions, most particularly the ones which you previously said to be featured, which are not specifically listed in the "To-do list" are still being considered? Thanks!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 23, 2020
This looks really cool, a much better user friendly approach than A-map! how much longer do you think before we will see the first download release?

Years
This looks promising. I wasn?t really a big fan of Advanced Map and this is way better and more user-friendly. What do you think, how much time does it take, to finish this project?

pokedude9

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
Well I am sorry to spam this thread, but don't forget that I contributed pretty much to this editor too, the entire base for loading and displaying map data, to be precise. Not sure if this is an attack against me personally, sorry if it wasn't.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 3, 2016
Idea/Suggestion:

Player's view mode- Displays a movable in-game-screen-sized box inside the map view
Other details that you can think of but here are they anyways:
- Ofcourse the box also displays a sprite(or any) telling the player's position in-game
- The outside area of the box being a little bit dimmed will help lessen getting a brain cancer
- Being able to edit the map while this is on may be of help too

Good luck on this project!

RB11

Creator of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Advance
Years
This looks really good. I'm tired of A-map atm, too plain.
One thing I would like to see implemented is the triple layered hack, as I can't do on my computer.
Anyways, good luck!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 9, 2016
How do I open this? It extracted as a .pro file and asks me what program I want to open it with...

pokedude9

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
Hey Louband9,

this is a QMake file which can be opened with the QtCreator IDE. This and all the other files are unfortuantely all development files so you cannot run the program without compiling it first. Why not wait for the first official Alpha version? We'll announce it when we're confident that the editor is usable.

Best regards,
Pokedude

Back