• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So I noticed something about the Sinnoh starters.

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2011
I noticed Empoleon isn't weak against Grass. But I also noticed that he's Water/Steel which is weak to Ground, and Torterra is Grass/Ground and learns Earthquake...

So...

Infernape beats Empoleon with Figthing. Torterra beats Infernape with Ground. And Empoleon beats Torterra with Flying.

Did no one else noticed how they made it perfectly balanced like that with the starters?!??

Last edited:
Years
Infernape's fighting moves and Torterra's ground moves can beat up Empoleon because it's part steel. Torterra is weak to Infernape's fire moves and Empoleon's water moves (actually, no, it's neutral to water, hmm). Infernape is weak to water and ground.

Torterra actually comes out on top as far as its types go.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
Years
Yeah, but it kinda sees the least usage outta the three:C Although it's my personal favorite.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I noticed Empoleon isn't weak against Grass. But I also noticed that he's Water/Steel which is weak to Ground, and Torterra is Grass/Ground and learns Earthquake...

So...

Infernape beats Empoleon with Figthing. Torterra beats Infernape with Ground. And Empoleon beats Torterra with Flying.

Did no one else noticed how they made it perfectly balanced like that with the starters?!??

But one disadvantage Empoleon has is that it doesn't have a STAB advantage like Infernape and Torterra.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Infernape has the best type combo. Torterra pwns the other two starters but its typing becomes a liability elsewhere. Especially that 4x Ice weakness since many people carry Ice Beam to deal with Dragons. Empoleon's typing is also a liability, as it's neutral to Fire and weak to Ground, two of the primary types that Water Pokemon are called in to extinguish.

Ayselipera

So...

Empoleon isn't a flying type. So that doesn't work.

Empoleon is weak to Infernape because Infernape is part fighting type and Empoleon is part steel. On the same note Infernape is weak to Empoleon because Empoleon is part water while Infernape is part fire.

Hopefully the coloring helps.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
I think it's perfectly balanced if you include the super-awesome Ice Beam, that shoops the whoop off the grassy grounds as previously mentioned. Ofc, that is if the trainer decides to actually use the TM on Poley.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
And we actually got a Psychic/Dark/Fighting starters!!!
Came here to say that, yeah haha. But instead of being backwards strong (such as Torterra having a type strong against Infernape) they made the Kalos starters double strong forward instead; Chesnaught can pummel Greninja's Water with its Grass and Dark with its Fighting.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I wonder if in a new gen they'll give all the starters the same secondary typing?

Probably not, but seems the only remaining notable thing to really do with typings outside of not using the tried-and-tested Grass/Water/Fire theme, and I don't see that happening.

Back