• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Love-hate relationships

Years
This thread is for pokemon that are useful but do not agree with you. Perhaps you find its design really unappealing, had a bad experience facing an opponent with this Pokemon or just found it frustrating to obtain. It could be an over-exposed character from the franchise. Whatever the reason something turns off.

Would you be willing to let bygones be bygones and add such a Pokemon to your team if its viable? Or do old feelings die hard?

For me old feelings die hard. I'm not raising an exeggcutor. It could be good on my sun team, but its pokedex entry about its heads falling off creeps me out, its designs especially as exeggcute are close to parody and I am still salty about all the times this thing has exploded on me in the battle institute or Blue's gym.

Years
If push comes to shove, why not? I'll use Pokemon even if they're not really my first choices to come to mind. In order for me to swallow my pride and come to that conclusion though, said Pokemon would have to offer a lot to my team synergy in order or me to look past their other faults (which would usually be aesthetical or something of that nature).

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I don't really have vendettas against any Pokémon except Pikachu, and even I was able to suffer that in SM to get myself a Raichu-A. There's nothing I would dislike to the point of not wanting on my team if it turned out that it would be useful, haha.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
In my case, Garchomp.

It is so damn powerful in battle, and while I also had positive experiences, most are negative...

Aside, I just do not see the appeal in its design. AT. ALL.
You'd may say a hybrid of a dinosaur, dragon and a shark would be like the most epic thing in the world... but to me it is just too exaggerated, overdone, overkill...

So, yeah, when I meet a Gible, I do not think about catching it.
And saying Charizard/Lucario/Greninja is overrated... add Garchomp to that list.

Years
While we are on the subject of ground Pokemon I have got to mention my murderous rage for the Krookodile line. I will never, ever use this Pokemon as God as my witness even as a rental. I would soft reset the game first.

Clay is the only gym leader in Unova I was forced to reset my game over. I had no issues with Elesa, yes her Emolga is annoying volt switching in and out. However, my Pokemon were always able to stay alive as they ate their berries and in the case of Servine drain back health. I have fortunately never lost a Pokemon to Elesa. This was not the case with Clay, and this evil alligator is the reason why.

If people remember Clay they probably think of Excadrill as his strongest Pokemon. This is true, however while all eyes are on that looming threat, his Krokorock can be the knife in the back that you never saw coming. I first saw Krokorock and underestimated it, laughing as my Servine set up growth to prepare to sweep Clay's whole team. In that time Krokorock managed to get off a swagger. I was not overly concerned, thinking this would work to my advantage. I ohkoed Krokorock with Leafblade on the next turn, and decided to stay in so I could take advantage of the stat boost. All I needed was one hit to win because my attack was so high. I did not get it... My Servine hit himself 4 FRIGGIN times in a row during confusion, allowing Excadrill to set up hone claws over and over, then sweep my whole team and take the cake.

This almost happened all over again in White 2 due to Krokorock using Torment, but that is a story for another time. I would happily adopt a milktank, maybe even Emolga... but never this thing! MAY PLAGUE FALL UPON THE HOUSE OF SANDILE!!!!

Last edited:

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I hate Dragonite.

I've hated Dragonite since I was a small kid back in the early Red and Blue days. So many traumatic memories of having my butt kicked by Dragonite on the school yard. All my friends used to play with Dragonite and it just used to constantly destroy me. It was hard to enjoy your favorite pokemon team as a kid when it felt like everything died to Dragonite.

Then when generation 2 was released, I hated Dragonite even more because of Lance and his cheating Dragonites. I had to spend so much time over grinding my pokemon just so I could beat Lance's cheating Dragonites. I to this day hate Lance, whenever I see his face all I can see in my mind is a big fat cheater who probably would always lose if he wasn't able to cheat.

After generation 2 I was hoping the age of Dragonite was over. I was a much more skilled battler at this point and I was able to beat most of my friends at pokemon battling. However Dragonite was still a popular pick for online competitive battling starting in generation 4, but it wasn't until generation 5 where my hatred for Dragonite was once again reignited into a fiery hate fueled passion, the introduction of Multiscale made me want to punch every Dragonite in the face. They took one of the most insanely over powered pokemon and decided it was just not powerful enough, so they decided to make it even more obnoxious to deal with. Great. With the addition of Multiscale Dragonite, I often had to plan my team around having a distinct Dragonite Killer.

Dragonite, I will probably never learn to like you.

Years
Thanks to Kahili in S/M, I'm growing a notable hatred towards Mandibuzz.

While I have obtained this Pokemon, it was mainly for Dex completion but the reason why I hated hers in particular is because she spams so many annoying moves with it, such as Roost, Snarl and worst of all... Toxic. I mean, I always have to level up so high or use a Z-Move just so I can kill it in one hit and doesn't do its Toxic shenanigans.

I also hate Kahili's Oricorio for Teeter Dance spam (it's thanks to her I have a massive burning hatred for that move), but Oricorio's interesting concept and design doesn't make me want to hate it. Had it not had that unique gimmick, I would have hated that thing even more.

Last edited:

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
Years
There are probably ones that I hate more but I don't really like Pikachu
Sure it's pretty cute but it isn't very great stat wise and I don't understand why people like it so much other than for it's design, although I did end up using one on Omega Ruby for a little while
And why is it the mascot? There are better Pokemon to make the mascot

my 666th post btw

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
Years
I think Sylveon's eyes are more creepy than cute, because the color is too light. (Other parts are so beautiful, I don't hate at all)
And I don't really hate anyone! If some pokemons are strong and annoying, I think the problem is lack of my skill and the pokemon did nothing wrong, so I don't blame them.

Last edited:

IlluminateRipple

Reader of Books. And other things
Years
I think Sylveon's eyes are more creepy than cute, because the color is too light. (Other parts are so beautiful, I don't hate at all)
And I don't really hate anyone! If some pokemons are strong and annoying, I think the problem is lack of my skill and the pokemon did nothing wrong, so I don't blame them.

First thing I thought when I saw Sylveon:
Is it Blind?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Crobat

It always outspeeds my Pokémon unless I have a Jolteon or Electrode on my team. It's a nightmare to face since it generally likes to run Confuse Ray + Bite and/or Air Slash whenever the main villain uses it. Golbat and Zubat are no slouches, either, but I find Crobat most problematic, since not many Pokémon in the same region can outspeed it.

Some pros I can name for Crobat, in spite of all this, would lie in its' Abilities; Inner Focus and Infiltrator. Each Ability has its' own uses. It can also learn Brave Bird through breeding from Gen IV onwards. It isn't too bad at using the Choice Band in Generation III.

Years
For it's Dragonite(especially before the phyical/special spilt) and Flygon. They are far from my least favourite Pokemon(although Dragonite is pretty dorky looking) but they aren't too fun to train.

I trained a Dragonair in Pokemon Gold but it's no means the strongest Pokemon in my party(I do love the design though). It's move set is pretty limited especially since it doesn't have a good STAB move. But not only that, it hasn't evolved yet due to gen 2 level curve problems. Even if it did, it would be hard to come up with a decent moveset since there weren't a lot of good Dragon moves back then. Even if there were good, all of them are special moves so it doesn't matter much. The only really useful flying move it can learn is Fly.

Well with Flygon, training Trapinch and Vibrava is a pain in the neck because there stats are really bad. It becomes strong once it evolves into Flygon but it takes a little too long for my liking. It's a shame because Flygon's design is pretty cool. However, getting one feels like too much work for what it's worth. I usually prefer training up Bargon despite taking longer to evolve. Mostly because the stats for that line are better distributed.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
For me, it's Umbreon. I'm not a big fan of support Pokemon, so it doesn't fit my play-style at all, and I also have had some really awful encounters with them in battle. Add to that how ridiculously popular it is with the fandom, and... Yeah. It just leaves me unsure how to feel about it.

Back