• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Pixel Art Discussion Thread

NTA

Where?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Where would I post if I just want to post one sprite? I'm having some trouble finishing it and I don't know what to do xD

Dorandragon

The Pixel Master
Years
Guys, I need some advice. I'm spriting for CaP2 on Smogon, and I've asked for advice on which shiny to use, but I've gotten basically no feedback. So i come to you guys, which i just in this instance remembered you guys being spriters.

Normal front and back
cap52female.png
cap52femaleback.png

Shiny A
cap52femaleshiny.png

Shiny B
cap52femaleshiny2.png

Shiny C
cap52femaleshiny3.png

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
Guys, I need some advice. I'm spriting for CaP2 on Smogon, and I've asked for advice on which shiny to use, but I've gotten basically no feedback. So i come to you guys, which i just in this instance remembered you guys being spriters.

Normal front and back
cap52female.png
cap52femaleback.png

Shiny A
cap52femaleshiny.png

Shiny B
cap52femaleshiny2.png

Shiny C
cap52femaleshiny3.png

I like option A the best, the palettes the most appealing in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
It's that time of month again! I haven't been told off yet, so, without further ado (crossposted from deviantart and everywhere else):

Pocket Spriter #10: A Long Day's Journey Into Sprite! Back after a long hiatus!

Today is a very special day. The kind of day that only rolls around once a year. 49 years ago today, this planet was graced by the presence of one of the greatest men ever born. Ruggedly handsome, with peerless acting skills, he took hollywood by storm. They never saw him coming. He came to steal the Declaration of Independence, but he ended up stealing our hearts instead.

I am talking, of course, about Nicolas Cage.

There's also Pocket Spriter tonight I guess.

For those in the dark: Pocket Spriter is a spriting tutorial livestream, where Seika and Twitch (me!) talk for hours about pixels on a screen, and occasionally about other dumb stuff like homestuck or Nicolas Cage. We make total idiots of ourselves and laugh at our own jokes. Sometimes we take requests. It's really fun!

We decided to make today opposite day! So Twitch will take Seika's usual panels and vice versa. It might be really fun or it might be a huge mess! Who knows? I certainly don't!

Panels are as follows. Times are EST:

6:00 - Combat Tips - Hosted by Seika
Fighting-types: confusing! Diverse! Under-represented! In this panel, Seika tackles the roughest, toughest type!

6:45 - Sprite Critique - Hosted by Seika
An old favorite panel, and one that requires audience participation! Users will submit their sprites for Seika to take a gander at and edit them to tell you what you could do better.

7:30 - It's All Greek To Me - Hosted by Twitch
Mythology is a great way to get inspiration for cool, creative Fakemon! Twitch will take user suggestions and make a fakemon up on the spot, just for you.

8:15 - Digitaru Monsutaa - Hosted by Twitch
Wait, I thought this was a Pokemon livestream?! Twitch sprites some digimon, in Digimon World Dusk/Dawn-style.

9:00 - Hieros Gamos - Hosted by Twitch
In true Opposite Day fashion, Twitch sprites some wacky monsters for Seika's game, Hieros Gamos! They all look very cool.

9:45 - Happy Hour - Hosted by Seika
In which we all get drunk and party. That, or sit around talking at our computers like dorks, and maybe play a multiplayer online game with our audience.

Come for ten minutes or come for ten hours; for as long as you can stop by, we'd love to see you! Heck, you might get a free request out of it, even! Again, the link to the stream is here: http://www.livestream.com/pocketspriter. You don't need to register or anything! Just stop by and comment creepily about how nice our voices sound. If you have skype, you can even join in! It is all going to be really fun.

That's all. Also Gavin (Abnegation) will probably be there, at least for the beginning, so you can ask him things about tiles and stuff.

Spycicle

Gentlemen.
Years
Question: How many people here have done sprites that use characters from Valve games? eg. TF2, L4D, Half-Life.

Years
Question: How many people here have done sprites that use characters from Valve games? eg. TF2, L4D, Half-Life.

I'm afraid that most of the community does Pokemon spriting, fusion and all that. I haven't seen a lot of people do other sprites or pixel art on other games or subjects.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
To be honest I think that that theme was just really tough, especially for us newer spriters :P I was extremely put off by that because anything I entered with would in no way shape or form resemble a pixel art scene ;)

I reckon when activity is low, the competitions really need to be fun orientated so more people enter? Iunno maybe sprite a new emoticon for PC?

Years
To be honest I think that that theme was just really tough, especially for us newer spriters :P I was extremely put off by that because anything I entered with would in no way shape or form resemble a pixel art scene ;)

I reckon when activity is low, the competitions really need to be fun orientated so more people enter? Iunno maybe sprite a new emoticon for PC?

I'll take themes regarding Pixel Art with PC in consideration.

But about WPC #18's theme, it was more directed to experienced and intermediate pixel artists. I felt as if they had become bored of Pokemon and Fakemon themes, reposes and whatnot over and over. So this was kind of an experimental theme, and I guess the results show that the PA community in PC is more comfortable with strictly Pokemon and relatives.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I would've drawn some **** if i wasn't like busy with real things. Almost nobody does backgrounds because woah i just spent all my time on my super special self insert character or fakemon dude do you expect me to draw and colour a whole landscape that resembles a real thing

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
It would have been better either being a scene or a character. Being both kind of turned me off.

Years
It would have been better either being a scene or a character. Being both kind of turned me off.

Yeah, I agree. I regret adding the Pokemon aspect to the theme and should have just stayed simple with any ol' scene. I'll make another one of these themes another time.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
649 Old Style Sprites

About a year ago, this started popping up around the Interwebs. I was wondering if anyone knew the original creator of this collection? I would like to get a hold of them.

Quite some great work. You should check it out if you haven't already.

I understand that this isn't my own work but I figure posting a thread about it might be the best way to find the author, or someone with connections to the author.

Years
[SIZE="a"]Have you tried to reverse search the image through google or used tinyeye? (In class right now, I can try searching for you when I get back.)[/SIZE]

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
^ that should be TinEye, but yeah you can try those however they usually don't give sources like deviantArt or stuff like that where it would be showcased by the artist.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
I've used Google Image Reverse search and it sent me to nothing but a bunch of reposts, unfortunately. I was hoping for a DeviantART page or something of the like.

TinEye didn't help either - it just linked me to a bunch of Japanese Pokemon blogs. I didn't consider the possibility of the author being Japanese, but judging by the 4chan Fakemon Tentaquil (the weird thing that comes after Genesect), the author probably speaks English.

Oh well, thanks for the help guys. Please if anyone knows the author, message me.

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
Years
Ahhh, its something to do with Sydian I think? I remember on the sprite discussions thread someone posting this image and mentioned making it using Sydian's device... but I have no idea what this is.

I'm possibly no help atall lol, but its worth a shot :]

Back