• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Just Programming

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 30, 2022
I'm interested in learning how to program games. There's a ton of resources on the Internet, I know, and there are also engines that allow you not know much about programming, like RXPGXP, but I'm still interested. Partially because I want to be able to more easily write and maybe share custom scripts for my Pokemon fan games, and partially because I want to develop my own stuff based on what I've learned from working with game development software.

Where should I start, though? I wasn't fortunate enough to have taken programming in school---it wasn't offered in high school and in college I wasn't sure which classes to take that would still be relevant. I guess this is a pretty basic question, but I would like to give myself a good background in Ruby, C, and Java, as well as learn some GBA console programming, but I'm just not great at teaching myself anything. I'm patient and can learn from project-based tutorials, but there's not a lot of free stuff like that out there.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 6, 2022
I'm interested in learning how to program games. There's a ton of resources on the Internet, I know, and there are also engines that allow you not know much about programming, like RXPGXP, but I'm still interested. Partially because I want to be able to more easily write and maybe share custom scripts for my Pokemon fan games, and partially because I want to develop my own stuff based on what I've learned from working with game development software.

Where should I start, though? I wasn't fortunate enough to have taken programming in school---it wasn't offered in high school and in college I wasn't sure which classes to take that would still be relevant. I guess this is a pretty basic question, but I would like to give myself a good background in Ruby, C, and Java, as well as learn some GBA console programming, but I'm just not great at teaching myself anything. I'm patient and can learn from project-based tutorials, but there's not a lot of free stuff like that out there.
theres a thread on here that's intro/basics of ruby programming. that's one of the best places I can suggest to start.

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
NewAgeSteel covered Ruby above, I don't have anything to add there.

I don't think that you should bother with C or Java unless you have a specific reason to use them (e.g. you're going to apply for a job, or want to use an engine that requires them).
It's hard to recommend a resource for learning C, there's an infinite number of terrible ones out there, so the best I can give you is C Programming Language, affectionately known as K&R.

Having said that, if you wanted to write a GBA game you'd be doing that in mostly C (or C++) and potentially a little ARM assembly (which is actually quite a nice language, but would be a huge pain to actually develop anything big in). Tonc and GBATEK were the tutorial and reference I consulted when I looked at this 8 years ago.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 6, 2022
Thanks, may I request a link to it.

Go into the Scripts,Tutorials, and Tools threads right here on Game Development. It's the second thread from the top, it's a moderator thread called the Basics of Ruby Language or something like that

Back