• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Saddest anime (series or movie) you've ever watched?

Years
your lie in april was so good, but so tough to watch... the most i cried in an anime though was grave of the fireflies (ghibli anime movie). both were painful ;_;

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
The Little Mermaid Hans Christian Anderson is the saddest anime movie I have ever seen and it made me cry.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
Wolf Children made me cry like a little kid who can't get his candy. It just destroyed me.
Clannad 2nd season is gut-wrenching too.

IKR?? The second season was heart wrenching.
;-;

Forgot to add this one to my previous post-- ERASED; Banana Fish and Given.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I would say something along the lines of clannad, your name, or anohana since those are some of the ones that I can most vividly recall... but I've also watched a lot of anime since then and they're the most common recommendations. So I'll throw out a few that people might forget or not know about that got a decent reaction out of me recently.

Mushi-Shi - As a whole, Mushishi isn't all that sad, but it constantly hits you with really grounded scenarios that if you're a binger it can start to get to you pretty good. The second season is better than the first imo.

I want to eat your pancreas - A movie. A little bit more mainstream. I feel like this one can be hit or miss since it tells you right at the start how it be.

In this corner of the world - Another movie. If you enjoyed grave of the fireflies but want something a little prettier, less gritty, and similarly realistic, I'd recommend this.

Orange - I think I cried once? I remember being really frustrated so those might have been tears of irritation rather than sadness, but it had its couple of shining moments.

Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms - I only watched this movie after it was hyped to me by several people so I went into it expecting a lot more but still ended up shedding a couple tears.

Years
Beast Player Erin is one of my favorites, but it's grim in ways. Though it's a world with wondrous creatures and where nature is sacred, it is also a world of cruel circumstances. The main character has to have the courage to bear great hardships and she also came to know the pain of loss on her journey. It's a beautiful series, but it made me cry too.

Last edited:
Years
Beast Player Erin is one of my favorites, but it's grim in ways. Though it's a world with wondrous creatures and where nature is sacred, it is also a world of cruel circumstances. The main character has to have the courage to bear great hardships and she also came to know the pain of loss on her journey. It's a beautiful series, but it made me cry too.

I'd never heard of this but it looks really interesting.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Anohana, certain bad ends in re:zero, I can't really remember a lot, because I don't typically go looking for sad series I just get surprised sometimes.

But 5cm per second really hit me, those scenes in JoJo 1 & 2. Manly tears.

I'm sure I've seen other sad ones but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.
Oh wait, that's right I put up a mental block, DEVIL MAN CRYBABY.

When you watch it like a long movie as it was intended; destroyed me, that's the most beautiful and saddest anime/movie I have ever scene.

Its like when you think you've bottom out on the depression, it shows you even darker depths, but it doesn't let you go numb or get used to it.

I'd also add a few of the old school gundam saga, in some way its essentially the same story but the old ones were just good.

Allen303

A warrior who has lost his ability to fight, is on
Years
I think that this one of the saddest anime's movie the name is 'a silent voice' really heart touching story you should definitely watch it really good highly recommended by me
here's a trailer

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
A Silent Voice, Banana Fish, Your Name, Wolf Children, Anohana, and Fruits Basket are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I know Fruits Basket is a feel good series in some ways, but it deals with a lot of dark themes, and trauma, and it really is one of the sadder anime that I've seen.

Also, the old move Grave of The Fireflies.

Allen303

A warrior who has lost his ability to fight, is on
Years
Your Name

Also, the old move Grave of The Fireflies.

hey you have watched your name and grave of fireflies they both are good movies have you seen weathering with you there is a cameo of your name characters

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
hey you have watched your name and grave of fireflies they both are good movies have you seen weathering with you there is a cameo of your name characters

I have seen it! It was very good, and I would like it see it AGAIN.

Though, I didn't mention it here because it's a pretty feel good movie, so it was one of the rare Shinkai movies that I didn't find super sad. lol

Years
Elfen Lied made me cry a bit at the ending, though I think I watched it... around 2014? To be fair, I can't seem to recall any anime that recently made me sad.

Years
Easy. It's Beastars. I was forced to read it after I lost a bet, and it is without a doubt the most depressing piece of media I have ever read.

Edit: The story itself is depressing, not the quality. It is a good piece of media.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Easy. It's Beastars. I was forced to read it after I lost a bet, and it is without a doubt the most depressing piece of media I have ever read.

Edit: The story itself is depressing, not the quality. It is a good piece of media.

hm I haven't read the manga yet, loved the anime, so good, such a great world.

I may give it a go before season 2 comes out, up to the end of season one to give a refresher.

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
Years
One Piece.

It's a joke :P

Series? Clannad. Couldn't even finish it, and I'm not a crier.

Movie? Your Name. Love it, watched it 3 times and bawled my eyes out every time. And really, I'm not a crier. In fact, I suggested it to a friend and her response after watching it was the following:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Series? Clannad. Couldn't even finish it, and I'm not a crier.

same, I finished the first part, got my happy ending, and I want to finish it, but I'm just scared. I know from some vids I've seen that it gets even better, before it gets much worse.

I've heard some things, but I've also put up a stalwart mental wall of refusing to believe these things until I see them. Which again makes me afraid to watch..its like until I see it I can pretend they're forever happy.

Ok another tread just reminded me of this, but for real, rascal does not dream of bunny girl senpai. Follow that with the movie, and I was bawling. I haven't finished clannad but I will put this up there in terms of impact and feels, honestly that movie may have been sadder than anohana. When that scene happened I was just crushed.

Just want to add one more, for the classics, this series doesn't necessarily have one uniquely sad moment, but is just a series of unfortunate tales.

Vampire Princess Miyu I'd watch the dub.

vampire princess miyu 1997.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back