• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Post your maps here to show them off and have them reviewed! If you're posting a map, please try to at least review the map posted above you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
wow, it's been a couple of years since I posted in one of these threads haha. glad I got first post here.

Extending+revamping an old forest map for my fangame. I haven't been doing much mapping lately so any tips would be appreciated! :D
Game: Pokémon Shadowstone
Made with: RMXP
Credits: Kyledove, Magiscarf, Red-eX
pretty big image so gonna direct link instead of spoilering:
http://i.imgur.com/eNjorS4.png

player goes right to left btw

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
wow, it's been a couple of years since I posted in one of these threads haha. glad I got first post here.

Extending+revamping an old forest map for my fangame. I haven't been doing much mapping lately so any tips would be appreciated! :D

The map seems good..
just try to reduce the gathering of mushroom from the right side of the map and add more flowers to the left side of the map,
It would look even better then :)

FSBS

Defunct
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019

New year, new mapping thread, huh?
I hesitate to critique this map, because without some help from you my mapping might still be ugly as all get out.
Fortunately, this map is pretty much perfect. It's simple, spacious, and large. I see a point of interest too, and it reminds me of Ilex Forest and Celebi (a point in my book), yet also evokes a simple early-game route. The ledges are logically placed as well; not allowing the player to skip all the grass, but also providing more convenient travel downwards as well.
My only suggestion would be to add more color. Can one encounter mushroom Pokemon in the mushroom patches?

I will be showcasing one of my own maps. I've run this from start to finish on /heg/ but I wanted to get more opinions.
Game: Kanto Roads (Working Title)
Made with: Advance Map 1.92
Name: Pewter City
Notes: A simplistic re-imagining of Pewter City with heightened, mountainous elevation. There may be shading errors. Pretty big map, so outside link:
http://i.imgur.com/wtW6aLu.jpg

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Notes: A simplistic re-imagining of Pewter City with heightened, mountainous elevation. There may be shading errors. Pretty big map, so outside link:

Ooooh, I like this. I like this a lot. I love how you used the trees to separate things in addition to the rocks. I really like how you redid the garden, and that mini-forest with the house looks kind of interesting. I'm usually not a fan of having tall grass in a city but it works here, imo. I also love what you did with Brock's Gym. My only real critique is that you used small trees to fill a lot of space that would honestly look better empty. You could probably also add some more small rocks to break up the tree monotony.

---

Spoiler:

Game: Pokemon RedChal
Name: Route 1
Made With: AdvanceMap 1.92
Notes: My goal was trying to keep the route a bit more open and more functional while still looking stylish. The fence serves as a semi-natural barrier to the grass, but I leave several openings on purpose to open up the space and give the character some travelling options. The ledges allow for easy jumping back into the grass. I left events in to show how the tiny spots off the path are used. The goal with the path was to fill the space naturally and provide clear, easy progression.

Last edited:

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years

Yo, that map is. Really good. That's a really impressive redesign of Pewter City. It feels like it could stand to be a little less square in regards to the tree line and cliff line in the southwest, and there is one small tiling issue
3guC0h8.png

The fence doesn't properly close off (Compare it to the edge fences on the other side), and the stair there doesn't use the proper tile for the left-most stair (compare to other stairs on the map). But like, aside from those, this map is really well done.

---

Here's one of my maps, to kick off the new thread.

Game: Touhoumon Fantasy
Name: Underground Road - Side Path
Made with: RPG Maker XP
https://i.imgur.com/YCtXtAB.png
The path is supposed to lead to a Legendary Puppet, and the instructions I were given were: "All Legendaries are to be gatelocked behind Waterfall. This one appears in the Underground Road. Go nuts!", so I did just that.

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
Years

It looks okay, I guess. It's passable - it'll work in game, but there isn't anything really special about it. Feels pretty generic. I will say, it's not bad - far from it.

It looks like you mixed Gen styles in there - and I'm not fond of that - but I think it could work with the re-colored grass.

Overall, it's pretty good.

Dionen

deprived of sleep
Years
Spoiler:

Game: Pokemon RedChal
Name: Route 1
Made With: AdvanceMap 1.92
Notes: My goal was trying to keep the route a bit more open and more functional while still looking stylish. The fence serves as a semi-natural barrier to the grass, but I leave several openings on purpose to open up the space and give the character some travelling options. The ledges allow for easy jumping back into the grass. I left events in to show how the tiny spots off the path are used. The goal with the path was to fill the space naturally and provide clear, easy progression.
I love routes where grinding is optional, but I don't really get the "the ledges allow for easy jumping back into the grass". I don't think they are really needed in this map, unless there are events the player shouldn't avoid. Ledges are usually used for shortening paths or/and providing a path without grass (usually following the opposite direction).
But it still looks good! the fences are a bit random (i suggest few long continuous paths instead of a bunch of short ones) but it feels nice anyway. The path placing is great!
Oh, the flowers. While I also love animated tiles (and throwing flowers everywhere), I think they should be grouped into flower fields/corners, instead of being randomly placed.
I overall like it, it's simple and feels smooth.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 14, 2023
Name: Cotebbin City

HNwTQkp.png

Edges of the beach aren't great, any ideas to fix them would be appreciated

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Name: Cotebbin City
Spoiler:
Edges of the beach aren't great, any ideas to fix them would be appreciated
That super oversaturated grass tile ruins the whole map for me to be honest. It's not that bad a map, but the grass makes the whole thing look bad. I'd lower the saturation, a lot. It shouldn't be too hard to make the beach look nicer, just smooth out the edges of the sand a bit. I also think the custom white building clashes a lot with the Gen III-ish style you're using for the rest of these. There's also a few things that confuse me about the design - like the purpose of putting a fence on the edge of the beach, especially when it doesn't even go the length of the beach.

---

Credits: Magiscarf
Spoiler:

Years
That super oversaturated grass tile ruins the whole map for me to be honest. It's not that bad a map, but the grass makes the whole thing look bad. I'd lower the saturation, a lot. It shouldn't be too hard to make the beach look nicer, just smooth out the edges of the sand a bit. I also think the custom white building clashes a lot with the Gen III-ish style you're using for the rest of these. There's also a few things that confuse me about the design - like the purpose of putting a fence on the edge of the beach, especially when it doesn't even go the length of the beach.

---

Credits: Magiscarf
Spoiler:

Nice map! The tileset is a bit cartoony, but that is just a matter of taste. Solid 8/10.

Really like the little island in the middle, just waiting to be explored and find the likely item ball laying there.
I am a bit bothered by the rocks though... I think they look like clouds rather than rocks.
And I prefer the smaller more detailed trees over the taller ones, but that's taste again.
Regarding the cave, I usually have higher caves (more than 1 layers of rock on top of eachother) for caves/cave entrances, but it could be a small hollow with 1 room, don't know. But still, taste.
_______

Made with: Advanced Map 1.92
Game: Fire Red
Credits: UnamedRombaseV2 - Dante, Seiyouh, Pey!, Shawn Frost, Zein, Zeo and Eddiee.
Map: Just a casual starter town
Spoiler:

Don't worry, if im actually going to use this, there is a plan regarding the grass in a starter town. Professor will come and fetch you when you go down the stairs.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Nice map! The tileset is a bit cartoony, but that is just a matter of taste. Solid 8/10.

Really like the little island in the middle, just waiting to be explored and find the likely item ball laying there.
I am a bit bothered by the rocks though... I think they look like clouds rather than rocks.
And I prefer the smaller more detailed trees over the taller ones, but that's taste again.
Regarding the cave, I usually have higher caves (more than 1 layers of rock on top of eachother) for caves/cave entrances, but it could be a small hollow with 1 room, don't know. But still, taste.
_______

Made with: Advanced Map 1.92
Game: Fire Red
Credits: UnamedRombaseV2 - Dante, Seiyouh, Pey!, Shawn Frost, Zein, Zeo and Eddiee.
Map: Just a casual starter town
Spoiler:

Don't worry, if im actually going to use this, there is a plan regarding the grass in a starter town. Professor will come and fetch you when you go down the stairs.

The layers on the trees look a little weird here and there and the stairs look out of place somehow... Besides that, I'd say it'd be a pretty good starting town. Overall, I'd give it an 8/10.
Note: I think the houses look too sharp to properly blend in with the rest of the tiles and their shadows should be ignored. My stairs are also kind of odd. Just haven't found/created THE tileset yet. Big rocks should be less saturated or the small rocks more.
Estern%20Town.png

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
The layers on the trees look a little weird here and there and the stairs look out of place somehow... Besides that, I'd say it'd be a pretty good starting town. Overall, I'd give it an 8/10.
Note: I think the houses look too sharp to properly blend in with the rest of the tiles and their shadows should be ignored. My stairs are also kind of odd. Just haven't found/created THE tileset yet. Big rocks should be less saturated or the small rocks more.
Estern%20Town.png

Sorry but i would only give 4/10
Because the whole map is slanted top left to bottom right...
Unless it is the demand of an event(i dont think it is so)
Loot at your grass path its moving top left to bottom right, and also the mountain... they are moving top left to bottom right...
I think you should change this orientation and it will look awesome.
Also reduce the number of slopes in the mountain. They are looking bit rough already.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Sorry but i would only give 4/10
Because the whole map is slanted top left to bottom right...
Unless it is the demand of an event(i dont think it is so)
Loot at your grass path its moving top left to bottom right, and also the mountain... they are moving top left to bottom right...
I think you should change this orientation and it will look awesome.
Also reduce the number of slopes in the mountain. They are looking bit rough already.

Thanks for your honest opinion, here are a few arguments: The mountain is supposed to end here, so it may look quite rough indeed. I could probably fix that by putting more effort in it
A huge part of the mountain is not even visible, but it's supposed to be quite steep.

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
hh.PNG

Base: Fire Red
Tool: AM 1.92
Note: I have used triple layered block . So, some tile may look unfinished in the map. In game it looks fine.
Oh, it is a starting town.

My only complaint is that the bottom's land looks a bit barren in comparison to the rest of the map, and the right's flower placement looks a bit off. Maybe a flower or two to the right of the rocks, instead of a line above them? Also, keep in mind that, logically, the player can walk through that area between the trees and the elevated land. You might want to move the right trees to the left a tad so that you can block that off without looking strange. Same issue occurs to the right of the pond.

This is me nitpicking, of course. Overall, it's not half bad. You might want to shorten the distance between the top houses and the bottom one, though, the path is a bit long for what this map is.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
By Trev:
Spoiler:

The overall shape of the path and the map in general look great, but I'm concerned about the lack of grass that would get in your way. The player can get through the map without any battle coming up, wild Pokemon or trainer battle. There's only one NPC that looks like a trainer (or two if that scientist is looking for a battle), and it seems you can avoid both of them. Would that be any fun? Now that I read your notes, that may have been your goal, since you mentioned easy progression.

I believe the map may have turned to be a bit too easy. That's my only criticism. As a way of fixing this I would force either a patch of grass to be on the player's way, either with a fence or a ledge, or a trainer that you can't avoid in order to get through.

I like that you've stuck loyally to the mapping style of the original games. Here's a bit of nitpicking though: I don't think the shade in the middle tiles of the trees below the fence in the middle of the map should be placed like this. It looks kind of out of place (imo), and in the originals I believe it's only used on trees that are in the corners of the map to illustrate the thickness of the forest, not on standalone trees like those.

Good job overall

By BUUTCranium:
Spoiler:

Looks simple and decent. Are there any trainers between the south entrance and the cave entrance?

One thing I don't like is the water mass, it looks too stiff. I think I would put a small beach on the south side, next to the rocky walls, or re-arrange the rocky walls so it doesn't look absolutely straight. Another water-related thing is: can player surf in all directions (west and south)? Have you thought of what maps connect to those directions?

concerns with tiles: tileset looks decent, though unfinished. The grass is a bit too flashy in comparison to the trees - try toning down the green component of its colors. I like that you changed some elements from the original FR tileset (since I dislike those) like the trees, the rocky walls, the fence and the regular plain grass floor, but what about finding a sand path that fits those new tiles, and also adjusting the color of the wild grass so it fits along with the color of the trees?

some note: you can crop the east side of the map by one or two tiles to save some space, since players can only see seven tiles left/right and you have eight

Spoiler:

I like this one, looks like an excellent first route. Personally, I would clear a bit of the grass near that ledge (not all of it) or at least put an item there so as to give an incentive for the player to prefer to choose that path when going south. So far it doesn't look to be faster than the original path he would take going north

Again, you can crop this map by two from either side and it wouldn't hurt it

Spoiler:

I love this map, clean and decent looking at the same time. I particularly like the small path in the bottom right corner, that would probably lead to an item or a shady NPC! And the ledge at the mountain on the bottom, I'd constantly wonder what's beyond it if I was coming from the topside, or wonder if I should jump over if I was coming from the downside. It's the little details like this that's made me love the Pokemon games. Good work!

I like the road/path placement, feels natural yet not too over the place. Personally, I would put those vases with the flowers near the gym in a more orderly fashion, maybe make a small square there with the smaller two-tile trees if you have those (I recommend you use those in your tileset, they add a lot imo)

The building and the fence on the beach are strangely placed though. They're a bit too near to the water. Sea levels supposedly rise, so it wouldn't make sense to build something so close to the water. That's nitpicking from me I guess.

I think you would need to block the sea with rocks, because currently the player is able to surf in all directions. If you're planning to map the entire sea, it can be a bit difficult to play through it, since you easily get lost if all you see is water. Keep that in mind.

And now for my map:
Spoiler:

Hack: Liquid Crystal
Map Name: Safari Zone

This is the Safari in the Orange Islands! That means there are no trainers on the map. I've yet to decide events like what items you can find. This area is home to some unique Pokemon, wild or given to you as rewards for doing well in the safari challenge. You can see that the map has a lot of connections in nearly all directions (east, west, north) so you can be sure there are other maps like it around it. The safari was designed to not be possible to be explored in one play-through of 500 steps - it's my personal dream to make the safari so large that you have to take your time with it to look all around the place!

Last edited:
Back