• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old Pokemon rivalry stories?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Pokemon has been around since most of us here were kids; long time, so I'm curious if you ever got into heated debates over Pokemon themselves, cards, other franchises, etc.

Pokemon, both the anime and games, started airing in the States when I was in mid-middle school and it was all the rage. We loved the cards, the games, and would rush home immediately after school to watch the latest episodes. I dragged my mom to get cards (the worst ones possible too) for me to play with everyone else, etc.

But at the time, given my personality type, there was a little show called Digimon that I literally hated more than life itself because in my mind it was the "ripoff Pokemon". Despite the fact I never watched it. Oh, I hated it. I couldn't say enough bad things about it.

And one day after school, after Pokemon was over, I turned it to Fox for Digimon just to laugh at how stupid the characters looked, etc, and that damn theme song got right in my head, where I was listening to it again and again.... while still parading around the Anti-Digimon mentality persona I had at school.

And then I started watching it, from the beginning, and man, it was good. I wanted to keep watching it. I grew obsessed and I realized this actually even had a plot and characters, unlike Pokemon.

And when I grew out of Pokemon (the anime at least), I still had a soft spot for Digimon, and still it invaded my line of thinking quite a lot. I became a bit obsessed.

The dub of Digimon now is one of the worst things ever, but I can imagine if I gave it a chance in Japanese, I'd still find it pretty enjoyable.

Just hilarious that I was so adamant against it as a ripoff without ever giving it a chance, and yet I wound up liking it more.

Share yours.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I was very excited when Digimon aired, but disappointed in the show itself at first. However, whilst I didn't like the first series of Digimon at all (despite being forced to watch the whole thing plus the movie because my little brother liked it) I adored the PS1 game, and there was one series of Digimon that I did kind-of get into, although not to the extent of Pokemon. It was the series where the kid draws the red dinosaur at school, then meets up with the guy with the bunny, and they travel to the digimon world and do some stuff... can't remember it fully but it was a decent show for a kid.

I gave the next series a shot but it was something like kids morphing into digimon? And it was annoying and I couldn't get into it at all.

As for rivalry Pokemon stories, we had a lot of that as kids. I had yellow, my brothers got blue and red, and man, we would battle every day! As well as play the trading card game. I remember having a psychic and electric deck and being the champion for ages... until this kid came along with his fire/rock deck and destroyed me repeatedly. It was still fun though!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I was very excited when Digimon aired, but disappointed in the show itself at first. However, whilst I didn't like the first series of Digimon at all (despite being forced to watch the whole thing plus the movie because my little brother liked it) I adored the PS1 game, and there was one series of Digimon that I did kind-of get into, although not to the extent of Pokemon. It was the series where the kid draws the red dinosaur at school, then meets up with the guy with the bunny, and they travel to the digimon world and do some stuff... can't remember it fully but it was a decent show for a kid.

I gave the next series a shot but it was something like kids morphing into digimon? And it was annoying and I couldn't get into it at all.

I pretty much watched every series thereafter up until Savers, when I was finally too old to get into it, despite the fact the dub quality had improved greatly.

The one you mean is the third one, Tamers, which is almost universally heralded as the best one, and the one you didn't like was the 4th, called Frontier.
I seem to be in the extreme minority, but I actually think Frontier was one of the better ones and was the last one I really remember loving a lot.

Years
Earlier when i was 9 to 12, pokemon was my favorite anime. When i became mature, Digimon blew my mind. I felt pokemon B/W and X/Y a bit boring. Thats why, i didn't watch pokemon anymore on that time. Currently, pokemon S/M has become my favorite bcz they have changed many thing in this series. Unlike the old.

Last edited:
Back