• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Space

Years
I mean, it depends on what kind of setting I'm using. I will typically describe the immediate setting to any specific story/chapter with rather great detail since I think that's a great way to create imagery and add a specific mood to a scene and the amount of detail included with gradually decrease the less immediate the setting is to the character. The actual size though could be anywhere from a single room to an entire solar system.

When it comes to transport, a lot of that also depends on the setting, but I prefer not to focus on moving from point A to point B unless important events occur along the way. A bunch of chapters just dedicated to travelling without any major plot or character development would be rather boring.

Bay

Years
When it comes to like rooms and buildings, I tend to go simple descriptions though it also depends how large the room/building is. With outside settings I would go a bit further the first time around also. Transport also depends on the setting and time period. I have done animals/Pokemon, walking, vehicles, trains/etc. I mentioned in one of the other threads how with some routes in Pokemon the tricky part is how long it'll take a trainer from point a to point b.

Years
I don't do much description 'cause most of my stories take place in landmark areas of the Pokemon world - a coupla details and the reader will know about it. The stories do span across two or more regions though, so I have a lot of places to keep track of.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I love to detail scenes and people as much as I can, even though I'm sure for some it could grow to be boring. I like to paint the picture that's in my mind as best as I can so I can better relate my ideas to whoever decides to read what I write. I try more often than not to go bigger and create an entire world for the story to live in because at least for me it's easier to go big and then consolidate than to start small and try to expand. The story itself might only focus on one individual, building or city but without knowing the full extent of what's happening on a global scale in regards to the story I have trouble justifying some of the things I would like to put into it. Most of the time when I have characters moving large distances I use chapter breaks, which is kind of lazy I suppose but I haven't found a better way to go about it yet without including ridiculous walls of dialogue or just pure awkwardness.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I tend to describe the mood and atmosphere of a room. Every detail I mention should serve a purpose. I'll only mention the chair in the corner if someone's actually going to sit in it, and I'll only describe the musk of rotting flesh if I need to evoke repulsion. I could go on and on to describe the room exactly the way I'm imagining it, but I find those descriptions to drag and be really boring. The important thing for me is that the reader feels like they're there, that doesn't mean that this mythical there is the exact room I'm imaging. We tend to fill up on details and make assumptions a lot and that's a tool a writer can really exploit.

Most of the time when I have characters moving large distances I use chapter breaks, which is kind of lazy I suppose but I haven't found a better way to go about it yet without including ridiculous walls of dialogue or just pure awkwardness.

It's not lazy at all, I'd say. Cut away when there isn't anything happening. Travel scenes are great to create some personal moments between characters but that doesn't mean it has to happen every single time.

I have a friend who used to write following a tabletop RPG mindset, meaning that every travel session had to have some events. In D&D or Pathfinder, these events rarely influence the plot in a major way. It's jarring to break up the plot for a random fight, however. If something happens during travels, only describe it when it helps either the plot or the character development.

Back