The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Fan Games Hub
Discussion Pokémon game making advice

Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Old October 4th, 2017 (8:43 AM).

Nature: Timid
    Hey guys, I have something a bit different to ask this time. Lately, I haven't really been able to find time to do this much, I really feel like the only thing I've "learned" is just common event stuff and getting used to the tiles - and well, I just really like the concept for the game, I do feel like it could turn into something fun and crazy - but despite all the really cool stuff you guys put together to make this thing, I still feel really intimidated by doing things.

Mainly stuff like planning out a world, coming together with a story, and trying to make animations for the attacks which I'm definitely going to need.

And something else is that I've been using the trial version of RPG Maker (since I had just bought ACE - right before learning about this stuff) and I guess I'm kind of on the fence if I should buy XP just for a game that might not even work out (despite really wanting it too).

Guess what I'm really asking from all this is that do you guys have any advice how to make this whole game making process feel possible?

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 7th, 2017 (6:37 AM).
    Pokémon Island Creator

Make a shorter game like this. You will learn a lot.
      Old March 24th, 2018 (11:32 PM).
      ~K Y E P H A~

Nature: Relaxed
        Use templates and learn from the structure they use too, I'd also suggest gathering a team to help you work on the project!
        Old March 28th, 2018 (3:23 AM). Edited March 28th, 2018 by Sersch7.

If you are working alone and this is your first project, try to keep it simple and short. Include the best ideas you have and try to complete it. Then you can see where you go from there, start a new Pokemon game, making a game that is not Pokemon related, or just extending your project.
          Old March 30th, 2018 (1:53 PM).

do what you can do then get a team
            Old March 31st, 2018 (3:18 AM).

Hi guys I am a 13 year old boy and I am developing a pokemon game named PokemonGen which is gonna be the first 3D pokemon game for PC. The Trailer is out. so if you give it a view that will be great. Link --->
              by searching on youtube "pokemon gen game trailer "
              Old April 2nd, 2018 (12:16 AM).

In which emulator we can play pokemon green remix
                Old April 11th, 2018 (2:46 AM). Edited April 11th, 2018 by Panamanian.

I feel like something that kills a lot of hacks is trying to use custom tiles.

Tiles are so time-consuming and don't progress a hack to completion the way scripts and mapping do.

I bet if people just used the default tiles, we would see a lot more hacks completed.
                  Old April 18th, 2018 (4:04 PM).

I'm working on my first game as well, and am new to game design. It seems overwhelming at times as I'm the only one working on it (and will probably keep it this way). But above all, I just love telling stories. I may not be experienced in making games, but I know a crap ton about crafting stories.

Fan games are essentially that: telling a story through a digital interactive medium. My advice as a storyteller and a filmmaker is this: nail your characters and your story before you even start with any of the actual game coding/scripting/ mappings. You should make the space fit the story, NOT the story fit the space.

A fully realized story makes all of the other steps much easier and more fluid. It makes it less intimidating too because you know exactly what you need to do and all of the floundering nervousness gets eliminated. Hell, I've spent months in pre-production on a script before even touching a camera because if you get to set and you don't have a plan and understanding of your endgame, your just wasting the studio's money. I am coming at this from a filmmaking perspective though, so not everything is applicable, but for the most part, it is. It's what made me feel not worried at all about my own game development despite the fact that I only learned how to code this year.

But if you need someone to bounce ideas off of or just talk things through to calm your nerves, I'm always down to lend an ear.
                    Old May 16th, 2018 (3:14 AM).
                    GameDev

Nature: Bold
                      Game design can be super overwhelming and a single project can eat up years of your life at a time. (speaking from experience here).

Keep it small til you're super comfortable with making games from start to finish. With each new project experiment with new mechanics and ideas you can carry over to a future project.
                      Available on Mobile & PC Platforms!
                      Weekly Development Updates: www.yotesgames.com
                      Download the Latest Demo: Battle Gem Ponies (Pre-Alpha Ver. 7)

Old May 16th, 2018 (7:10 AM).
                      Free supporter

I think a lot of people have the right idea about starting out. Generally speaking, people tend to lose motivation to continue making their game when they encounter strange bugs or large hurdles which they don’t know how to overcome.

My suggestion for new ROM hackers is to avoid learning ASM and C unless you are interested in programming/have programmed before. A lot of these low level programming concepts aren’t easy to understand and learning takes effort. Even after you’ve got the basics down, it won’t yield much results wise until you become pretty proficient at it.

So stick to mapping, scripting, patches and misc stuff until you’ve gotten a general idea of the process. From there you can make a decent game, and if you are interested in going further down the rabbit hole, you can.

Quick Reply