• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Celebrate: Winter is Coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

The Days of Winter​

Hello everybody! This day of December 21st is officially the first day of winter for the Northern Hemisphere. It is called the winter solstice, and it is the shortest day and longest night of the year. On the winter solstice total darkness occurs every point north of the Artic Circle for 24 hours.

With so much excitement over the holidays in the air at pokecommunity, this seems an opportune time to host a club where we can celebrate together. Though today is Winter Solstice, anything from this December goes. Feel free to talk about Hanukkah if you celebrated it his year, or any Christmas or Kwanzaa plans you may have. This club will be here for part of January as well, so New Year's Eve, the Chinese New Year, a member's birthday and more is also very much welcome in our winter house friends. A different topic will be up each day, so check back.

To elaborate a little more on the special occasion we have today, the solstice happens when our earth's axis tilts at an angle of 23.5 degrees in relation to the sun. We also refer to this as the sun appearing over the Tropic of Capricorn, which is located 23.5° south of the equator and runs through Australia, Chile, southern Brazil, and northern South Africa.

This wonderful occurance will be at precisely 5:23 pm Eastern Standard. The solstice ends on January 1st 2019.

It has been theorized that Neolithic monument of Stonehenge was built to mark solstices and equinoxes, in addition to serving as a burial ground and place of sacrifice. The structure of Stonehenge is interestingly aligned directly to the sunset during winter solstice.

There will be a full moon tonight. We are also in the middle of experiencing a phenomenon known as the Ursid meteor shower, which will continue through Christmas. Look towards the sky, you may see a shooting star! If I find a livestream to share from a space center. I will be certain to share it during our winter celebration.

To read more about festivities and traditions regarding the Winter Solstice from around the world click here. https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_585970abe4b03904470af4c5/amp

For more information on the Ursid shower and phases of the moon see below.

https://in-the-sky.org/news.php?id=20181222_10_100

I also wanted to include a song by a Celtic or new age artist in honor of today. I have chosen my favorite song by the beautiful Canadian sorprano and musician Loreena McKennit to get us in the mood for winter. The haunting melody is called Snow. Please listen and enjoy.

Happy Holidays near and dear ones,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JfXKEySv_wA

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024

Happy Winter Solstice!

tenor.gif

❄ For any and all holidays you celebrate this time of year!

Thanks to VisionofMilotic and her inspirational work, this thread exists to bring together people who love this glorious time of year! Regardless of your religious (or lack their of) affiliations, we're here to come together and celebrate the spirit of thankfulness, giving, and love. On top of that, the moderators of the Clubhouse also want to wish you and yours a wonderful holiday season, a glorious winter, and a happy introduction to the new year! Let's make 2019 something truly special!

Let's start by asking some questions. :)

• What did / what are you going to do to celebrate this time or year?
  • Out of all of 2018, what are you most grateful for?
  • Is winter your favorite season? Do you love the snow?

❄ For those of you who already held a celebration..

We recognize not all holidays fall on the same day, so we'd like to offer some special attention to those who have already concluded their holiday celebrations!

• Did you spend time with lots of family?
  • How was your holiday? Did you give / receive any wonderful gifts?
  • Describe the food you enjoyed!

❄ And if you don't recognize a winter holiday..

Because of our wonderfully diverse community, we are fortunate to have all walks of life on the forums. So these questions apply to those who are atheist, do not conform to the more "traditional" holidays, or simply choose not to partake in holiday activities.

• Is there a winter celebration that you recognize (Human Light, etc)?
  • Do you choose to spend time celebrating with family despite not conforming to their religious beliefs?
  • Is winter still a favored season of yours?

❄ Keep responses tasteful and polite please!

❅ Love & Light

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Would it be in bad taste if I thought this was a GoT thread at first? Merry Christmas everyone, and a Happy(and sober) New Year.

Years
I'm in the mood to discuss holiday decor as a topic. Perhaps it is because the Christmas Tree is up at last in my own home, the holiday lights are sparkling amd the fireplace roars. The ornamental reindeer is in the front yard, and I will snag a picture of old Rudolph this weekend.

I would like to share this fascinating article on the origins of the Christmas Tree. Take a look dear ones!

https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/trees.shtml

In response to my lovely Sylveon sister,

What did / what are you going to do to celebrate this time or year?

Even though I won't officially celebrate Christmas until the 25th, I have already enjoyed some special evenings with family and friends. I went with my aunt and uncle this week to the theater for a staging of a Christmas Carol.

Basically it will be a quiet Christmas, feasting and sharing presents with loved ones. I'm going to be staying with my mum, and watching different versions of The Nutcracker ballet she has on DVD. Seeing the Disney film adaptation this winter was a great way to kick off the season.

The day after Christmas there is a chamber music concert at a Moravian village I will treat my name too. It is a performance of Peter and the Wolf with authentic baroque instruments. It is part of a winter festival in my city.

Out of all of 2018, what are you most grateful for?

Easily the people I love. 2018 brought me a lot closer to my dad, who I wasn't around much. I have made a lot of amazing new friends this year, and gotten to know old friends better. I also recently have found a thrilling partner in crime. Thank you all!

Is winter your favorite season? Do you love the snow?

My favorite season is summer. I love the warm weather, and it seems like this when the most exciting events are happening in terms of the social life. But winter has its good points, the holidays, the baking, and definitely the snow. We got 16 glorious inches the week before last. I enjoy watching some of the winter sports like ice skating, building snowmen and getting a snow day off. The world of winter also offers some gorgeous photo ops with my camera!

Reactions: Kai
Years
What?! VisionofMilotic is evolving... congratulations! Your VisionofMilotic just evolved into a Snorlax!

All of those sweets look so scrumptious Fairy. You are going to turn me into glutton. Num, num! Yummy! *swallows tray of cookies*
Thank you for the lava cookies!

Baking and sharing meals are such beloved parts of holiday tradition.

In my home another tradition is enjoying a Christmas program with family. How the Grinch Stole Christmas and A Charlie Brown Christmas are a few ones I know almost by heart.

This year I went to see a play of a Christmas Carol in my community along with loved ones. It was a musical adaptation. The soprano who sang the role of the Ghost of Christmas Present was my favorite of the cast. She had a very strong voice, good comedic timing and radiated a warm stage presence. It was a very lush production overall. The cast was available to chat afterward and very nice.

Below is a still from the show I saw.

I leave you wonderful folks out there with the e-copy of the literary classic A Christmas Carol to read if you never have.

http://www.open-bks.com/library/classics/dickens_charles_carol/carol.html

I also have included the audiobook if you prefer.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmOioOyFMRk

Last, but certainly not least, I have a beloved film adaptation from the 1950s that does the novel great justice starring Alistair Sim. I hope you will enjoy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bLMzzX8VuBg

I would like to ask as my question of the day if you have any favorite holiday movies, books or songs?

Last edited:

Kai

Wayfarer
Years

Give presents, eat cookies, attend a thematic church service, visit relatives, look at displayed Christmas decorations, make hot chocolate, and so on.

Making a new friend is at the top of my list. Haven't found one of those in a while despite crossing paths with plenty of acquaintances, project partners, and allies this year.

Spring is currently my favorite season. Highlights include the comfy weather and nature springing up. Yes, I love snow. It's like sand made from ice that basically cleans itself up when the temperature rises. Sculpting with it is fun when there is enough around.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
Celebrations: Went to Church (service was not as good as last year), visited relatives, went gift shopping, etc.

2018 Thanks: Passing Philosophy and making new friends

Opinion on Snow: Spring is my favorite season, but I do enjoy a little snow around winter (even though PA winters after Christmas are unbearable).

Years

I am celebrating Christmas, my absolute favourite holiday. I will be heading to my grandmother's this evening before attending a church service. (As we do, every year.) Christmas day is when presents are gleefully opened at the crack of dawn, before my mother, sister, and I play Christmas carols and indulge in scrumptious Belgian waffles. (A tradition!) Christmas night, I attend my grandparent's house on the other side of the family for a meal and a gift exchange. It's safe to conclude that this beautiful Christmas will be spent with loved ones!

Also, it's safe to say that I've binge-watched my fair share of Christmas classics.

giphy-66.gif

I am grateful for my friends and family. Without their love and support, I would not be in my current state of joy. I am also thankful for God and all of the blessings He's given me this year. 2018 was truly a grand year.

Winter is not my favourite season. I prefer Autumn and Spring. I adore the warm but not sweltering weather in spring, I love the glorious rain, the beautiful flowers, and how the season is so representative of life springing from death. I also adore the immense beauty of Autumn. The leaves, the fashion (Gotta love blanket scarves, beanies, and knee-high heels!), anything pumpkin spice, and Halloween, of course. I am a December baby, however, and so I do have an appreciation for winter. I do enjoy Christmas and New Years, as well as Valentines Day. I do live in a cooler climate so our winters can be rather harsh and lengthy, but I still love snow and the quietude associated with the season. :)

Last edited:
Years
Merry Christmas everybody! I know it will be a busy day for many of us, but it wouldn't be Christmas without family, and all of you guys here at pokecommunity are part of my family so I needed to see you guys too. I will come back and tell you more about my adventures today, but I just wanted to give each and every one of you hug. I am very blessed to wake up today and spend a moment with you.

I have an interesting video I wanted to present on the evolution of Christmas from the history channel. It also references the holiday Yule.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4wmp0HPCOxk

Christmas is not the only winter holiday though and testament of faith and gratitude. I wanted to acknowledge Hannukah and Kwanzaa. I found these two videos informative and hope you guys will too.

Hannukah
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA6TdTdAKk

Kwanzaa
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6aEbpFb1HZY

Years
Hi all,

I hope your winter has been delightful. There was a winter festival in my area, and last week I saw a concert performance of Peter anf the Wolf at a beautiful historic church in my city. It was a lot of fun. One of the special treats was a guest opera singer who narrated this classic piece of music. His name is Jason McKinney and he has a magnificent, warm, rumbling bass. He was put so much personality and wit into the phrases as he made this fairytale come to life. He is such a great artist. He even shares some of his original and sang spirituals to whet out appetite before the performance. I journeyed to buy his CDs. and got to shake his hand after the concert and have a good talk with him. I will be going to see him wherever he sings.

I couldn't take all of you guys with me to the winter music festival alas. But I do have a great stop animation to share of Peter and the Wolf. The puppets are so beautiful and expressive, and there fun twist at the end.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TcisCR3-OFU

This is my New Year's Eve present to you all. Happy New Year's everybody.

Do you have any special plans for your New Year's Eve tonight?

What about a New Year's resolution?

Reactions: Kai

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
Making a fruit smoothie with whipped cream on top and drinking it out of a porg mug is my current plan.

For the New Year's resolution I'll pick general improvement again. Can't go wrong with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back