VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
I found a list of some of the craziest pieces of fashion throughout recorded history. Naturally, I had to share these agonizing ordeals with the history club! If you visit the link do tell me which do you think is the most horrible? I say it be the lotus shoes hands down! The thought of them has always sent chills down my spine.

Also if you HAD to wear one then which do you put on? I guess I would go with those really long sleeves from the dark ages, bliaut or something or other.

https://m.ranker.com/list/crazy-fashion-trends-from-history/lisa-waugh

Name: Narcissus
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

I got Haxorus on "What Dragon-Type Pokemon are you?" https://quotev.com/quiz/5077163

TheGhostHunter

Cupid's Partner-in-Crime

Age 20
Female
Ryme City
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
587 posts
3.2 Years
I found a list of some of the craziest pieces of fashion throughout recorded history. Naturally, I had to share these agonizing ordeals with the history club! If you visit the link do tell me which do you think is the most horrible? I say it be the lotus shoes hands down! The thought of them has always sent chills down my spine.

Also if you HAD to wear one then which do you put on? I guess I would go with those really long sleeves from the dark ages, bliaut or something or other.

https://m.ranker.com/list/crazy-fashion-trends-from-history/lisa-waugh
If I had to wear one of these (and still get through a door), I would wear the corset, since it slims me down a bit (have some rather embarrassing flab that I've been working to improve).
"The air was filled with phantoms, wandering hither and tither in restless haste, and moaning as they went. Every one of them wore chains like Marley's Ghost; some few (they might be guilty governments) were linked together; none were free."

- Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

Name: Tombstone
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage[/align]

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
I think the appearance of the corset is quite cute. I think some of the photographs preserved of women from the day is just enchanting! But my, my, they seem like they would feel uncomfortable!

I got Haxorus on "What Dragon-Type Pokemon are you?" https://quotev.com/quiz/5077163

TheGhostHunter

Cupid's Partner-in-Crime

Age 20
Female
Ryme City
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
587 posts
3.2 Years
Women's History Month

As many of you know, March is not only Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's Day, but it is also Women's History Month. During this time, I will shine a spotlight from today until March 31st on female historical figures throughout history.

Today's Spotlight: Ida B. Wells

Everyone knows the story of Rosa Parks, but what if I told you that a similar story happened to a woman decades before on a train? That woman would be Ida B. Wells, a woman who had helped to found NAACP and risked her life to expose the horrific practice of lynching within the United States.

Wells had worked from the age of 16 when her parents had died from Yellow Fever to keep her siblings from becoming wards of the state. When she was thrown from the train where she had refused to give up her seat for a white passenger, she had sued the train company and won. After the lynching of her friend, Tommie Moss over a game of marbles which had caused an exodus of African Americans from Mephis (Wells stayed and purchased a firearm), she felt it was about time to expose the true horrors of lynching. Out of this came a pamphlet titled Southern Horrors which had debunked the idea that lynchings were in revenge for rape, but instead stated that the motives for lynching could be for something that is rather innocuous today as interracial couples.

It is evident that this pamphlet had enraged people when a mob had burned the headquarters of her newspaper to the ground and threatened to kill her if she should return to Memphis. Not wanting to spark a race riot, she had never returned for Memphis and continued working to expose lynching for the next fourty years of her life, in one instance, pretending to be a widow and family of the victim for better access.

Wells had died at the age of 68, her autobiography unfinished.

Stay tuned for a new spotlight every day of March!
"The air was filled with phantoms, wandering hither and tither in restless haste, and moaning as they went. Every one of them wore chains like Marley's Ghost; some few (they might be guilty governments) were linked together; none were free."

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
I have been very curious about Andean civilization of late. I was previously more familiar with Mesoamerican civilization through the mythology of the Mayans and Aztecs, however I have recently been reading about the Incas and I want to continue to learn about the Andes. I think I have found a new favorite period of history as I begin to research the Land of the Four Quarters/ The Inca Empire! If anyone has any reading material to recommend about their culture prior to Pisaro then I'd love some help finding out more about their world, epecially their religion.

I know they used elaborate mumificiation processes for starters. I believe they also passed on their history and religion through oral traditions from music to reciting poems, rather than a writing system, and sadly so much of their traditions have gotten lost for posterity since the Spanish invaded them.

The Incas seemed to be a visionary society in many ways from what I can however, with highways and food storage systems with freeze drying processes.

They also came across to me as rather dipplomatic. They expanded their empire with a grand army, but would temper battle with negotiations, trade and made efforts to assimilate with their neighbors.

TheGhostHunter

Cupid's Partner-in-Crime

Age 20
Female
Ryme City
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
587 posts
3.2 Years
(Sorry for being inactive with school and whatnot)

So, yesterday was National Paranormal Day. A day for all things spooky and scary. So, being a club dedicated to history, I have a question for the members.

Do you live near a haunted historical place? Detail your experiences, if comfortable enough. If you don't live near a haunted historical place, did you visit one? If so, detail your experience.

In regards to living close to one, my High School was about a five minute drive from Bushy Run (French and Indian War Battlefield for non-American members). I had never experienced anything there, but I did visit Gettysburg multiple times, mainly because I had family close to it. I never had anything too crazy happen while down there, but I will let you in on one experience. I was running one of those ghost hunting apps and I had a navy blue sweatshirt on for some college (important detail for later). I don't really remember the name of the guy I was talking to, so I'll just call him Tom. I don't really much about Tom's backstory except for a few things. For one, Tom said that he was from Buffalo, NY and had asked me for bread (most likely a case of mistaken identity due to my sweatshirt). Tom was a nice guy though, and didn't really follow me home.

MysticalNinetales

Age 19
Female
Canada
Seen 23 Minutes Ago
Posted 19 Hours Ago
725 posts
2.1 Years
I've never been to any haunted historical site! Although I know that there are a plethora in my city and I'd like to go to one. (I must admit I've been way too afraid to go anywhere near a haunted house!)

TheGhostHunter

Cupid's Partner-in-Crime

Age 20
Female
Ryme City
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
587 posts
3.2 Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYw52Gs3pss

Yesterday, I had found a video from a favorite YouTuber of mine, Rachel Oates. The video describes that life of a woman in Ancient Greece known as Hypatia, a woman who was known for describing complex topics such as science and philosophy in simple terms to the general public, along with her personal thoughts on her.

What are your thoughts on Hypatia? I think that she was a wonderful woman who is unfortunately forgotten to history.

Edit: You will have to click the link since playback isn't working for some reason)

CodeHelmet

Banned

Male
Hayward
Seen June 9th, 2019
Posted June 9th, 2019
3,379 posts
2.6 Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYw52Gs3pss

Yesterday, I had found a video from a favorite YouTuber of mine, Rachel Oates. The video describes that life of a woman in Ancient Greece known as Hypatia, a woman who was known for describing complex topics such as science and philosophy in simple terms to the general public, along with her personal thoughts on her.

What are your thoughts on Hypatia? I think that she was a wonderful woman who is unfortunately forgotten to history.

Edit: You will have to click the link since playback isn't working for some reason)

This help? As for the video, its certainly eye raising. When I was learning Ancient Greece, she certainly didn't come up(be it 5th/6th Grade or 10th Grade World History).

TheGhostHunter

Cupid's Partner-in-Crime

Age 20
Female
Ryme City
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
587 posts
3.2 Years

This help? As for the video, its certainly eye raising. When I was learning Ancient Greece, she certainly didn't come up(be it 5th/6th Grade or 10th Grade World History).
Yes. For some reason, it didn't work for me for some reason. :p As for the content, I had never really heard of her in any history for philosophy courses until I saw her video. Certainly a unique person that should be known by more people.

CodeHelmet

Banned

Male
Hayward
Seen June 9th, 2019
Posted June 9th, 2019
3,379 posts
2.6 Years
Yes. For some reason, it didn't work for me for some reason. :p As for the content, I had never really heard of her in any history for philosophy courses until I saw her video. Certainly a unique person that should be known by more people.
When linking to youtube videos, you can use the Youtube tags and then copy what comes after the "=" or in your video's case : fYw52Gs3pss. That'll basically embed the video into your post for others to see.

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
This is an interesting website I discovered called Mad Monarchs. It catalogs royals throughout history who exhibited outrageous behavior, it features kings, queens, princes, emperors, tsars, shahs and more.

http://madmonarchs.guusbeltman.nl/madmonarchs/madmon.htm

One of the figures I found interesting to read about was the 17th century Korean Prince Sado, who would come to be known as the "Rice Box" prince. I wasn't previously familiar with this historical figure, but was intrigued by the name. He had a vicious temper and killed many people in his madness. He is also a tragic figure because he started out as a hardworking, studious, shy child who would have done anything to have the love and approval of his parents. It was sad watching him slowly spiral out of control into this delusional, obsessive, violent person. I think his father's incessant psychological abuse sent him over the edge, and under better circumstances he may not have turned out bad.

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
Hi Guys,

TheGhostHunter and I have agreed to trade clubs. She's the owner of the Dollhouse right now, and I am going to carry on with the history club the best I can in her stead for the time being.

A question for members I have this month that is, If you were to be sent back in time, where would you like to go?

This is one I had to think on for some time. There are many times and places that I enjoy reading about, yet I would probably not last in said time and place for one day.

I have considered a number of cultures and think I will take my chances in ancient Greece, but not just anywhere or time, I want to go to Mycenae prior to the Dorian invasions, referably as an aristocrat. Mycenae has been on my mind a lot lately because I am writing about the Trojan war, and this is where King Agamemnon was from in myth.

We know from the excavated weapons that the Myceneans were warrior people, which I am not keen on, but they also had art and music, theater, fashion, games, complex language, sports matches to watch, fertile lands and gold, delicious food, trade, there were houses with running water, pipes and draining systems, and women actually had it better there than they did in the classical era from what I had read. Women weren't kept secluded, but worked alongside men, men and women got equal food rations, women ran households, could go dancing on the river banks until dawn and often were exalted religious leaders in society. Don't get me wrong, it's still a patriarchy, but there are definitely way worse places I could end up as a girl.

QOTM: Where would YOU time travel too?

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
I'm going to update for a new question of the month.

Any favorite leaders from history? Kings, presidents, revolutionaries, you name it.

I will answer the question for myself in the spoiler tag. I'd love to hear your answers?

Spoiler:

I just have to say, as I become more familiar with the Ottoman empire I really love Sultana Kosem.

She is like the real Cinderella, but came from even humbler origins. It took a lot of courage to endure what she did, being captured and made a slave, losing her family and freedom, having to go to a distant land in poverty with no rights and learn a new religion and customs. Then she goes from rags to riches when the sultan falls for her and marries her, like something out of fairytale. She must have been very impressive. Nobody disputed her intelligence and charisma.

I think she used the influence she had in a noble way, getting her husband the sultan to end the practice of fraticide in the Ottoman empire. She loved her children, protected them like a mother lion, helped place them on the throne, and counseled restraint, tempering their extremes when she could.

Even as a queen she still had great adversities to overcome and suffered heavy personal losses, her husband dying suddenly when he was still in his 20s, losing her position and income, having to survive the reign of multiple mad and cruel kings, but she kept fighting, and played the game of thrones overall pretty good. She's like the real Margery Tyrell.

What I loved most about Kosem is that she was a great benefactress to her people, irrigation projects, the construction of mosques,religous tolerance, stabilizing the currency, visited prisons, patronizing the arts, fair taxes, she organized disaster relief effort. She was really ahead of her time, and honestly I think whe she was regent she was better ruler than both of her sons. The people were heart-broken at her death. She really cared about them, and not just about advancement and the finer things.

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
The Renaissance is a period in history that will always fascinate us.

Recently the creative minds at MIT constructed model of a bridge using designs by the genius Leonardo Da Vinci. Da Vinci envisioned a bridge to Constantinople so modern that 16th century minds were hardly able to conceive of such a feat of architecture. It would have been the longest bridge of it's day and age. Plans for this beautiful bridge were ultimately rejected by the sultan of the Ottoman empire.

Engineers of today however through geometry reveal that Leonardo's revolutionary bridge would have been fully-functional. And so the artist had the last laugh.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a29426711/da-vinci-bridge/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I hope that others will find this walk through history just as interesting as I did.

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
I found an interesting documentary The Romanovs: History of the Russian dynasty, beginning with the first Romanov Czar Mikhail ascent as a boy in 1613 after the fall of Boris Gudunov. I am into episode 4 now of this 8 part series and Catherine the Great and Peter II are entering the picture. The producers StarmediaTV were have been generous enough to upload their entire special in English to YouTube for free educational viewing if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwGzY25TNHPBfaoOR3pXw3VyBvmXljeio

MysticalNinetales

Age 19
Female
Canada
Seen 23 Minutes Ago
Posted 19 Hours Ago
725 posts
2.1 Years
I found an interesting documentary The Romanovs: History of the Russian dynasty, beginning with the first Romanov Czar Mikhail ascent as a boy in 1613 after the fall of Boris Gudunov. I am into episode 4 now of this 8 part series and Catherine the Great and Peter II are entering the picture. The producers StarmediaTV were have been generous enough to upload their entire special in English to YouTube for free educational viewing if anyone is interested.
This series looks delightful! As someone with Russian heritage, I'm fascinated to learn more about the distant history of the country and its former royal family!

TheGhostHunter

Cupid's Partner-in-Crime

Age 20
Female
Ryme City
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
587 posts
3.2 Years
This sounds interesting. I'll have to watch it when I have the time.

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
Okay I am getting into the last episode of this enthralling 8 part series. I thought the best monarch was probably Catherine the Great. I am still in awe of how much she accomplished for Russia, I would argue that she eclipses even Queen Elizabeth I of England the Virgin Queen. Russia has a history of so many strong women on the throne like Catherine the Great, and Peter I's daughter and sister Elizabeth and Sofia. MysticalNinetales should feel lucky and proud of her Russian roots! Maybe you even have a little royal blood in you Lina. Who knows?

My top 3 favourites Romanovs are Catherine I the Great, Alexander I 'the Blessed' who fought Napoleon, and Alexander II 'The Liberator' who freed the serfs.

I also want to give an honorable mention to Feodor III. I think he would have been remembered as Feodor the Great had he lived longer, a sobriquet that was instead awarded to his brother Peter. Despite Feodor's short reign he introduced numerous reforms in that interval that were centuries ahead of their time. He seemed democratic even. It's like he was trying to check off a bucket list with all of these ambitious projects in the few years he had left, and it's that much more poignant considering all the physical pain he must have been enduring through it all.

I would have actually preferred to have seen this young man reign another 30 year as Czar, continue to evolve as a ruler and presumably produce heirs, rather than the crown change hands to his brother Peter. Most historians probably wouldn't agree with me. I realize that Peter changed the face of Russia by expanding the military and adopting culture and aesthetics from Western Europe, but he was also a cruel tyrant who left schisms in his culture over religion, brutally suppressed rebellions, bled his people with taxes, let Moscow burn and killed his own son. For that l will always choose the underrated Feodor as the best of the three sons of Czar Alexei!

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
I am all finished with the story if the Romanovs, and actually had tears in my eyes as it ended. It was hard to watch the photographs fade away of Czar Nicholas, Alexandra, Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia and Alexei.

I am still as hungry ad ever for Russian history though, and don't want to put down the books and documentaries just yet. After this fascinating look at the Romanovs I am turning the pages of the history book backwards a bit, and going to look into the Rurik dynasty. The link between the Romanov and Rurik houses was Ivan the Terrible's 1st wife Anastasia Romanova, so I think I will start with his reign and work my way back to the 800s when the house was founded.

I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a good biography on Ivan IV? I want to read something that has really updated scholarship. As bloody as his reign may have been, I am also aware that a great deal of legend is atributed to Ivan the Terrible as with Vlad III Dracul 'The Impaler.' So I want to make sure I am reading about things the Czar actually did, not made up things like blinding his architect so the man couldn't make anything more beautiful for anyone else, or the fictional wife that he was supposed to have drowned for being unfaithful. Tell it all, but tell it true.

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
3,207 posts
3.7 Years
Hi there history fans,

If you visit the club Four Seasons: Feast of Life then you might already know about my recent trip to Biltmore Estate. The historic 1890s manor house built by the Vanderbilt family. This is a special time to visit the museum as they are hosting a Downtown Abbey exhibit, a traveling show based on the Edwardian television drama Downton Abbey. I haven't watched the series in awhile, but it brought back tender memories, especially of the scheming Thomas Barrow, my favorite character. In the exhibit they have costumes from the show on display, recreated sets, video installations and audio tours that are set up with 1900s style phones you can listen to commentary over. It's really smart! There's lots of interesting trivia about real historical people who parallel Downton Abby, and a tantalizing window into the Golden age. This a period I have a weak spot for, Edith Wharton, Thomas Hardy, Henry James.

Here are a few pictures that I thought would be a nice addition to the history club.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

MysticalNinetales

Age 19
Female
Canada
Seen 23 Minutes Ago
Posted 19 Hours Ago
725 posts
2.1 Years
Well I’ve never seen the show Downtown Abbey, I very much enjoyed BenDelacreme’s portrayal of Dame Maggie Smith on Snatch Game on Rupaul’s Drag Race season 6!

I will say, I do love both the Victorian era and the golden age as well. There’s just something about the late nineteenth century and the early twentieth century that is so alluring and interesting! From the fashion, to the overarching culture, it truly was an iconic period.
Advertiser Content