• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: [Hack of the Year 2017] - Pokémon Orange (GBC) [Movie 2000 Edition] (Fin)

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
This hack is discontinued due to its code base being too old for further updates. The game is being re imagined in a new engine being made from the ground up (its still a Crystal Hack). Be on the look out for Pokemon Orange: Island Walker for further updates!

Fkx5t6u.png

Pokémon Orange
Hack of Crystal Version (U)
By Pia Carrot

Intro:
Welcome to the world of Pokémon!

Rpvtt0M.png

Pokémon Orange is a Crystal hack by Pia Carrot/Kuroko Aizawa. The aim of this hack is not only to create a great Orange Islands hack, but also to give me experience to work on Ancient Platinum and raise it to an even higher standard.

I started hacking 8 years ago after playing Pokémon Naranja on a cartridge, and since then I've always wanted to see a good Orange Islands hack completed. However, it's never happened to this extent, so I've decided to take matters into my own hands.

Story:

You are a kid from Valencia Island who wants to become a Pokémon Master, after hearing about a kid the same age named Red defeating the Indigo League 6 months ago. You set out on a journey to deliver the mysterious GS Ball to the esteemed Samson Oak, who is visiting the Orange Islands from the Alola region and to take on the Orange Crew! Play as Indigo or Orange, explore, fight goofy villains and walk into a fresh and nostalgic world to learn more about the wonderful world of Pokémon and to Catch 'em All!

Features:
9hVNtmv.png

dsGgxBO.gif
The entire Orange Archipelago!*
dsGgxBO.gif
OI and Alolan Variants, and the Crystal Onix
dsGgxBO.gif
Pinkan Berries that work!
dsGgxBO.gif
Anime-based story in Gamefreak format
dsGgxBO.gif
20th Movie inspired Ho-oh/Marshadow event
dsGgxBO.gif
Dive and Rock Climb
dsGgxBO.gif
Clock Reset NPC for flashcarts
dsGgxBO.gif
Shiny Charm and Exp. All
dsGgxBO.gif
New cries
dsGgxBO.gif
Reuseable TMs
dsGgxBO.gif
Gen 7 Base Stats
dsGgxBO.gif
Updated Learnsets
dsGgxBO.gif
...And much, much more!

*An island with Giant Pokémon was left out​

Screenshots:

Outdated:
Spoiler:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Awards:
zmul7um.png

Downloads:
i8Lle7y.png

Please do not report bugs from the HotY Nominee Edition. They have been fixed or are being fixed for the next release. You can build the latest version here: https://github.com/PiaCarrot/pokeorange

Movie 2000 Edition

Bugs (We hate these!):

Bug Bite effect is not implemented yet
Form split still has some bugs to be worked out

Credits and Thanks:
Bloodless
dsGgxBO.gif

Bronzeswagger
dsGgxBO.gif

BynineB
dsGgxBO.gif

coraldev
dsGgxBO.gif

Doc
dsGgxBO.gif

EeVeeEe1999
dsGgxBO.gif

FIQ
dsGgxBO.gif

Froggestspirit
dsGgxBO.gif

Gmerc
dsGgxBO.gif

i0brendan
dsGgxBO.gif

Jaagup
dsGgxBO.gif

JustinNuggets
dsGgxBO.gif

Kalarie
dsGgxBO.gif

Koolboyman
dsGgxBO.gif

Kreestanala
dsGgxBO.gif

Lakeofdance
dsGgxBO.gif

Lepragon
dsGgxBO.gif

Luckytyphlosion
dsGgxBO.gif

Luna
dsGgxBO.gif

MakoReactor
dsGgxBO.gif

MayoRaptor
dsGgxBO.gif

Metalflygon08
dsGgxBO.gif

Mmmmm
dsGgxBO.gif

MonstaRules
dsGgxBO.gif

morganwalkup
dsGgxBO.gif

Mystelex
dsGgxBO.gif

Neslug
dsGgxBO.gif

Nuukiie
dsGgxBO.gif

Patrickackerman
dsGgxBO.gif

Pum
dsGgxBO.gif

Rangi
dsGgxBO.gif

Regen
dsGgxBO.gif

ShantyTown
dsGgxBO.gif

SirWhibbles/JaceDeane
dsGgxBO.gif

SoupPotato
dsGgxBO.gif

SteppoBlazer
dsGgxBO.gif

Sukiyami
dsGgxBO.gif

TriteHexagon
dsGgxBO.gif

triumph
dsGgxBO.gif

CSS by PEDRO13, Clacla and Pia Carrot

Last edited:
Years
So you have finally created your own thread of Pokemon Orange that's great, also i have​ already tried that demo and it's​ perfect just like actual core series, looks like we can say this as official Gen1.5 game!
So best of luck in your upcoming beta...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
Pretty good; Only wrong things were Wingull's sprite that looked like a messed up Sentret and a bug catcher walked into water to come and battle me. Said bug catcher also gave me his number after the battle despite the lack of a pokegear.

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 10, 2023
Nice concept with some solid exeggcute-tion thus far. Tiles are very well done and look like they were meant to be in gen 2 all along (the rse water specifically). The Alolan Varients are a nice touch (not like every hack is gonna be adding them or anything). Definitely a hack to watch even if its an anime based idea for the most part(like including not-Brock). 7.8/10 too much water.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
Nice. Will this follow the Orange Islands anime or is this its own thing?

Also hey, first real post in two years.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today

It will kinda do that as it's a mid-quel between RBY & GSC. It will have Tracey as your rival and also Brock & Misty will make an appearance at some point.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years

It loosely follows the anime but this is not an anime hack like Ash Gray. It's meant to be more like the core games such as RBY and GSC.

You can expect characters like Brock, Misty, Tracey, Nurse Joy, Team Rocket and Lorelei to name a few to make appearances like they did in the anime, but their roles may not be the same (for example, Brock being Ivy's assistant is not a thing in Orange, but he is heavily involved with the Crystal Onix event).

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
CBKQqt2.png
7ziiLjM.png
Xyb0FFa.png
mRDxbup.png

My friend asked me to release something before Beta 1 since he felt the alpha didn't really showcase what this was all about. I agree, so I've decided I'll be posting Alpha 2 once Mikan Island is finished.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Update 1-21-17
Zi80tgN.png

New Town Map interface. Resembles gen 1 but the main reason for this is just simply because of how huge the Orange Islands are, there's not even space for Towns and ground routes.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
It will kinda do that as it's a mid-quel between RBY & GSC. It will have Tracey as your rival and also Brock & Misty will make an appearance at some point.

It loosely follows the anime but this is not an anime hack like Ash Gray. It's meant to be more like the core games such as RBY and GSC.

You can expect characters like Brock, Misty, Tracey, Nurse Joy, Team Rocket and Lorelei to name a few to make appearances like they did in the anime, but their roles may not be the same (for example, Brock being Ivy's assistant is not a thing in Orange, but he is heavily involved with the Crystal Onix event).
Oh, I see. tyvm, can't wait to play the full game since we've never really had a good Orange Islands hack (other than Naranja but that was never finished) :P

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Update 1-21-17
Zi80tgN.png

New Town Map interface. Resembles gen 1 but the main reason for this is just simply because of how huge the Orange Islands are, there's not even space for Towns and ground routes.

Very nice! A few suggestions:

• Mark at least the Gyms and League with the "town/city" icon
  • Add the other three possible sharp corner tiles, besides bottom-left (just for variety)
  • Make some of the mountainous islands brown
  • Different route corners

GETOUrk.png

IIRC, you might include southern Kanto, right? Using RBY's map as a basis would be neat:

Kes2IWn.png

(Of course, you can safely expand gfx/misc/town_map.2bpp.lz since you don't have Pok?gear and don't need space in VRAM for its graphics.)

Last edited:

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Very nice! A few suggestions:

• Mark at least the Gyms and League with the "town/city" icon
  • Add the other three possible sharp corner tiles, besides bottom-left (just for variety)
  • Make some of the mountainous islands brown
  • Different route corners

GETOUrk.png

IIRC, you might include southern Kanto, right? Using RBY's map as a basis would be neat:

Kes2IWn.png

(Of course, you can safely expand gfx/misc/town_map.2bpp.lz since you don't have Pok?gear and don't need space in VRAM for its graphics.)

gJC6n57.png
dheOmhH.png

This is what I have so far. How would I change the color of the tiles like what you did for the Town icons and such?

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
This is what I have so far. How would I change the color of the tiles like what you did for the Town icons and such?

Oh, that's a better idea for Kanto's layout. No wasted space. (If Cinnabar Island is the small one you're on in that screenshot, what are the others?)

Edit engine/pokegear.asm:TownMapPals. It uses a "townmappals" macro to assign palette IDs 0 to 7 to the tiles of gfx/misc/town_map.2bpp.lz. And to change the colors, you edit engine/color.asm:MalePokegearPals and FemalePokegearPals. Also, the part of engine/pokegear.asm:Pokegear_LoadGFX that loads PokegearGFX is no longer necessary.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
UY5eoSf.png

Zppmz6R.png

Here we go! I still haven't done the mountainous islands but I will replace the normal mountain tiles with them later.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Found out about this in another section a few days ago I feel like...Anyhow, I want to wish you luck on this Pia! I am excited to see where this one goes :)

Thanks, it was in the Launchpad until we had enough content for Progressing Hacks.

Back