• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any ideas for getting over writer's block?

Years
Okay, I can't seem to get over writer's block for ONE story. This has been going on for weeks. I managed to do three short one-shots, but managed a total of three whopping sentences for my Delta Emerald, which is what I'm stuck on. Any suggestions for getting over writer's block besides praying for a miracle from the fanfiction gods?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Pray for a miracle. I'm not a regular writer by any means and only have short spurts of energy at random times in which I decide I actually want to write about something and can get around the other things I want to do. A lot of what I do do that gets me into the mood and the words to flow is listening to music or listening to people like LobosJr or Game Grumps play through games. Random little bits that they say can get me inspired and throw me off onto random tangents of creativity. The past couple of times I actually got something done in relation to writing was three or so days ago when I was listening in on Lobos play through the dark souls board game for the second time. Something I've not done that might help, is listening to or watching people play Pokemon Hacks and see the stories that they've created in a region similar to your own that you're stuck on. Seeing the way that one person writes something might get you to think of some other way that fits your story.

Or, as Bard said, write in small chunks. Even if its not good, just force it out. Either your bad writing will turn into something better as you progress, or you'll look back on it later on and know how to change it into something you actually want.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Writer's block comes in two forms for me. There's the "I don't know where the story is going at all" version, and the "I don't like the way the words come out" version. The latter is easier to get through than the first.

With that version, the only way to get through it is to just keep writing. Sure, the words might sound terrible, but each word that is written is one more word than there was before. Besides, getting the words to sound better is what editing is for.

If it's the first version of writer's block, then all that I do is work on other stories. I've written whole entire multi-chaptered fics and even just some small scenes I've been sitting on because I don't know what to write next for the current project. I'm still writing, because I feel like some writing should be done every day (when possible). But this gives my mind a break from my current project, and I find that all of a sudden, I get that little bit of inspiration to head back to my current project and continue.

Bay

Years
Like Astinus, I get stuck in one of those two forms. The "I don't like my words" version I just write whatever and I worry how to polish my wording after. That I don't really consider writer's block and more me being having self doubt with my prose, so just writing is usually the fix for that.

If I'm unsure where I want the story, I tend to ask around and brainstorm with others for ideas. Other times I might leave my current project alone for a while, and then after some time I'm able to think up several better other ideas. I know working on other projects works for many people, and I jump around several stories myself, although they're shorter stories and more manageable for me than trying several chaptered fics.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I listen to music. It's something that helps me focus more than most other things. If you're really eager to write anything, try listening to Pokemon music. :3 I usually just listen to random music or whatever I'm in the mood for. I agree with what others have said as well... it's good to pace yourself. Another thing I do is start little journals. I just take a notebook (mine are composition ones, but you can use any) and start writing down my thoughts. This counts as writing because you are writing something. It may not be what you wanted to write, but it helps to release some of the doubts and such you feel when doing so.

Back